“Will Stay Somewhere Else Next Time” 2 of 5 stars

Villa Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1670 Monterey St, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401   |
Ranked #26 of 31 hotels in San Luis Obispo
Los Angeles, California
“Will Stay Somewhere Else Next Time”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

The first time I had traveled to SLO, I had booked a motel room that was further away, closer to the Madonna Inn. This second trip, I wanted to book a stay that was closer to the town center, but wouldn't have to pay a small fortune. I found this place on TripAdvisor for $66 a night. It was so close to the center of town and some other reviews said it was a decent place to stay, so I went for it. Having been to the Villa myself, I'm tempted to think they were bogus reviews, or they must have stayed at a completely different place!
My boyfriend and I had been traveling around Northern California and this was the last stop before going home to L.A. It was the worst room we stayed in, by far. I want to point out that I did not have any problems with the staff. It seemed to be a family owned operation. I wouldn't say the service was 5 star, but what can you expect for the price? They seemed nice enough to me.
However, the room itself was very poorly maintained. The carpet was in serious need of replacement. It was flat and worn. I felt dirty even walking on it. The furniture looked just as worn out as the the carpet. There was a table and a wooden chair with padded seats and I wouldn't put my luggage on it, let alone my body. It was stained and threads were unraveling. The bed was rock hard and I was very glad we had brought our own pillows on the trip as theirs were old and also worn, like everything else in the place. Let's just say, I don't think anything has been replaced in that motel since it was originally built...
The worst part, however, was the fact that there was a rather long, rectangular window situated high up on one side of the room, next to the bathroom. It had NO covering, so we had to jimmy rig our top blanket over the window so the sun wouldn't come streaming in during the morning. However, there was really nothing to hold up the blanket, so we had to place our laptop bag in the windowsill. Of course, it would fall down every once in a while and we would have to put it back up again. It was terrible.
While the location with the price is excellent, you have to really decide if a clean room with a comfortable bed means more to you than a good location at a rock bottom price.
On my next trip to SLO, I will definitely be trying another spot. Hopefully the third time will be the charm!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Atascadero
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

Friends I had visiting me in Slo from out of town booked a room here for one night . I tagged along with them upon arriving to the motel and we encountered what had to have been THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER! Firstly, one of my friends went into the front office and no one was to be found. He rang the bell several times until this little liver-spotted man/troll hobbled over with a thick (what sounded like) polish accent, disgusting teeth and an even worse personality! My friend tried swiping his card, but the man's card machine didn't work, so he rudely insisted that we pay cash on the spot. After the transaction, the man gave him a key to the wrong room with only one bed, when they had booked a room with two beds. My friend went back and complained. The man actually told my friend that HE was wrong and that they only needed one bed when seeing that our other friend was a woman. My friend argued and finally the man gave him the right room. My friends put their luggage into what seemed a clean and large room. While I was sitting in the car, the old man comes close to the window, sees me, then confronts my friends, asking why there is a 3rd person. Apparently if you have two beds, you are only allowed two people!!! We were all extremely uncomfortable by his creepy accusatory manner. Finally, in the morning before check out, I visited my friends in their room, only to look out the window and see the man pacing back and forth outside their room, with his ear almost against the door. He was actually trying to spy on them to see if I had REALLY stayed there. We came out and the man ran up to my friend and told him that he had lied about just two people staying there! he kept repeating, "You lie." We were all very angry and I friend handed the key at him and thanked him for the "excellent" customer service. And to top it all off, as we were pulling away, the man threw open the door to our room and actually began searching it! Like he was going to find some kind of "evidence" that there were three people. That little motel troll was horribly rude and I would only stay there again to ruin his day. Maybe next time we will have 10 people come marching out of the room to see one of his sickly liver spots pop. That motel was SO BAD I signed up with TripAdvisor JUST to write this review. So unless you just love to be called a liar by a rude little motel troll, DO NOT STAY HERE. EVER.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

This was a VERY basic motel on the outskirts of downtown SLO. It was clean, and it was a place to stay. But if you're for any amenities, this is not it. It had a bed, which was fine. The pillow was flat. The room had a little fridge and microwave which was convenient for us to eat our leftovers.

There was a great gallery cafe just a block away and the monterey wine shop a few blocks away.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

A very friendly man at the reception who will take trouble to make your stay comfortable. A large room although not too clean. But it's a motel at a motel price. It's easy to find as you leave the highway. Cheap trolleys take you downtown in minutes : A charming small town with a beautiful Mission.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

The good: Spaceous, clean rooms. Good location: near Hwy101 and near downtown SLO.

The bad: Thin walls, internet didn't work.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Ventura, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

This is an older property. It's a plain vanilla motel. But they get the basics right. The property is kept up. The room was very clean and the bed (room 10) was comfortable. No complaints.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
san jose
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

What a lovely motel in SLO! You just don't find places like this anymore.

The room was good sized, clean, bright and inviting. Carpets were clean & unstained. It was fell furnished & had lovely decorations. Beds were really comfy. The staff here was really nice & friendly. We had absolutely amazing service at front desk who took our call and checked us into our rooms when we got there.

We used the pool once and I must say that it was very well maintained and clean unlike other motels which don't maintain their swimming pools. The parking lot was well lit. Ample space for parking, and well-maintained.

We'll definitely be back here if we're in this area again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Villa Motel? Share your experiences!