“Charming B&B with a few glitches…” 3 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Heritage Inn B&B
978 Olive Street, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405   |
San Diego, California
“Charming B&B with a few glitches…”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I am going to need to travel to SLO three times a year for business and I would like to find a place that works for me, but I have mixed feelings about this B&B. I thought that the Heritage Inn was charming, but with a few glitches. These glitches could be easily eliminated, however.

The Positive…

1. The breakfasts are excellent! Rachel cooked marvelous and inventive quiche dishes as well as culinary marvels such as apricot scones and fluffy almond muffins. She was also very sweet and attentive.
2. The Heritage Inn is a charming, historic building that is decorated with love. I stayed in “Martha's Room” which had a homey touch – antiques, handmade quilts, a gas fireplace and fascinating vintage photographs. I felt at home.
3. The common areas are also well-appointed.
4. A beautiful creek meanders through the backyard of the B&B. Butterflies are attracted to the lovely flower garden and the owners have provided chairs so guests may enjoy the view.
5. When I arrived at 9 p.m. crackers, wine and cheese were set out for me. In fact, at all times, snacks, such as cake-like brownies, were available.
6. Free Wi-fi is provided.
7. Upon my arrival a key and note were left for me and I was able to find my way to "Martha's Room."

The Not-so-Positive…

1. The first night it took me two hours to get to sleep because it was so cold I was shivering. After I borrowed a blanket from one of the empty rooms I was able to warm up enough to sleep. In the morning I complained and was told that the maid had forgotten to turn on the upstairs heater. (Because I didn’t get to sleep until after 1 am I was a bit groggy for an important meeting that I had the next day.)
2. The maid turned on the heater the second night, but the vent in my bedroom was stuck shut. I called about 8 p.m., but had to leave a message because no one was around. I tried to open the vent with a hanger, but that didn’t work. It was still too cold in the room, but not as cold as the night before. I didn’t need any extra blankets because enough heat had seeped under the door.
3. Because the vent was stuck shut it would make an annoying whistling sound every time the heater went on, so it would wake me up.
4. The location is nice because it is within walking distance of downtown, but be advised that it is in an area near other hotels/motels and is also located near a freeway on-ramp and off-ramp. I could hear occasional traffic sounds from my room (which faced the street), but it did not keep me awake at night.
5. I was not given a map of the city or any information about the city. I discovered a basket with maps in the dining room, but that was on my last day, so it didn’t do me any good. I had to ask directions at a nearby restaurant in order to orient myself.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Heritage Inn for two nights. The innkeeper and staff were wonderful - helpful and friendly so it pains me to write that the room and inn were really not wonderful. There was noise from the motel next door almost all night (they assured us they were working on correcting this), the room was run down. I appreciate antiques but when you stay in a room, the dresser should work (this one did not - the drawers fell to the floor and we had to keep our clothes in the suitcase); the mirror was spotted with age marks (which would be all right if it were decoration but it was the mirror that we were expected to use with the built in hair dryer). They did not provide shampoo and when I asked for some - was told I was the first person to ask for this! Perhaps some of the other rooms are nicer. As much as we liked the staff and the very good breakfast, I think that there are some improvements that are needed. The location of this bed and breakfast was really good and very convenient.

Room Tip: Pick a room that doesn't face the next door motel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Orange, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I was very pleased with my stay at the Heritage Inn. The innkeeper: Linda - was great and I was very happy they accommodated my best friend: a 11-year old pug.

LOCATION

The location is great - right off Santa Rosa by the entrance to the 101 freeway. Though the B&B is right by the on-ramp, I heard little freeway noise in the Jasmine room. It was very convenient to stay near the freeway and Santa Rosa is a main artery in SLO. Though the neighborhood is commercial (restaurants and other hotels) and there is a great deal of traffic during the day - I found the location to be fine. Downtown SLO is just up the street and for someone who enjoys walking (uphill) it is well within reach.

SERVICE

I was very happy with my B&B experience. I came in late so the innkeeper left a key for me. When I arrived, there was a note with directions including an invitation to nibble on brownies or sip a glass of sherry. It was VERY quiet. The next morning, homemade breakfast was served. I was in and out a lot - the innkeeper was present but not invasive so I felt very welcome with adequate privacy. Overall - the staff balanced unobtrusiveness and service perfectly.

ROOM - Jasmine Room

I was on the first floor with my own bathroom. The room was adequate with a few fixed extras including a hairdryer, alarm clock and vanity - I LOVE having a vanity! One could also use the vanity as a desk. The window seat was a great place for my suitcase and the closet was spacious. The bed was a bit squishy but I slept soundly and so did my pug! Linens were fine. The room wasn't ornately decorated and I prefer that. The other rooms in the Inn were themed with many decorative extras. The Jasmine Room was very practical - and I preferred it so. No view from my room. Windows slide open for ventilation. Shower was tiny - and I'm a tiny person so if you are taller than 5'2 or wider than the average bear - beware that the shower is petite. I wish the room had a nightstand - there was no place for your phone next to the bed. Plenty of outlets though. I did not hear a soul in the Jasmine room.

WIFI

The property provides free WiFi. I had intentions of using it but never ended up firing up my computer.

AMENITIES

There were two bathrobes in the closet. I did not use them but they looked comfy. Basic paper-wrapped bar soaps and liquid hand soap. No shampoo, no conditioner, no lotion - no typical hotel sized sundries. Be warned - there is no TV in the rooms. Outside the room, the innkeeper provides sherry in the living room, sweets on a table in the hallway, and refrigerator for use that contains cheese and wine for the afternoons. The breakfast was great! Hot dish accompanied by cold cereals, tea, coffee, fruit, pasties, toast in a cute little dining room with a view of Madonna Mountain. The fireplaces in the breakfast room and the living room were fantastic. There are many books, magazines and brochures for guests' perusal pleasures.

PARKING

On site parking right next to the Inn. It could not be more convenient. No extra parking fee.

PRICE

Great room price considering the area. ($130 p/night for Jasmine room.)

Caveat: I am not a B&B aficionado - in fact - I prefer hotels for their anonymity. Obviously, the B&B experience is much more intimate than a hotel as the Innkeeper typically lives in the property and serves as a host(ess). I enjoyed chatting about the Inn's history and I felt the staff was there when you needed them - and out of sight when you didn't. Overall, it felt like I was staying at a friend's lovely home with no expectations. I will stay there again and highly recommend this property.

Cheers!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

The Inn is near the freeway, so I was very pleasantly surprised to find how quiet our room was. The bed was very comfortable and we slept soundly.

The breakfast and snacks were top notch.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

My husband and I so enjoyed our 3 nights at the Heritage Inn recently, and Linda was the PERFECT hostess! She was so sweet about accommodating our vegan diet, and made us a couple of amazing dairy and meat free breakfasts! And there were always fresh home-baked vegan chocolate chip cookies waiting for us when we came in - seriously, the best I've ever had! Linda is really knowledgeable about the area and gave us all kinds of tips and info about the area. She is such a pleasure and really goes out of her way to make you feel at home and comfortable. Great smile, too! :) We stayed in Aunties room the first night, but the noise from the freeway entrance proved to be too much for us (light sleepers) and we didn't sleep well at all, so Linda graciously allowed us to move to a room on the other side of the Inn and we slept like babies the next two nights. I highly recommend this darling, historic place! Just a few blocks walk (good exercise!) to get to the heart of it all.

Room Tip: if you are a light sleeper, Auntie's Room may not be the one for you.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stayed in the white lace and promises room. We had a nice private bathroom with a small balcony. There really wasn't much of a view, but this was a beautiful old house with an interesting history. The hostess was friendly and helpful with suggestions. The parlor has loads of information about SLO. It is also equipped with fresh baked brownies and cookies waiting for you. Wine and cheese in the late afternoon. Wonderful breakfast, self serve. It's nice to be able to choose your portions. There is everything you could want and more for breakfast. Convenient location in the city. Stay here if you want to be spoiled and be comfortable. This is a pet friendly place, although we didn't bring a pet. But, we enjoyed seeing other people's dogs. No dogs were allowed in the breakfast area. The house was very clean and I would go back again to stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a private bathroom.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

My father and I overnighted here in August 2010 while on a drive down the California coast, and Lisa and her perfect little inn made our journey. From the refreshments available on arrival and anytime (including lovely local wines), to the clean, beautifully-presented rooms, to the delicious, abundant, lovingly-prepared breakfast, we enjoyed every moment and every experience Lisa offered us.

A side note: Lisa has a great deal of experience in the hotel industry, and takes serious pride in the cleanliness and upkeep of her establishment. (This is probably the cleanest guest house I've ever stayed in, counting journeys on five continents.) She is also a delightful conversationalist, and kept us well entertained throughout our stay.

Thanks so much, Lisa! Keep up the outstanding work.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Heritage Inn B&B? Share your experiences!