“House of the Rising Sun” 5 of 5 stars

You added HI San Luis Obispo to your Saves list
HI San Luis Obispo
1617 Santa Rosa St, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401 (Formerly Hostel Obispo)   |
Cambria, California
“House of the Rising Sun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

So I was on my way to Cambria eh? Unfortunately i arrived in SLO while the bus was no longer running for the night. So i wandered over to Hostel Obispo, or should i say Hostel of the Angels?! I have never met so many very loving, cultured, and free spirited individuals in one place! There were people there from all walks of life, and i was welcomed by all with open arms. They treated me not as a stranger, but as a brother; a long time friend. I got to eat delicious oranges off of the tree in the backyard, drink some absolutely delicious apple cider brewed by one of the fellows staying at the hostel, and eat some very filling sourdough pancakes when i awoke the next morning! I would highly recommend staying here for anyone looking for lodging, whether it be for the night, or for a longer stay, for you are bound to have a memorable experience you can carry with you for the rest of your days. I am lamenting having to leave such a lovely place. :/

Room Tip: Doesnt matter, I woulda been happy sleeping on the lawn! There are so many good and loving people to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I arrived at this hostel devastated: Amtrak had just lost my luggage, containing a year's worth of belongings! Fortunately the staff were absolutely beautiful and made me feel right at home. Even made some phone calls to Amtrak on my behalf. The room was clean and tidy. The pancakes delicious! I'd definitely return.

Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My family and I spent three nights at Hostel Obispo during Christmas. Unexpected life events brought us to California. Very good fortune brought us to Hostel Obispo. What could have been a sad and lonely Christmas turned into a warm and inviting Christmas away from home.

Hostel Obispo is situated in a charming neighborhood near downtown San Luis Obispo. It was easy to get around. The hostel was clean and charming. The kitchen and large dining table was a real gathering spot for travelers from all over the world. My family stayed in a family room called Morro Rock. The bedding was clean and the room was small but delightful.

It's been many years since I stayed in a hostel. Hostel Obispo surpassed my best memories from my younger days. Many thanks to owners Jared and Amy for creating such a wonderful home away from home!

Room Tip: Be sure that you understand that a hostel is not a hotel. The dorm accommodations are an exceptional...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Gothenburg, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We had a stop-over in San Luis Obispo and stayed at this hostel for one night. At the time it was very quite and it was pretty much just we, a couple of other guests and the staff. It's a small hostel with a home-away-from-home felling to it. Cozy, clean and very nice and helpful staff. I would definitely stay again!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Verona, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Friendly and generally clean. A little more upkeep would make it a 5-star choice. Pancakes were good, and the breakfast setting encourages talk. Bike rental was cheap, but bikes were not in great shape. We'd stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Burleigh Heads, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Quaint house in a suburban street, more like a b&b, just needs a female touch with cleanliness. Short walk to loads of bars and Cafes. Not much to do here but a good place to stop over and chill out. Pancakes for breakfast included.

• Stayed September 2012
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

First the pros: The price is pretty cheap ($66 for a private room), the facility is pretty clean in general, the staff were nice, the bed was fine.

The cons: One big one and one small one. The big one: NOISE! My room was right next to the office, and people stood right outside my door talking to each other and having loud phone conversations. Since this was before quiet hours, I didn't feel I had a right to complain. However, twice in the middle of the night that I stayed there, people came in very late (once around midnight and once around 3am) and they didn't seem to care that others might be sleeping. They talked loudly in the common area of the hostel. I don't know if I was the only one woken up, but it was very annoying.

The smaller con is that the shower I originally used (ground floor, to right of front door) was kind of grungy. The shower curtain was disgusting, and I really didn't want to step on the floor, either. Turns out the other bathroom on the main floor is much nicer, but I didn't discover that till later.

All in all I was happy to find such a convenient place at such a reasonable price, but I'd say they need to clean up parts of this place, and also do more about enforcing quiet at night.

Room Tip: The private room by the office turned out to be very loud. If you're on the main floor, choose t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to HI San Luis Obispo? Share your experiences!