“Great Experience” 5 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1670 Monterey St, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401   |
Ranked #24 of 31 hotels in San Luis Obispo
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Really good place for stayovers! Nice experience. Would recommend to others. Rooms are clean and hygienic.
Service was good. The kid working on the desk showed me the way to downtown and recommended some good restaurants. Talked to him for a while and he was really friendly.

Nice experience! Will be back.

Room Tip: The room was good for the price paid. The teenager working at the front desk was helpful.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

They have a teenager kid as manager and this rude guy never know how to behave and talk with customers. I stayed there twice because everywhere else it was full. What they mentioned on website about their office hours is a lie. I checked in at 10.30 pm when office was closed and after a few minutes of bell hitting a kid opened door and he was so sad since i wake him up. He almost shut door on my face. Also I went to office at 8.30 am to get a towel and office was close. I tried ringing bell and they never opened it. It happened with me twice. I was so sad!
I went there again, at 10 am to drop the keys off and surprised to see a sign on the door 'manager will be back in 10 min'. I waited for 20 minutes and no one came. I was simply waiting to express my disappointment but I couldn't able to meet anyone. I never saw such signs any of other motels I have ever stayed.
Their prices are way higher than a their neighours and that's why they always have rooms available. Rooms are not bad but not worth money they charge. I just hate the service and I decided not to return again in this motel. I

• Stayed July 2012
Grass Valley
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

Small motel undergoing exterior renovation in December 2011. Rooms are large with open beam high ceilings. Our room had a new shower with lots of hot water. 19 inch basic TV. Wall heater worked well. Much better than one of the largest chain motels we stayed in the night before in Carpenteria. Room was clean. Manager friendly. Good location close to downtown. Paid $49 booking online.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

Nice room, clean and big. Very old Indian men at the front desk, I was surprised someone so old still works, he barely speaks any English..breakfast non existant, just a biscuit that was aleready rotten and you have to go to the reception and ask for it! Location not so great but OK.
Free parking on the site, that's good and useful.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Room 20 was filthy! The furniture had black fingerprints and goop all over it. Half the lights were broken or missing bulbs. It was awful!

However, the couple we were staying with stayed in room 12 and it was definitely more acceptable and cleaner.

I won't stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Very clean and consistent. Our room was very nice. The bathroom showerhead could be updated, but it worked just fine and was clean. The manager was very nice, very helpful. You will like him! We will be coming back to this hotel and/or it's related hotel The Los Padres Inn, for many years until our son graduates!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

The first time I had traveled to SLO, I had booked a motel room that was further away, closer to the Madonna Inn. This second trip, I wanted to book a stay that was closer to the town center, but wouldn't have to pay a small fortune. I found this place on TripAdvisor for $66 a night. It was so close to the center of town and some other reviews said it was a decent place to stay, so I went for it. Having been to the Villa myself, I'm tempted to think they were bogus reviews, or they must have stayed at a completely different place!
My boyfriend and I had been traveling around Northern California and this was the last stop before going home to L.A. It was the worst room we stayed in, by far. I want to point out that I did not have any problems with the staff. It seemed to be a family owned operation. I wouldn't say the service was 5 star, but what can you expect for the price? They seemed nice enough to me.
However, the room itself was very poorly maintained. The carpet was in serious need of replacement. It was flat and worn. I felt dirty even walking on it. The furniture looked just as worn out as the the carpet. There was a table and a wooden chair with padded seats and I wouldn't put my luggage on it, let alone my body. It was stained and threads were unraveling. The bed was rock hard and I was very glad we had brought our own pillows on the trip as theirs were old and also worn, like everything else in the place. Let's just say, I don't think anything has been replaced in that motel since it was originally built...
The worst part, however, was the fact that there was a rather long, rectangular window situated high up on one side of the room, next to the bathroom. It had NO covering, so we had to jimmy rig our top blanket over the window so the sun wouldn't come streaming in during the morning. However, there was really nothing to hold up the blanket, so we had to place our laptop bag in the windowsill. Of course, it would fall down every once in a while and we would have to put it back up again. It was terrible.
While the location with the price is excellent, you have to really decide if a clean room with a comfortable bed means more to you than a good location at a rock bottom price.
On my next trip to SLO, I will definitely be trying another spot. Hopefully the third time will be the charm!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa Motel? Share your experiences!