“Hot tubs were fantastic” 4 of 5 stars

Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa
1215 Avila Beach Drive, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405   |
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Pismo Beach, California
“Hot tubs were fantastic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

This review is just for the hot tubs as we didn't do anything else there.

My wife and I just moved to the area and visited the hot tubs last night. Very romantic and relaxed atmosphere. We had a great time--even at $13.50 per hour per person, we would do it again.
The hot tubs are private with a security gate and enclosure, so you can have a romantic time there without worrying about people suddenly joining you. The water seemed clean and at a nice temp, about 102 to 103, which made it easy to remain in the tub for the full hour (plus the 15 minute grace period the front desk gave us). Not sulfur smelling and not loaded with chlorine, our tub was really pleasant.
We climbed to the highest tub, and the walk is beautiful even at night with the overhanging trees (sycamore and oaks). We could also see plenty of stars clearly through the branches.
Bring your own towels to save the $2 rental. I believe you can also bring food and drink, but they probably have a no glass policy. We brought drinks in plastic bottles.
The stairs are a bit steep so people needing climbing assistance may want to stay on the lower levels. Reservations are recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Recently spent an evening at the wonderful Sycamore Springs Resort and Spa. It's a very nice resort and reasonably priced for what it offers. Just wanted to share a couple of tips for anyone planning on a visit.

1) Definitely make your reservations for outdoor hot tubs way in advance like when you book your rooms. Sooner the better. Just ask for the Tub Desk to make the reso. Prime time slots will fill up fast and you'll regret it later if you failed to make that advanced reso. And you will definitely want to do the outdoor hot tubs! We failed to get an evening slot, which fill up fast so we opted for an 8am slot the next morning, again one of the few open slots. But a hot tub at 8am in 45 degree weather was sublime and great way to start the day! Def make the advanced reso and get an outdoor hot tub (also hotel guests get a reduced rate during weekdays).

Okay, 2) plan to stay at least 2 days. If you're thinking one day will be enough, you are wrong. We stayed one day and seriously regretted not planning ahead for a second night stay. Sure, in a one night stay you can enjoy the basics and still do the outdoor hottub. But it will be challenging to enjoy everything this property has to offer, like the yoga and Pilates, hiking trails, maximizing your hot springs time, etc. If you've stayed at Sycamore you know what I'm talking about.

That's it for my tips. I highly recommend this spot for a romantic getaway and hope to visit again someday. Those outdoor hottubs are the best!

Room Tip: Get a room nearest the main office and gift shop/tub desk as you will likely be going to those place...
Ventura
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Was told we'd have a queen room, but was put on the first level of the Harmony bldg which had two twin beds. Bldg. is old and the walls paper thin. This was a problem because we had a screaming child to one side and very noisy neighbors above us. Water pressure in the shower was weak. On the plus side the service was good as ice and a hair dryer were provided within 30 minutes of our calling. Upon check out I voiced my disappointment to the front desk person who just provided me with a weak apology and vacant smile. Don't be surprised at the huge tax added to your bill. Frankly, after paying a premium rate ($250 for a Saturday night), we were rather disappointed in the amenities which should have been upgraded. Please explain the value here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SycamoreGuestService, Manager at Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and expressing your concerns of value with us. I am sorry there was a confusion with the third party reservation system you used. We want every guest to have a great experience with us as well as superb communication to prevent any surprises at check in. When booked directly we email a confirmation directly from the resort and follow up with a confirmation phone call to review your stay, room type and answer any questions you may have prior to arrival. Unfortunately we have no control over the local tax rate added to the nightly room rate but we try to add value to our guests stay in many ways. During your stay we offer daily mind and body classes, wireless internet, parking, hiking trails, access to Avila Hot Springs, morning coffee service in our lobby and more. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the service you received during your stay and we hope you give us a chance to exceed your expectations in the future.
Laguna Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I've stayed here several times before (this is my 4th stay). The first time was awful - I was in one of their hotel rooms and it was outdated, loud, I could hear all my neighbors. Seriously it sucked - stay away from the hotel rooms!

On my next two trips I stayed in the "freshwater 1 bedroom suites" located in the West Meadows. These are great! Private, nicely appointed, and secluded. I'd recommend them but make sure you call ahead to book yourself at least one session in the mineral spring hot tubs located on the property so you can enjoy those too (there are no mineral spring tubs in the West Meadows suites).

On this trip I stayed in a 1BR mineral spring suite which is located in the "Mystic Building" - our suite was called "Inspire". First, these suites are not very private, they're similar to the hotel rooms in that you can hear all your neighbors and your balcony jacuzzi is a mere couple of feet from your neighbors (although separated by a partition).

On the second night the hot mineral spring water was out across the entire resort. I get it, these things happen. The front desk staff were unresponsive - they were friendly when I called but I had to repeatedly call for information when 30+ minutes would go by with no updated. They made it seem like it was unique to our unit but I found out later it was affecting the entire property. They offered a $30 credit for the room (which was $300 per night) but it seemed thoroughly inadequate considering *the* reason you stay here is the mineral springs water, otherwise you might as well stay at the Hampton Inn. Side note - we thought about using the trash cans in our room to transfer hot fresh water from the shower into the jacuzzi but the trash cans had brown goop at the bottom which was kind of gross.

Upon check-out, I asked to talk to the guest services manager (Amy) who was very accommodating and compassionate. She apologized for the issue, explained what was going on and offered to take the resort fees off our bill as well as send us a voucher for a complimentary future night. While I'm very appreciative of her offer, I think this should have been done pro-actively versus waiting until someone complains. I'm happy with the resolution but it seems they're more interested in taking your money than they are at pro-actively doing the right thing for guests.

Room Tip: Book the freshwater suites in the West Meadows as well as a session in the mineral springs hot tubs.
Long Beach, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We had a trip during the weekend for just saturday night in the 3 bedroom guesthouse. The house was enormous. Full living room and 3 bedrooms each with their own bathroom. In addition, a full kitchen with sub zero fridge. And also, 2 hot tubs in the back. The guest house was at the far end of the resort which made it very private but within distance of the resorts amenities but I doubt you would need to go to the resort since this guest house has everything you would need. All 6 of us loved it and it actually ended up a little bit cheaper than each couple booking a standard room. Definitely wish we could of stayed for more than a night. We are already thinking of booking our next trip to Sycamore when the weather gets warmer.

Orcutt, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We have lived in this area for 7+yrs and have been to the Sycamore Mineral Springs for massages before. My husband surprised me with a nights stay in a King spa bungalow and a massage. My relaxing massage was great. Our room was not. For spending over $300 we expected a nice room. The room was out dated and the bathroom had more than a few cracked tiles and alot of grout missing out of the shower. The outdoor spa was super old, but the jets did work. Because the rooms are built on top of metal pylons, the floor was super creaky. I guess you are paying for the spa more than the room? We have spent less and received more at other resorts. I love the spa and Bob Jones Trail. Maybe next time we just get the cheepest room and try not to be dissapointed.

Sonoma County, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We unfortunately arrived late in the day and had to leave the next morning. The staff was lovely, our room with 2 queens was very clean and comfortable.We were up on the hill and the outside was not inviting but the inside was great.
I like having a personal hot tub without chlorine that gets emptied and cleaned after each guest. Lovely walks and a beautiful labyrinth.
I would definitely go back and have more time to explore.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!