“Go there for the baking alone” 4 of 5 stars

You added Heritage Inn B&B to your Saves list
Heritage Inn B&B
978 Olive Street, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405   |
San Francisco
“Go there for the baking alone”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

We are not really B and B people, but this might have changed that. We were so welcomed by the woman who works at the inn, Lisa, we felt completely taken care of. The cookies were lovely, the rooms very sweet, and breakfast was delicious. All and all a great visit. Our kids loved it too.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Bakersfield, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

My husband and I (and our dog) chose the Heritage Inn for another weekend away and all of our expectations were met and exceeded for the 2nd time. The gracious innkeeper and hostess gave us a warm welcome. Yes, the rooms are small but they are comfortable and clean. We stayed in the Jasmine room and preferred it to the Mountain View room from our last stay. Outside, stairs lead to a lovely and fairly large creek perfect for the dog or sitting on the chairs to relax. Eve reception with wine, cheese/crackers, freshly-made brownies etc. and great conversation with other out-of-town guests.
Dog-friendly and no extra fee, but not allowed in dining or common area as to be expected. Breakfast the following morning was nice; great selection of hot/cold cereals, toast, yogurt, juices, an egg dish, coffee, tea, etc.

Encinitas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

My husband and I stayed one night at Heritage Inn, SLO while visiting our son who studies there. We were welcomed so graciously and warmly by Lisa and her awesome brownies! Next morning, when I asked her if a friend of our son could also join us for breakfast, she welcomed the idea with a big smile. The brunch was awesome, the wonderful hash brown crusted quiche, fresh fruit (i.e. heart shaped water melon pieces!!!!) and variety of coffee cakes, etc. SCRUMPTIOUS especially when combined with her good sense, comments and recommendations... From now on, this is the only place in SLO where we will stay... ABSOLUTELY AWESOME.... ;-)))

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

This is one of those reviews that create ambivalence in the writer - Heritage Inn is so great that I fear it will become very popular and I won't be able to get a reservation next time I want to stay there!! From making the reservation (Lisa, the innkeeper is the most gracious person I have ever encountered at a B&B), to arrival, to helping with dinner (Lisa went and got take-out for me), to an absolutely gourmet breakfast (blueberry stuffed cream cheese french toast), all were wonderful, friendly experiences. I can't stop giving praise and neither can Diva, my dog who enjoyed it as much as I did. This is the place to stay, especially if you are traveling with a dog-companion. Gorgeous yard with creek running through it compensates for being situated next to motels on either side - don't let that bother you because Heritage Inn is quiet and so very comfortable.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Lakewood, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

This B & B is reasonably priced for the area. It has not been renovated for awhile, but the rooms are clean and charming. While the location might not seem ideal, it is located at the 101/1 freeways, it is still quiet and easy to find. Our room had a shared bath, but we were there on a weeknight and were the only guests. It did have a fireplace and very comfortable bed. The breakfast was generous and well prepared. Wine was served in the sitting room in the afternoon. It would have been nice to have some cheese and crackers to go with it. The innkeeper was friendly and engaging, but gave us space. We would stay here again.

Morgan Hill, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

This is the most relaxing place I've ever stayed (I travel domestically and internationally 1/3 of my time for work). It's a wonderful old manor house within easy walking distance of both downtown and Cal Poly. The fireplace in the bedroom, a cozy living room with the paper in the morning and wine in the evening, a great home cooked breakfast by Georgia herself... I felt a welcomed guest. The place is clean and neat without feeling institutionally sterile, safe and secure instead of deadbolted and chained like a standard hotel. I'll be back.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
san jose, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

Heritage Inn B&B is fine. It is clean. The host is friendly. Breakfast is good, though not fancy. But I would not suggest it for a romantic getaway.

First, the rooms tend to be on the small side. We opted for a room with a bathroom, and the shower is very small (my husband had to duck to avoid hitting his head). Second, while it is a nice place, it is not luxurious. For the rate of the room, I expected a down comforter and a few more amenities, but this really is a straightforward B&B with no frills. Third, it is basically located on an on/off ramp for 101, surrounded by cheap motels--not exactly a charming location, although it is convenient to downtown or 101 (obviously), and we did not have an issue with freeway noise. Finally, our room shared a wall with the community bathroom/bath tub. Some other guests, at 1 a.m., decided that was the time for a "bath tub" party. Three or four of them were in there, laughing and making a lot of noise. It was awkward for us and just plain weird, but since the host does not live in the B&B and we didn't know how to contact her without walking outside to the host quarters we just dealt with it. Then the noisy guests went downstairs and played music. I have never stayed in a B&B with such thoughtless individuals before--usually I like the people we meet at B&Bs.

If you need a place to stay while visiting Cal Poly or in town for work, this functions quite well. If you're looking for a romantic escape with your significant other, keep looking--this is not the spot. I also think other guests, for whatever reason (timing?) chatted with the host more and got suggestions for restaurants and things to do. That was not my experience.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Heritage Inn B&B? Share your experiences!