“Overall was nice. Some issues and the price seems high.” 3 of 5 stars

Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1215 Avila Beach Drive, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405   |
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Laguna Beach, California
“Overall was nice. Some issues and the price seems high.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I've stayed here several times before (this is my 4th stay). The first time was awful - I was in one of their hotel rooms and it was outdated, loud, I could hear all my neighbors. Seriously it sucked - stay away from the hotel rooms!

On my next two trips I stayed in the "freshwater 1 bedroom suites" located in the West Meadows. These are great! Private, nicely appointed, and secluded. I'd recommend them but make sure you call ahead to book yourself at least one session in the mineral spring hot tubs located on the property so you can enjoy those too (there are no mineral spring tubs in the West Meadows suites).

On this trip I stayed in a 1BR mineral spring suite which is located in the "Mystic Building" - our suite was called "Inspire". First, these suites are not very private, they're similar to the hotel rooms in that you can hear all your neighbors and your balcony jacuzzi is a mere couple of feet from your neighbors (although separated by a partition).

On the second night the hot mineral spring water was out across the entire resort. I get it, these things happen. The front desk staff were unresponsive - they were friendly when I called but I had to repeatedly call for information when 30+ minutes would go by with no updated. They made it seem like it was unique to our unit but I found out later it was affecting the entire property. They offered a $30 credit for the room (which was $300 per night) but it seemed thoroughly inadequate considering *the* reason you stay here is the mineral springs water, otherwise you might as well stay at the Hampton Inn. Side note - we thought about using the trash cans in our room to transfer hot fresh water from the shower into the jacuzzi but the trash cans had brown goop at the bottom which was kind of gross.

Upon check-out, I asked to talk to the guest services manager (Amy) who was very accommodating and compassionate. She apologized for the issue, explained what was going on and offered to take the resort fees off our bill as well as send us a voucher for a complimentary future night. While I'm very appreciative of her offer, I think this should have been done pro-actively versus waiting until someone complains. I'm happy with the resolution but it seems they're more interested in taking your money than they are at pro-actively doing the right thing for guests.

Room Tip: Book the freshwater suites in the West Meadows as well as a session in the mineral springs hot tubs.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Long Beach, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We had a trip during the weekend for just saturday night in the 3 bedroom guesthouse. The house was enormous. Full living room and 3 bedrooms each with their own bathroom. In addition, a full kitchen with sub zero fridge. And also, 2 hot tubs in the back. The guest house was at the far end of the resort which made it very private but within distance of the resorts amenities but I doubt you would need to go to the resort since this guest house has everything you would need. All 6 of us loved it and it actually ended up a little bit cheaper than each couple booking a standard room. Definitely wish we could of stayed for more than a night. We are already thinking of booking our next trip to Sycamore when the weather gets warmer.

Orcutt, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We have lived in this area for 7+yrs and have been to the Sycamore Mineral Springs for massages before. My husband surprised me with a nights stay in a King spa bungalow and a massage. My relaxing massage was great. Our room was not. For spending over $300 we expected a nice room. The room was out dated and the bathroom had more than a few cracked tiles and alot of grout missing out of the shower. The outdoor spa was super old, but the jets did work. Because the rooms are built on top of metal pylons, the floor was super creaky. I guess you are paying for the spa more than the room? We have spent less and received more at other resorts. I love the spa and Bob Jones Trail. Maybe next time we just get the cheepest room and try not to be dissapointed.

Sonoma County, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We unfortunately arrived late in the day and had to leave the next morning. The staff was lovely, our room with 2 queens was very clean and comfortable.We were up on the hill and the outside was not inviting but the inside was great.
I like having a personal hot tub without chlorine that gets emptied and cleaned after each guest. Lovely walks and a beautiful labyrinth.
I would definitely go back and have more time to explore.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Pasadena, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Our first visit was amazing. We loved the west meadow room - they are beautiful with fireplace, separate living room, patio tub, and there is a nice walking trail. We loved our stay so much we went back some months later. This time we were advised by the phone reservations operator to stay in the Basic Room because I had decided to ask if all the tubs had real hot springs water, and was informed that only the basic rooms did. So, the Basic room is what we selected for our second visit which was on a summer day.

The room located was on a steep hill, dark with the shade of many oak trees. The walk was steep and we had to carry our luggage and bags uphill from the car, then found the room and pool inhabited by mosquitoes. We had no interest in sitting out in that tub with hungry mosquitoes. These rooms on the hill have no air conditioning so one would need to keep windows/door open to cool down the room in summertime. We really disliked this room as it was humming with mosquitoes. Also, it looked like we were the only ones staying in this block of rooms and so it was unusually quiet. Perhaps other guests knew better.

I very much plan to return to this hotel because of the wonderful time we had with the Suite room. I need to make sure that it is a suite! I would just strongly advise to avoid the Basic Rooms. What a huge difference.

Room Tip: Avoid the Basic Rooms!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Goleta, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

We live about 2 hours away but consistently return to Sycamore MS for weekend getaways. The meadow suites are worth it... Feels comfy, just upscale enough, and the surrounding grounds are quite soothing. Took a yoga class at the resort and it was fantastic, great personal attention. Service is A+. Food at the cafe or in nearby village is decent, helped by the fact it is mostly grown fresh at nearby farms.

• Stayed October 2012
Central California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I had been looking forward to a spa visit at Sycamore Mineral Springs, and was hugely disappointed with the experience ... mainly the disgusting condition of the mineral pool for my "complimentary" soak. I'd quietly mentioned the condition of the pool to every staff member I came in contact with, and was told the pools were public, and can't be emptied and cleaned every day. Uh ... WHAT? That's just gross, considering what some of the "public" do in those steamy, stewing pits. I understand that mineral water smells like sulpher, and leaves brown stains, but c'mon ... a public jacuzzi needs to be emptied and cleaned more frequently ... not less. The spa treatments were okay ... nothing spectacular, and were higher priced than a private practitioner. But I expected that, given that the place has a rep with locals, as being "corporate", with a move 'em in and out attitude. Definately not geared to personal service or doing anything to insure a return custormer.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
SycamoreGuestService, Manager at Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to answer your questions regarding our mineral spring hot tubs. I am sorry that we did not communicate it clearly upon your visit and it left you disappointed. We do offer a 30 minute complimentary private mineral spring hot tub soak prior to every spa treatment as well as rent them by the hour. This offering relaxes your muscles prior to your spa treatment which guests find unique and very beneficial and allows them to get the most therapeutic value of their spa treatments. The mineral rich water in our hot tubs are naturally derived from aquifers under ground. Our hot tubs are equipped with an ecological system that consistently circulates the fresh mineral water in every hot tub all day and night while conserving this precious natural resource. The water does contain natural minerals that can leave colors of oxidation in our hot tubs. Our hot tubs are cleaned regularly and follow the strict guidelines of the local health department to provide a safe, therapeutic and relaxing experience that the earth below us provides to share with our resort guests.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Luis Obispo
Avila Lighthouse Suites
Avila Lighthouse Suites
#2 of 5 in Avila Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 293 reviews

Been to Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!