“Adorable little refuge from the world!” 4 of 5 stars

You added Heritage Inn B&B to your Saves list
Heritage Inn B&B
978 Olive Street, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405   |
London, United Kingdom
“Adorable little refuge from the world!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed at the Heritage Inn B&B in October when we had to restructure our trip to California as a result of the Federal Shutdown. It was so stressful reorganising our trip that it was lovely to arrive at the Heritage Inn. We had a very friendly, kind welcome from all of the members of staff and it was great staying in such a cosy place. Our every need was met, including being fed pumpkin bread for breakfast when we mentioned how keen we were to try it!

It's a very special little place and I'd thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
georgia a, Owner at Heritage Inn B&B, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for your kind words ! We enjoyed your visit, too. Georgia & staff

84 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed at Heritage B&B for one night in June. It was comfortable for one night but we were glad that we weren't staying longer. The owner/host was very friendly, showed us around when we arrived, offered us brownies, and said that wine and snacks would be available in the living room shortly. We stayed in the "White Lace & Promises" room, which had an ensuite shower room. The hotel is located just off of the highway and it was very noisy. The room was dated, tatty and in need of updating (e.g. the hot and cold labels had fallen off of the taps, the paintwork was dirty), and there was a lot of clutter (random old wedding photos all over the room). I understand that this is a B&B and was not expecting 5 star and ultra modern but it is possible to create a charming and homely environment without all the tatty furnishings. Some of the rooms are not ensuite so make sure you check that before booking if you don't want to share a bathroom. We didn't stay for breakfast so can't comment on that. We've given Heritage Inn 2/5 because we think it was massively overpriced. This was definitely the worst place we stayed during our 17 night trip to the US and it was by no means the cheapest. If they expect people to keep paying $145 a night then they need to make some improvements. We would be willing to give Heritage Inn another chance if we saw some evidence of refurbishment and updating but in its current state we would not stay again or recommend to others.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlsbad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We have been coming here for years. We love this place, the breakfasts are first class. We love to sit by the creek and have a glass of wine. We always meet the nicest people here. The bandb is within walking distance to downtown San Luis Obispo.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Surrey, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

The room we had was $160.00 per night, quite small, there was only one chair and one bedside table with a light. The noise level from the Freeway was extreme, kept waking us up in the night. The neon lights from the motel next door did not help with the sleeping either. No hooks to hang anything in the ensuite. The breakfast was OK.

Room Tip: Stay away from the freeway side of the Inn, very noisy and a motel right next door, poor view.
Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

While this is a charming old Victorian, it is in bade need of an update! Fresh paint and less clutter would be good.
The breakfast was disappointing-could have done better at the local supermarket. Not going to be back.
Was overcharged and had to ask for a refund.
This is located on a VERY busy street.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Having found this B&B two years ago on Tripadvisor, I felt we should re-advise those we told to stay here back then. We have stayed here three times since our first review and each stay was great.
Boy, has it changed. We came for two nights and the experience was so different and much worse.
1)The Breakfast was horrible. When we first started coming the breakfast was amazing; homemade quiche, homemade breads and muffins, fruit salads. Not anymore. Now everything is store bought (I saw all the cartons in the kitchen) and you can taste the difference and quality. Not at all what you expect from a bed and breakfast, this is more like a continental breakfast at the Value Inn. Very disappointing. Poor quality cakes and muffins? That's not why I stay at a bed and breakfast. The first day, someone in the hotel was vegetarian, so they served some sort of flavorless spinach egg dish. I understand that some prefer not to eat meat, but we do, and there should have been a second option for those in the hotel that did. This alone was fine; we thought it was a fluke and we thought breakfast would be better the second day. Again, boy were we wrong.
The 2nd day, we went downstairs at 9:15 for breakfast (it starts at 9). And everything was GONE. What? The hostess was very sweet and explained that she had saved us some and had it warming. "Saved us some" amounted to three pieces of warm sausage, two pieces of cold breakfast casserole from that morning (this being just eggs and artichoke hearts) and a slice of the spinach casserole from yesterday! I was really shocked to see them trying to feed us food from the day before. Needless to say, we ate very little.
I am so sad to see a place we thought would be "our place" when we needed a break from the city change so much. Gone are the days with homemade breakfast's that fill you up and make you feel like you're in someone's home (like a b&b should). Instead, you feel like you're at any other hotel that lays out muffins from safeway, watermelon slices and yogurt and calls it breakfast. With sad hearts, we admitted to each other that neither of us wanted to be come back here. We wont be coming back.
Please know that this review is very hard for me to write. I loved this place. The specialness has gone and that is very sad. I would advise you: the rooms are still great but get ready to leave breakfast hungry and head to a restaurant that serves breakfast the way it used to be here. Don't expect anything special or homemade, because you wont find it here anymore.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I am going to need to travel to SLO three times a year for business and I would like to find a place that works for me, but I have mixed feelings about this B&B. I thought that the Heritage Inn was charming, but with a few glitches. These glitches could be easily eliminated, however.

The Positive…

1. The breakfasts are excellent! Rachel cooked marvelous and inventive quiche dishes as well as culinary marvels such as apricot scones and fluffy almond muffins. She was also very sweet and attentive.
2. The Heritage Inn is a charming, historic building that is decorated with love. I stayed in “Martha's Room” which had a homey touch – antiques, handmade quilts, a gas fireplace and fascinating vintage photographs. I felt at home.
3. The common areas are also well-appointed.
4. A beautiful creek meanders through the backyard of the B&B. Butterflies are attracted to the lovely flower garden and the owners have provided chairs so guests may enjoy the view.
5. When I arrived at 9 p.m. crackers, wine and cheese were set out for me. In fact, at all times, snacks, such as cake-like brownies, were available.
6. Free Wi-fi is provided.
7. Upon my arrival a key and note were left for me and I was able to find my way to "Martha's Room."

The Not-so-Positive…

1. The first night it took me two hours to get to sleep because it was so cold I was shivering. After I borrowed a blanket from one of the empty rooms I was able to warm up enough to sleep. In the morning I complained and was told that the maid had forgotten to turn on the upstairs heater. (Because I didn’t get to sleep until after 1 am I was a bit groggy for an important meeting that I had the next day.)
2. The maid turned on the heater the second night, but the vent in my bedroom was stuck shut. I called about 8 p.m., but had to leave a message because no one was around. I tried to open the vent with a hanger, but that didn’t work. It was still too cold in the room, but not as cold as the night before. I didn’t need any extra blankets because enough heat had seeped under the door.
3. Because the vent was stuck shut it would make an annoying whistling sound every time the heater went on, so it would wake me up.
4. The location is nice because it is within walking distance of downtown, but be advised that it is in an area near other hotels/motels and is also located near a freeway on-ramp and off-ramp. I could hear occasional traffic sounds from my room (which faced the street), but it did not keep me awake at night.
5. I was not given a map of the city or any information about the city. I discovered a basket with maps in the dining room, but that was on my last day, so it didn’t do me any good. I had to ask directions at a nearby restaurant in order to orient myself.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Heritage Inn B&B? Share your experiences!