“A truly special experience” 5 of 5 stars

Sycamore Mineral Springs
1215 Avila Beach Drive, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405   |
Ranked #12 of 31 hotels in San Luis Obispo
Tampa Bay, Florida
“A truly special experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I am so surprised by the negative reviews. From the first moment I contacted the resort by telephone until we checked out of our suites, everything was magnificent. I suppose I was incredibly lucky to call when they were offering a special rate on queen spa suites. I booked two for our family of five siblings and 93-year old mother. They ensured that we were given a first-floor handicapped accessible suite. I hesitate to reveal the suite name because I want to be able to reserve it anytime I want! It was very large and also had a large dining table so the six of us could be together. The upstairs suite was lovely, too, but quite a bit smaller although I wouldn't have minded sleeping there. Furnishings were very nice, bathroom large and nicely appointed. We were provided extra towels and robes. We asked for and were granted late checkout. Yes, there were leaves in the hot tub but I'd rather clean a private hot tub on the patio of my suite than walk to use a hot tub that other people have used (even if they are cleaned after each use.) Yoga and Pilates classes were first rate. Gorgeous studio with all the equipment provided. We plan to make Sycamore Springs an annual trip. If you treat people graciously, they are more than willing to be hospitable and to make your stay as nice as possible.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

682 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Let me begin by saying every business should understand and value their customers. Myself and girlfriends checked into the Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa on Friday for what was to be a celebration of life. The room we stayed in (the Heavenly) was simple, with a hot tub (it was old and filthy, as was the peeled painted decking-I will try to upload photos). We booked a girlfriend's retreat with access to the Oasis spa. There were many issues with our room, however we were willing to overlook the stained tiles, filthy hot tub, bug ridden room because the outdoor areas are beautiful. We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant (which was good)-they earned multiple stars, but I can't reflect that here because the staff for the hotel, more specifically the general manager, Charles [--] was incompetent and does not understand that when a business makes a mistake they should rectify it to the customers satisfaction. After receiving a voicemail and email confirmation dated April 3rd and again on April 18 from the hotel marketing director, Marina [--] we planned our day and evening so we would experience the "Oasis" which was presented as a one of a kind experience. Long story short they gave our spa away and acted like oh well... The GM, [--] stated, "It's just a hot tub" which is NOT how it is marketed. Unfortunately, the old bait and switch happened. After being insulted, talked down to, and interrogated for complaining, we had sat in the lobby of the spa area nearly 60 minutes without a resolution... THERE IS NO ACCOUNTABILITY or immediate executive leadership/decision making. My advice is stay somewhere else. The property is owned by King Ventures out of San Luis Obispo who also owns several other resorts including The Cliffs Resort and has won awards for development , but obviously NONE for hospitality. #KingVenture #Sycamoremineralpingsandreort #thecliffsresort #Applefarm #seaventure #Boutiquehotel #filthytub #badcustomerservice #bugsinroom #badmanager #epicfail #poorcustomerservice

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
SycamoreGuestService, General Manager at Sycamore Mineral Springs, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review and the opportunity to publicly respond. Of course, our first objective is to ensure our guests have a wonderful experience. And we always appreciate constructive feedback. I'd simply like to address this response from guests that stayed with us last weekend to provide some perspective. Our hot tub are thoroughly cleaned everyday; however, with Sycamore being situated amongst the trees, leaves do blow into the tub and deck at times. We addressed this and had a staff person re-clean it immediately. Needless to say, Sycamore isn't, as they claimed, bug-ridden, and they never mentioned it in our conversations.

In regards to the hot tub these guests requested, in fact that particular tub was double-booked. Our mistake. I apologized and offered them another hillside six-person size hot tub at no cost, and to refund the price of the original hot tub. We also offered them the Oasis hot tub the next morning for no charge. However, the guests stated that they were entitled to a free night of the Girlfriend Getaway Package, approximately $600 for their party of five, for not receiving their promised hot tub. I personally spoke to these guests, at almost midnight on my day off to try to make things right. They insulted the staff and me and threatened a law suit because they didn't get the hot tub they requested. Additionally, I authorized $150 off their stay for the mistake about the hot tub, which they took.

Charles Crellin
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My friends and I reserved a 2 bedroom suite to celebrate my birthday. The total cost for one night was $498. The suite itself was clean and spacious but our fireplace did not work. You think if you pay that much, everything would work right? As for the rooms, they were clean and spacious but nothing extravagant. We had a bottom floor suite and you could hear all the footsteps from the floor above, not to mention the baby crying in the night. If you have a chance, book a top room floor.

The hot tub that is on the private balcony has no heater so you must use it immediately after filling otherwise you have to drain it and start all over. We filled it and went to dinner and came back to cold water not being aware that there was no heater. Needless to say, we just gave up on it and rented the private hot tub on the hill. I must warn you to reserve these as soon as you can or risk not getting a tub.

The tubs look worn and dated and they charge $17.50 a person an hour. It would be nice if they gave guests a one time complimentary hour, but nope. Add another $87 to our overpriced bill already. The water was yellow but i guess that's what it's supposed to look like? I've been to hot springs in Costa Rica and don't remember yellow water, but maybe it's different. I decided to pass on getting in since it's not clear how often they clean these.

The biggest drawback to this place are their check in/out hours. Check in is at 4pm! I've done a lot of traveling and have never had a 4pm check in. Most luxury hotels have a standard 3 pm check in and a 12 pm checkout. . Not this place! The checkout time is 11 am. So we basically lost two more hours of our stay. For the money you pay to stay here, you'd expect more. Next time we are staying elsewhere. After a little research, we could have stayed at the Pelican Bay 5 star resort for about the same price so that's where we'll be next time.

Room Tip: Book a top floor room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
SycamoreGuestService, Manager at Sycamore Mineral Springs, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
We appreciate your time to write about your experience at our resort. We sincerely regret that your stay with us did not meet your expectations regarding value. We are happy to hear that you appreciated the size and cleanliness of your room. We confirm prior to arrival that every room is in working order. I am sorry that your fireplace did not work properly but we did fix it during your stay as soon as you informed us, we apology for any inconvenience. Every hotel room has a balcony hot tub that offers the benefits of the therapeutic mineral water that naturally resides underground of the resort. The balcony hot tubs are customized to pump the mineral water straight to your personal hot tub directly from the ground and does not keep it heated, rather allows you to control the temperature by choosing how hot you want the naturally heated water in your own personal hot tub with out any chemicals. You can empty and fill your hot tub as often as you would like which keeps the water as fresh as possible. We rely on your feedback as it continually helps us to improve. Thank you and we hope to have the opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.
Bakersfield, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've been to this resort 3 times in the past 6 months - the first time on a romantic getaway, the second on a girlfriends weekend, and the last time as a business retreat and it was WONDERFUL and perfect each time! I loved the service, privacy, location, food, and ambiance. My husband and I enjoyed a beautiful room and secluded hot-tub for a very romantic getaway. My girlfriends and I used it as a destination resort for massage and facials, great beach time, and nearby outlet shopping! We did a business training there where the meeting rooms were well appointed, the service was great and we had the wine country and fine-dining options onsite and just minutes away...all three stays were wonderful! Trena their event coordinator was wonderful for our meetings, and Amy their front desk supervisor made sure my room for my weekend away with my husband was just perfect! The Chef at their restaurant was AWESOME - we enjoyed the food and wine pairing meal (a steal at $100 with tax and gratuity included) as one of the highlights of our trip. Everything I can say about the resort is positive - if you give it a try once, you'll be back again, and again! I know we're already looking forward to our next getaway there!

Room Tip: If you want a 'retreat' with a little more privacy - make sure you ask for one of the cottag...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Solvang, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

The hotel staff are always very friendly and helpful - everyone from the front desk to the wait staff to the groundskeepers.

We stayed in the newer West Meadows surrounded by a nature preserve.
A hike to the top of the hill worked up our appetites for dinner. A soak in the hot tub topped off the night. A morning walk in the nature preserve and through the labyrinth is a great way to start the day.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed my short stay very much. I stayed in the spa suite with a queen bed. The rooms were clean and spacious. The fan in the bathroom was really loud and sounded like a dying hippo but that didnt bother us too much. There were two tvs and a mini fridge. The bed was super comfy! Some hotel beds can be really uncomfortable but I didn't have an issue with mine.

The hot springs were nice since you get your own private hot tub. The only thing is that I reserved a night time slot in hopes that I'd get to bathe under the stars but we turned out to be completely surrounded by trees. I'm thinking day time slots are better. Overall it was relaxing. I'd recommend this spot to my parents since its quiet and private.

• Stayed March 2013
Pacific Grove, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We came here for the tubs after a triathlon in Arroyo Grande this past weekend, and it was the PERFECT post-triathlon relaxation. The staff here is very friendly and accommodating, and the private tubs were incredible. If you have ever taken a hike on any central coast inland trail and dreamed of plopping a mineral springs hot tub down right in the center of that wonderful nature, that's exactly what these tubs are like! Nature, healing, seclusion, connection, fantastic!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sycamore Mineral Springs? Share your experiences!