“Best deal in an overpriced town” 4 of 5 stars

Sunbeam Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1656 Monterey Street, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401   |
Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Austin, Texas
“Best deal in an overpriced town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

There's coffee and packaged danishes but don't stay for the breakfast. Though the hotel is a bit dated, the rooms are nice and comfortable, the location is great for walking to the city and food, and the price hard to beat. The owners are friendly and accomodating. There is a bakery a block away and after 1900hrs muffins and other sweets are marked down to a dollar.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Wigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We paid a bargain price of $55 inc tax for this room for a 1 night stay. The motel is clean and has the amenities you require such as fridge, microwave, coffee maker, complimentary toiletries, wifi and TV. We had a great nights sleep. There are singularly packaged Danish pastries and fresh coffee available from reception in the morning which is a nice touch. Great cheap motel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

We were on a road trip and planned to stop in SLO to rest. After reading other reviews and locking in a great deal at $54/night tax included, we booked it. Nestled in a row of other hotels/motels on Monterey Street, the Sunbeam Motel was perfect in both price and functionality for an overnight stay.The older Asian man at check-in was very friendly and set us up with a room upstairs. Rather than a typical, plain motel layout, the room reminded me more of a guest room at an aunt's house. Maybe it was the wooden paneling on one of the walls or the decorative drawers or the stand-alone sink in the bathroom, but it felt cozy.

The small lot is well-lit, relatively quiet. Inside however, the walls were a little thin, as we could hear neighboring conversations at times. There's ample space for belongings in the drawers and closets, as well as a small flat-screen TV, mini fridge, microwave, and a coffeemaker, albeit outdated. The water pressure for the shower is great, but the toilet is a tad small. There's a little note about water conservation and a warning not to double-flush if it clogs. I'm sure they've had their fair share of incidences for them to post about it. The bathroom also had a window, which I liked.

There's no complimentary breakfast, but upon check-out, there is a basket of individually wrapped danishes available. It was a nice little touch. I asked if I could take a couple, and the older Asian man happily brought out even more of them. He was very nice. Overall, this place was an inexpensive, good stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

We enjoyed staying at this hotel. Besides the price, the location is good, and the staff was super nice and helpful as well. The room was clean and spacious, there was a fridge, microwave and coffee machine. A/C was working properly as well as wifi (which is not very common in motels...). They say they don't serve breakfast but every morning they had complimentary coffee and pastries at the front desk. I have nothing to complain about! I recommend it for those who are going to visit SLO. Try to go there on a Thursday to visit the farmers market (downtown), and make sure to be really hungry.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

I stayed at the Sunbeam April 6th overnight and found it to be a gem. I was greeted at check in by a very nice woman and her cute dog. She gave me a spacious and well appointed room on the second floor. Since it was an 80 degree day, the room was warm but cooled down quickly with the windows providing a nice cross ventilation. I appreciated having the fridge and microwave for my dinner leftovers, that became my breakfast the next morning.

The biggest surprise happened upon my departure. I was assisted by the owner with calling for a taxicab to take me to the train station. When I was stranded by the cab company with no pickup the owner related my situation to another visitor who drove me to my train and saved my trip. When I tried to pay my good Samaritan $20 he most generously refused and suggested that I pay it forward. I intend to take his advice and make it a practice each day. Great stay!

Room Tip: My corner room was sunny and very comfortable on the second floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
San Luis Obispo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

We moved from Maui to San Luis Obispo and needed a nice clean no frills place to stay while we searched for a long term place to live. The Sunbeam Motel had received above average reviews on Trip Advisor and looked appealing and quaint and was located in an excellent location.
We booked for 4 nights and ended up needing an additional 3. The friendly owners, Henry and Peggy gave us a nice quiet room on the second floor with lots of windows and it was perfect. The Wifi was fast, shower was plenty hot and we liked the selection of Danish at the quaint office. They were very accommodating and extremely nice. Henry even offered to help us move our stuff that we had in storage in his pick-up truck when we found an apartment. Talk about Aloha!
This isn't The Ritz folks but it is a safe, comfortable, inexpensive, quiet (It’s not a party pad) eclectic, friendly place to stay while you’re in SLO and walk able to everything downtown with excellent restaurants within a five minute walk.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Nice people and friendly reception. Walkable to many restaurants, a chocolate shop (yummy), grocery store and the historical old town. Room small (was it really a queen...seemed like a double bed) but fine for one. Clean except for carpet....needs a good vacuum and scrub. A thread that fell off my outfit was still there several days later. Had a table and chairs so I could work with my laptop. No closet (just a rod with hangers on the side of the bed) and almost no surfaces to set things. I am so glad the few surfaces were not choked with TV and brochures as most hotels tend to do. Wifi was very fast...no connection problems. Loved that I could open windows for fresh air. Did not use fridge so cannot comment on motor. Wall heater was quiet. However, the street noise was non-stop and my room overlooked the parking lot of the hotel next door. That was noisy with people talking and beep from cars locking. I could almost block it out as white noise. Could hear some neighbors in rooms on each side. Luckily there were not whining kids when I stayed. Even with the few issues, I would definitely stay here again. The price was great and I could park and walk safely everywhere.

Room Tip: No elevator so, if disabled, be sure to get a ground level room. Wood stairs to the top floor are ju...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business