“Unique experience with mineral tubs for each room” 4 of 5 stars

Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa
1215 Avila Beach Drive, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405   |
Ranked #11 of 31 hotels in San Luis Obispo
Los Angeles, California
“Unique experience with mineral tubs for each room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The main reason to stay here is here is the unique sulfur-fed hot spring tubs that they have for each room. They have several different room styles. We have stayed in one hill-side room and also stayed in the Meadow Suites three times. The cost is really based on having the hot tubs I think because the level of the rooms/service in that area doesn't justify the rates. That said, it is a great place to feel like you are getting away from it all and have the great relaxation of a private hot tub for your room. The sulfur-springs really are unbelievably relaxing. It is a quick drive down to the ocean area and there are lots of hiking trails nearby as well as San Luis Obispo. So its a great romatic/relaxing get-away just a little too pricey for the quality of the rooms and level of service.

Room Tip: If you want a suite type room and more privacy, pick the ones that are the Meadows suites. They are...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SycamoreGuestService, Guest Relations Manager at Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on your recent experience at Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort. We are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed the hot tub experience at the resort. We appreciate your loyalty and we hope to have the honor of serving you again in the future!

685 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We liked this hotel because it was in a beautiful part of California, the food was good and the rooms were comfortable detached huts in the middle of the forest, We even had deer one morning eating peacefully under our window.
The huts are very spacious, the decor a bit old for our taste but the jacuzzi on the terrace under the stars made up for it.
It is hiking distance from Avila beach but a bit too close to the highway

Room Tip: Chose the suits across the road
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your time while writing about your experience at our resort. We always enjoy hearing feedback from our guests. What a great story you shared about the deer out your window, the natural environment that we are located in is just amazing! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us. We look forward to having you stay with us again!
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I went on road trip with my parents. We arrived late and checked in the room, we like the suite when we walk into the room, big living room and soft beds. However, we were shocked when we walked into the bathroom. Guess what we found? Yes, cockroaches!! 5 or 6 were in the shower and another 2 were running on the floor!!! The front desk was friendly and we were really tired that time, so we just ask them to change the room for us, but we still feel uncomfortable as you can't expect roaches when you spend $200 per night! Very disappointment with the cleanliness!

• Stayed June 2013
SycamoreGuestService, Guest Relations Manager at Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
We are very pleased that the front desk was responsive to the situation. Of course we understand your concern. Our pest control team investigated and those in fact were not cockroaches but little “pill” bugs. As we are situated on 100 acres amongst the trees, on occasion an insect will be found in the room. We do have our pest control company do regular inspections and treatments.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Just returned home from a 2 night escape vacation at SMS. We were 2 couples at the King Suites (Compassion and Cozy). Spacious and clean, each with a 2 person spa on a private deck.
Bob Jones Trail to Avila Beach was just next to our suites. A pleasant 45 minutes easy stroll.
We have decided on The Garden of Avila for our first night dinner. We all selected the Chef's Choice which was superbly delicious, and the service was just wonderful (contrary to some complaints which I carefully read on this website).
I will definitely come back!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Sycamore springs was a beautiful and amazing place for a quick mid-week escape. We did the "Spring Spa Getaway" package for three nights - this came with two spa treatments. Food was high quality and about as expensive as you would expect for a spa resort. Our room was amazing! I highly recommend the suites across the road. Staff was friendly and helpful - room service is a huge plus. Private mineral hot tub in the room is totally worth the extra splurge

Room Tip: 1 bedroom suites with private mineral hot tubs are located across the road - but worth it!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Merrimack, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I found this site online, and thought that it would be a fun and romantic experience to rent one of the hot springs tubs one evening while we were in CA, far away from our New England home for our 30th anniversary. I am so glad that I did not book online sight unseen. We decided to go to the Spa to make the reservation, and fortunately, viewed the tubs before booking. While I expected the sulfur smell, I didn't expect what we found. The tubs we checked out were unsightly; looked unclean and neglected, with trapped bugs and tree droppings in spider webs all around inside the privacy enclosures. Just sweeping those out would go a long way to making a person feel better about putting their body into a public tub, which by itself also looks unappealing with dirty frothy topped water. We did not book or utilize the property in any way as a result of this.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
We are in the process of refurbishing all the hot tubs that need it. We have already updated many of them. As the tubs are located on a heavily treed hillside, leaves and debris do get blown into the tub on occasion, even though we thoroughly clean the tubs daily. The “frothy” water is because of the natural minerals that can leave colors of oxidation in our hot tubs.
Escondido, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I took advantage of a groupon and purchased 2 nights at sycamore springs mineral resort not a super discount off the normal pricing. I noticed that they had a special of an additional night for $99 if you booked 2 nights, it was my birthday weekend so I thought I would call and see if I could take advantage of this. Unfortunately since I booked through groupon this was not available to me, I did call a few times and spoke with the staff, they said they could extend the groupon price to me for my additional night, that I just need to check my email to see what pricing I paid for my groupon. My fiancé called back to book, and they said they would no longer offer this when she asked to speak to a supervisor, she was told that he was the supervisor. If a company is going to treat people like 3rd party citizens for using a service like groupon, why even offer this?

Anyhow, on to the resort itself. Our room itself was nice, had a nice living room area with a fireplace, the bathroom had a nice shower, the bed seemed small for a queen but was comfortable. The Main room itself however smelled of Feet, I'm guessing due to mostly carpeting and minimal tile and having wet people on the carpeting. This room had its own Jacuzzi tub outside, which you filled and drained when you wanted to go in, the tub itself was rather disgusting to look at, I understand that mineral water is rough on plumbing however a fiberglass tub with cracks and patches all over it leaves a lot to be desired. The "rules" were 11PM to 7AM you were not allowed to fill your tub, so we were told we should fill it prior to this if we planned on soaking later than 11PM.. This was disappointing as this was not made known to us until check in, one of the biggest reasons we wanted a room with our own tub was to soak anytime we wanted to. These rooms also have NO black out shades and it gets bright rather early!!!!
This room would benefit greatly from:
1) Have a Microwave in the room, there is a small fridge
2) Decent chairs or chaise lounges in the back area by the tub along with a table, it would have been nice to get out of the tub when it gets too h ot and relax for a bit, the chairs they had were crooked and grungy looking, not very inviting.
3) The Jacuzzi tub needs to have a screen or cover over it, we were constantly fishing out insects and plant parts.

The "resort" itself was decent, the public soak tubs which are available at an hourly rate, I think $17.50/hr on weekends $13.50/weekday, were set very well on the hillside, these were the ones that fed from the springs which had a sulfur smell, the in room tubs had no sulfur smell to them. I'm not sure how many they have but it was quite a few and they seemed decently booked. There was a heated pool, which after jumping in, was not heated at all. They offer a private area called The Oasis for $17.50/person after 7 you have to book it with a party of at least 6 and I believe it holds up to 25 people. This was pretty awesome, my favorite part of this resort we booked it for 1 hour, it had 2 mini waterfalls, nice relaxing private area. The tubs and the oasis are all private and clothing optional.

The restaurant was good, had a decent menu and the prices were a bit on the higher side however what you would expect at a hotel/resort. They have a shop on the grounds that offers snacks/drinks/other wares you would find at a spa. The private spa area seemed nice, and the employees were friendly, I did not book any treatments so I can't comment on these. They do offer a few trails, a 1.5m hike to the top of the hill and a 5m hike to the ocean, they offer yoga and other classes on their calendar . There were also bike rentals available, and a labyrinth(not to be confused with a maze!) I did check this out, along with their garden.

Overall I had a pleasant stay, I would have thought that they would have worked with me on the third night especially since it was a Monday night and not a weekend day, however I don't feel the rooms are worth the amount they charge for them even in this area, I *might* consider going back if I were to get another groupon, or discount on the rooms themselves, and preferably If they did some updating on the tubs themselves.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!