“Our favorite place to stay in San Luis Obispo” 5 of 5 stars

You added Heritage Inn B&B to your Saves list
Heritage Inn B&B
978 Olive Street, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405   |
Carlsbad
“Our favorite place to stay in San Luis Obispo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We have been coming here for years. We love this place, the breakfasts are first class. We love to sit by the creek and have a glass of wine. We always meet the nicest people here. The bandb is within walking distance to downtown San Luis Obispo.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Surrey, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

The room we had was $160.00 per night, quite small, there was only one chair and one bedside table with a light. The noise level from the Freeway was extreme, kept waking us up in the night. The neon lights from the motel next door did not help with the sleeping either. No hooks to hang anything in the ensuite. The breakfast was OK.

Room Tip: Stay away from the freeway side of the Inn, very noisy and a motel right next door, poor view.
Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

While this is a charming old Victorian, it is in bade need of an update! Fresh paint and less clutter would be good.
The breakfast was disappointing-could have done better at the local supermarket. Not going to be back.
Was overcharged and had to ask for a refund.
This is located on a VERY busy street.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Having found this B&B two years ago on Tripadvisor, I felt we should re-advise those we told to stay here back then. We have stayed here three times since our first review and each stay was great.
Boy, has it changed. We came for two nights and the experience was so different and much worse.
1)The Breakfast was horrible. When we first started coming the breakfast was amazing; homemade quiche, homemade breads and muffins, fruit salads. Not anymore. Now everything is store bought (I saw all the cartons in the kitchen) and you can taste the difference and quality. Not at all what you expect from a bed and breakfast, this is more like a continental breakfast at the Value Inn. Very disappointing. Poor quality cakes and muffins? That's not why I stay at a bed and breakfast. The first day, someone in the hotel was vegetarian, so they served some sort of flavorless spinach egg dish. I understand that some prefer not to eat meat, but we do, and there should have been a second option for those in the hotel that did. This alone was fine; we thought it was a fluke and we thought breakfast would be better the second day. Again, boy were we wrong.
The 2nd day, we went downstairs at 9:15 for breakfast (it starts at 9). And everything was GONE. What? The hostess was very sweet and explained that she had saved us some and had it warming. "Saved us some" amounted to three pieces of warm sausage, two pieces of cold breakfast casserole from that morning (this being just eggs and artichoke hearts) and a slice of the spinach casserole from yesterday! I was really shocked to see them trying to feed us food from the day before. Needless to say, we ate very little.
I am so sad to see a place we thought would be "our place" when we needed a break from the city change so much. Gone are the days with homemade breakfast's that fill you up and make you feel like you're in someone's home (like a b&b should). Instead, you feel like you're at any other hotel that lays out muffins from safeway, watermelon slices and yogurt and calls it breakfast. With sad hearts, we admitted to each other that neither of us wanted to be come back here. We wont be coming back.
Please know that this review is very hard for me to write. I loved this place. The specialness has gone and that is very sad. I would advise you: the rooms are still great but get ready to leave breakfast hungry and head to a restaurant that serves breakfast the way it used to be here. Don't expect anything special or homemade, because you wont find it here anymore.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I am going to need to travel to SLO three times a year for business and I would like to find a place that works for me, but I have mixed feelings about this B&B. I thought that the Heritage Inn was charming, but with a few glitches. These glitches could be easily eliminated, however.

The Positive…

1. The breakfasts are excellent! Rachel cooked marvelous and inventive quiche dishes as well as culinary marvels such as apricot scones and fluffy almond muffins. She was also very sweet and attentive.
2. The Heritage Inn is a charming, historic building that is decorated with love. I stayed in “Martha's Room” which had a homey touch – antiques, handmade quilts, a gas fireplace and fascinating vintage photographs. I felt at home.
3. The common areas are also well-appointed.
4. A beautiful creek meanders through the backyard of the B&B. Butterflies are attracted to the lovely flower garden and the owners have provided chairs so guests may enjoy the view.
5. When I arrived at 9 p.m. crackers, wine and cheese were set out for me. In fact, at all times, snacks, such as cake-like brownies, were available.
6. Free Wi-fi is provided.
7. Upon my arrival a key and note were left for me and I was able to find my way to "Martha's Room."

The Not-so-Positive…

1. The first night it took me two hours to get to sleep because it was so cold I was shivering. After I borrowed a blanket from one of the empty rooms I was able to warm up enough to sleep. In the morning I complained and was told that the maid had forgotten to turn on the upstairs heater. (Because I didn’t get to sleep until after 1 am I was a bit groggy for an important meeting that I had the next day.)
2. The maid turned on the heater the second night, but the vent in my bedroom was stuck shut. I called about 8 p.m., but had to leave a message because no one was around. I tried to open the vent with a hanger, but that didn’t work. It was still too cold in the room, but not as cold as the night before. I didn’t need any extra blankets because enough heat had seeped under the door.
3. Because the vent was stuck shut it would make an annoying whistling sound every time the heater went on, so it would wake me up.
4. The location is nice because it is within walking distance of downtown, but be advised that it is in an area near other hotels/motels and is also located near a freeway on-ramp and off-ramp. I could hear occasional traffic sounds from my room (which faced the street), but it did not keep me awake at night.
5. I was not given a map of the city or any information about the city. I discovered a basket with maps in the dining room, but that was on my last day, so it didn’t do me any good. I had to ask directions at a nearby restaurant in order to orient myself.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Heritage Inn for two nights. The innkeeper and staff were wonderful - helpful and friendly so it pains me to write that the room and inn were really not wonderful. There was noise from the motel next door almost all night (they assured us they were working on correcting this), the room was run down. I appreciate antiques but when you stay in a room, the dresser should work (this one did not - the drawers fell to the floor and we had to keep our clothes in the suitcase); the mirror was spotted with age marks (which would be all right if it were decoration but it was the mirror that we were expected to use with the built in hair dryer). They did not provide shampoo and when I asked for some - was told I was the first person to ask for this! Perhaps some of the other rooms are nicer. As much as we liked the staff and the very good breakfast, I think that there are some improvements that are needed. The location of this bed and breakfast was really good and very convenient.

Room Tip: Pick a room that doesn't face the next door motel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Orange, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I was very pleased with my stay at the Heritage Inn. The innkeeper: Linda - was great and I was very happy they accommodated my best friend: a 11-year old pug.

LOCATION

The location is great - right off Santa Rosa by the entrance to the 101 freeway. Though the B&B is right by the on-ramp, I heard little freeway noise in the Jasmine room. It was very convenient to stay near the freeway and Santa Rosa is a main artery in SLO. Though the neighborhood is commercial (restaurants and other hotels) and there is a great deal of traffic during the day - I found the location to be fine. Downtown SLO is just up the street and for someone who enjoys walking (uphill) it is well within reach.

SERVICE

I was very happy with my B&B experience. I came in late so the innkeeper left a key for me. When I arrived, there was a note with directions including an invitation to nibble on brownies or sip a glass of sherry. It was VERY quiet. The next morning, homemade breakfast was served. I was in and out a lot - the innkeeper was present but not invasive so I felt very welcome with adequate privacy. Overall - the staff balanced unobtrusiveness and service perfectly.

ROOM - Jasmine Room

I was on the first floor with my own bathroom. The room was adequate with a few fixed extras including a hairdryer, alarm clock and vanity - I LOVE having a vanity! One could also use the vanity as a desk. The window seat was a great place for my suitcase and the closet was spacious. The bed was a bit squishy but I slept soundly and so did my pug! Linens were fine. The room wasn't ornately decorated and I prefer that. The other rooms in the Inn were themed with many decorative extras. The Jasmine Room was very practical - and I preferred it so. No view from my room. Windows slide open for ventilation. Shower was tiny - and I'm a tiny person so if you are taller than 5'2 or wider than the average bear - beware that the shower is petite. I wish the room had a nightstand - there was no place for your phone next to the bed. Plenty of outlets though. I did not hear a soul in the Jasmine room.

WIFI

The property provides free WiFi. I had intentions of using it but never ended up firing up my computer.

AMENITIES

There were two bathrobes in the closet. I did not use them but they looked comfy. Basic paper-wrapped bar soaps and liquid hand soap. No shampoo, no conditioner, no lotion - no typical hotel sized sundries. Be warned - there is no TV in the rooms. Outside the room, the innkeeper provides sherry in the living room, sweets on a table in the hallway, and refrigerator for use that contains cheese and wine for the afternoons. The breakfast was great! Hot dish accompanied by cold cereals, tea, coffee, fruit, pasties, toast in a cute little dining room with a view of Madonna Mountain. The fireplaces in the breakfast room and the living room were fantastic. There are many books, magazines and brochures for guests' perusal pleasures.

PARKING

On site parking right next to the Inn. It could not be more convenient. No extra parking fee.

PRICE

Great room price considering the area. ($130 p/night for Jasmine room.)

Caveat: I am not a B&B aficionado - in fact - I prefer hotels for their anonymity. Obviously, the B&B experience is much more intimate than a hotel as the Innkeeper typically lives in the property and serves as a host(ess). I enjoyed chatting about the Inn's history and I felt the staff was there when you needed them - and out of sight when you didn't. Overall, it felt like I was staying at a friend's lovely home with no expectations. I will stay there again and highly recommend this property.

Cheers!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Heritage Inn B&B? Share your experiences!