“Very unique mineral tubbing experience” 5 of 5 stars

Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa
1215 Avila Beach Drive, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405   |
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Santa Cruz, California
“Very unique mineral tubbing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I thought the way the tubs were set up was so cool. On an Oak shaded hillside all private. Great mineral water. Id never been to Avila Beach either which was very cool. Kinda like Capitola Village in my hometown. The hotel looked nice and updated in certain areas. The tubs were a little dated but who cares. I couldn't imagine the maintenance bills on that property. Very romantic place. Definitely on a must do list! We went in the day time but I bet the nigh time is spectacular. Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
La Canada Flintridge, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We have been coming to Sycamore for many years now. The reason is the mineral springs. We try and stay in the Harmony Building 2nd floor because of the outdoor hot tubs right outside the room. There is nothing more relaxing and romantic than looking at the stars while soaking. A side note we always stop by Avila Valley Barn on the way to the 101 highway for fresh farm products and baked goods.

Room Tip: 2 floor Harmony building
Templeton, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I got a room at Sycamore on a Saturday night. He works at Diablo Canyon so we figured we'd try it. We stayed in the Harmony Building in Y-not. It was horrible. The tile was cracked in the bathroom, the blinds were broken and the hot tub step was also broken. It reminded me of a house built in the 70's. The pipes that fill the hot tub were put together so hokey. There was blue pipe dope all over the pipes. The toilet ran all night long. The bed was uncomfortable. So uncomfortable we finaally just got up at 5:00am and just went home. Not to mention when we sat on the end of the bed to put our shoes on it wasn't even connected to the headboard. So we almost fell off. Weird for $250.00 a night. Not worth it. I have stayed at best Western's that are better than this. Never again. So disappointed. Also to get to the room I had to hike 1/2 a mile up a pretty steep hill with my luggage.

Room Tip: Go to Sea Venture In Pismo Beach, Ca!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
SycamoreGuestService, Manager at Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for your review, we rely on your feedback as it continually helps us improve. We are working on renovating our historic spa rooms. Our maintenance crew immediately checked the room and fixed all issues of concern. I am sorry you were not able to use the complimentary parking close to your room or our complimentary bellman services. Please contact me If you would considering giving us another try in the future and I will take care of your reservation personally.
Pismo Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

This review is just for the hot tubs as we didn't do anything else there.

My wife and I just moved to the area and visited the hot tubs last night. Very romantic and relaxed atmosphere. We had a great time--even at $13.50 per hour per person, we would do it again.
The hot tubs are private with a security gate and enclosure, so you can have a romantic time there without worrying about people suddenly joining you. The water seemed clean and at a nice temp, about 102 to 103, which made it easy to remain in the tub for the full hour (plus the 15 minute grace period the front desk gave us). Not sulfur smelling and not loaded with chlorine, our tub was really pleasant.
We climbed to the highest tub, and the walk is beautiful even at night with the overhanging trees (sycamore and oaks). We could also see plenty of stars clearly through the branches.
Bring your own towels to save the $2 rental. I believe you can also bring food and drink, but they probably have a no glass policy. We brought drinks in plastic bottles.
The stairs are a bit steep so people needing climbing assistance may want to stay on the lower levels. Reservations are recommended.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Recently spent an evening at the wonderful Sycamore Springs Resort and Spa. It's a very nice resort and reasonably priced for what it offers. Just wanted to share a couple of tips for anyone planning on a visit.

1) Definitely make your reservations for outdoor hot tubs way in advance like when you book your rooms. Sooner the better. Just ask for the Tub Desk to make the reso. Prime time slots will fill up fast and you'll regret it later if you failed to make that advanced reso. And you will definitely want to do the outdoor hot tubs! We failed to get an evening slot, which fill up fast so we opted for an 8am slot the next morning, again one of the few open slots. But a hot tub at 8am in 45 degree weather was sublime and great way to start the day! Def make the advanced reso and get an outdoor hot tub (also hotel guests get a reduced rate during weekdays).

Okay, 2) plan to stay at least 2 days. If you're thinking one day will be enough, you are wrong. We stayed one day and seriously regretted not planning ahead for a second night stay. Sure, in a one night stay you can enjoy the basics and still do the outdoor hottub. But it will be challenging to enjoy everything this property has to offer, like the yoga and Pilates, hiking trails, maximizing your hot springs time, etc. If you've stayed at Sycamore you know what I'm talking about.

That's it for my tips. I highly recommend this spot for a romantic getaway and hope to visit again someday. Those outdoor hottubs are the best!

Room Tip: Get a room nearest the main office and gift shop/tub desk as you will likely be going to those place...
Ventura
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Was told we'd have a queen room, but was put on the first level of the Harmony bldg which had two twin beds. Bldg. is old and the walls paper thin. This was a problem because we had a screaming child to one side and very noisy neighbors above us. Water pressure in the shower was weak. On the plus side the service was good as ice and a hair dryer were provided within 30 minutes of our calling. Upon check out I voiced my disappointment to the front desk person who just provided me with a weak apology and vacant smile. Don't be surprised at the huge tax added to your bill. Frankly, after paying a premium rate ($250 for a Saturday night), we were rather disappointed in the amenities which should have been upgraded. Please explain the value here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and expressing your concerns of value with us. I am sorry there was a confusion with the third party reservation system you used. We want every guest to have a great experience with us as well as superb communication to prevent any surprises at check in. When booked directly we email a confirmation directly from the resort and follow up with a confirmation phone call to review your stay, room type and answer any questions you may have prior to arrival. Unfortunately we have no control over the local tax rate added to the nightly room rate but we try to add value to our guests stay in many ways. During your stay we offer daily mind and body classes, wireless internet, parking, hiking trails, access to Avila Hot Springs, morning coffee service in our lobby and more. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the service you received during your stay and we hope you give us a chance to exceed your expectations in the future.
Laguna Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I've stayed here several times before (this is my 4th stay). The first time was awful - I was in one of their hotel rooms and it was outdated, loud, I could hear all my neighbors. Seriously it sucked - stay away from the hotel rooms!

On my next two trips I stayed in the "freshwater 1 bedroom suites" located in the West Meadows. These are great! Private, nicely appointed, and secluded. I'd recommend them but make sure you call ahead to book yourself at least one session in the mineral spring hot tubs located on the property so you can enjoy those too (there are no mineral spring tubs in the West Meadows suites).

On this trip I stayed in a 1BR mineral spring suite which is located in the "Mystic Building" - our suite was called "Inspire". First, these suites are not very private, they're similar to the hotel rooms in that you can hear all your neighbors and your balcony jacuzzi is a mere couple of feet from your neighbors (although separated by a partition).

On the second night the hot mineral spring water was out across the entire resort. I get it, these things happen. The front desk staff were unresponsive - they were friendly when I called but I had to repeatedly call for information when 30+ minutes would go by with no updated. They made it seem like it was unique to our unit but I found out later it was affecting the entire property. They offered a $30 credit for the room (which was $300 per night) but it seemed thoroughly inadequate considering *the* reason you stay here is the mineral springs water, otherwise you might as well stay at the Hampton Inn. Side note - we thought about using the trash cans in our room to transfer hot fresh water from the shower into the jacuzzi but the trash cans had brown goop at the bottom which was kind of gross.

Upon check-out, I asked to talk to the guest services manager (Amy) who was very accommodating and compassionate. She apologized for the issue, explained what was going on and offered to take the resort fees off our bill as well as send us a voucher for a complimentary future night. While I'm very appreciative of her offer, I think this should have been done pro-actively versus waiting until someone complains. I'm happy with the resolution but it seems they're more interested in taking your money than they are at pro-actively doing the right thing for guests.

Room Tip: Book the freshwater suites in the West Meadows as well as a session in the mineral springs hot tubs.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!