“Loved it - great B&B experience - definitely will stay with them again.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Heritage Inn B&B

Save Saved
You added Heritage Inn B&B to your Saves list
Heritage Inn B&B
978 Olive Street, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405   |
Orange, California
“Loved it - great B&B experience - definitely will stay with them again.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I was very pleased with my stay at the Heritage Inn. The innkeeper: Linda - was great and I was very happy they accommodated my best friend: a 11-year old pug.

LOCATION

The location is great - right off Santa Rosa by the entrance to the 101 freeway. Though the B&B is right by the on-ramp, I heard little freeway noise in the Jasmine room. It was very convenient to stay near the freeway and Santa Rosa is a main artery in SLO. Though the neighborhood is commercial (restaurants and other hotels) and there is a great deal of traffic during the day - I found the location to be fine. Downtown SLO is just up the street and for someone who enjoys walking (uphill) it is well within reach.

SERVICE

I was very happy with my B&B experience. I came in late so the innkeeper left a key for me. When I arrived, there was a note with directions including an invitation to nibble on brownies or sip a glass of sherry. It was VERY quiet. The next morning, homemade breakfast was served. I was in and out a lot - the innkeeper was present but not invasive so I felt very welcome with adequate privacy. Overall - the staff balanced unobtrusiveness and service perfectly.

ROOM - Jasmine Room

I was on the first floor with my own bathroom. The room was adequate with a few fixed extras including a hairdryer, alarm clock and vanity - I LOVE having a vanity! One could also use the vanity as a desk. The window seat was a great place for my suitcase and the closet was spacious. The bed was a bit squishy but I slept soundly and so did my pug! Linens were fine. The room wasn't ornately decorated and I prefer that. The other rooms in the Inn were themed with many decorative extras. The Jasmine Room was very practical - and I preferred it so. No view from my room. Windows slide open for ventilation. Shower was tiny - and I'm a tiny person so if you are taller than 5'2 or wider than the average bear - beware that the shower is petite. I wish the room had a nightstand - there was no place for your phone next to the bed. Plenty of outlets though. I did not hear a soul in the Jasmine room.

WIFI

The property provides free WiFi. I had intentions of using it but never ended up firing up my computer.

AMENITIES

There were two bathrobes in the closet. I did not use them but they looked comfy. Basic paper-wrapped bar soaps and liquid hand soap. No shampoo, no conditioner, no lotion - no typical hotel sized sundries. Be warned - there is no TV in the rooms. Outside the room, the innkeeper provides sherry in the living room, sweets on a table in the hallway, and refrigerator for use that contains cheese and wine for the afternoons. The breakfast was great! Hot dish accompanied by cold cereals, tea, coffee, fruit, pasties, toast in a cute little dining room with a view of Madonna Mountain. The fireplaces in the breakfast room and the living room were fantastic. There are many books, magazines and brochures for guests' perusal pleasures.

PARKING

On site parking right next to the Inn. It could not be more convenient. No extra parking fee.

PRICE

Great room price considering the area. ($130 p/night for Jasmine room.)

Caveat: I am not a B&B aficionado - in fact - I prefer hotels for their anonymity. Obviously, the B&B experience is much more intimate than a hotel as the Innkeeper typically lives in the property and serves as a host(ess). I enjoyed chatting about the Inn's history and I felt the staff was there when you needed them - and out of sight when you didn't. Overall, it felt like I was staying at a friend's lovely home with no expectations. I will stay there again and highly recommend this property.

Cheers!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

The Inn is near the freeway, so I was very pleasantly surprised to find how quiet our room was. The bed was very comfortable and we slept soundly.

The breakfast and snacks were top notch.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

My husband and I so enjoyed our 3 nights at the Heritage Inn recently, and Linda was the PERFECT hostess! She was so sweet about accommodating our vegan diet, and made us a couple of amazing dairy and meat free breakfasts! And there were always fresh home-baked vegan chocolate chip cookies waiting for us when we came in - seriously, the best I've ever had! Linda is really knowledgeable about the area and gave us all kinds of tips and info about the area. She is such a pleasure and really goes out of her way to make you feel at home and comfortable. Great smile, too! :) We stayed in Aunties room the first night, but the noise from the freeway entrance proved to be too much for us (light sleepers) and we didn't sleep well at all, so Linda graciously allowed us to move to a room on the other side of the Inn and we slept like babies the next two nights. I highly recommend this darling, historic place! Just a few blocks walk (good exercise!) to get to the heart of it all.

Room Tip: if you are a light sleeper, Auntie's Room may not be the one for you.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stayed in the white lace and promises room. We had a nice private bathroom with a small balcony. There really wasn't much of a view, but this was a beautiful old house with an interesting history. The hostess was friendly and helpful with suggestions. The parlor has loads of information about SLO. It is also equipped with fresh baked brownies and cookies waiting for you. Wine and cheese in the late afternoon. Wonderful breakfast, self serve. It's nice to be able to choose your portions. There is everything you could want and more for breakfast. Convenient location in the city. Stay here if you want to be spoiled and be comfortable. This is a pet friendly place, although we didn't bring a pet. But, we enjoyed seeing other people's dogs. No dogs were allowed in the breakfast area. The house was very clean and I would go back again to stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a private bathroom.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

My father and I overnighted here in August 2010 while on a drive down the California coast, and Lisa and her perfect little inn made our journey. From the refreshments available on arrival and anytime (including lovely local wines), to the clean, beautifully-presented rooms, to the delicious, abundant, lovingly-prepared breakfast, we enjoyed every moment and every experience Lisa offered us.

A side note: Lisa has a great deal of experience in the hotel industry, and takes serious pride in the cleanliness and upkeep of her establishment. (This is probably the cleanest guest house I've ever stayed in, counting journeys on five continents.) She is also a delightful conversationalist, and kept us well entertained throughout our stay.

Thanks so much, Lisa! Keep up the outstanding work.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Cortland, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I needed a place to unwind after a long road trip and this was the place to do it. No tv, just a beautiful and comfortable room. I did not stay long, I got in late and left early. I was greeted by Lisa at 10pm and she had brownies, tea and wine available. This was such a relief after driving all day everyday for over a week and staying in motels. I had such a restful sleep because there were tons of blankets and pillows on the already comfy bed. The breakfast the next morning was just amazing. Everything we ate was better than the last bite. I have no dietary restrictions, but Lisa was so willing to accommodate us if we did. It was definitely the right place to say in SLO!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Oakland, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011 via mobile

This is our second time staying at Heritage Inn, which is conveniently located right off 101, halfway between the Bay Area and LA. Lisa, the Innkeeper, provides wonderful hospitality and a very warm welcome. She had fresh-baked cookies ready for us upon arrival, wine for those who drink, a cozy fireplace going, and offered a room upgrade at no additional charge.

She made an amazing breakfast of tomato, cheese and zucchini frittata, blueberry coffee cake, spice muffins, whole wheat cranberry banana bread, yogurt and fruit platter (see photo).

The house itself is very quiet. Its proximity to the highway and main roads means that it can get a bit noisy outside. The rooms are old and old-school but very clean and with a firm-enough mattress for our purpose of getting a good night's sleep. We like Grandpa's room (good value and fireplace) and stayed in Mountainview room on this trip (great view of the hills during the day and with small private bathroom).

Pet and kid-friendly.

• Stayed December 2011

Been to Heritage Inn B&B? Share your experiences!