“Wonderful Romantic Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Carlsbad, California, United States
“Wonderful Romantic Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

My husband and I booked a suite at Sycamore for our 10th anniversary. It was absolutely amazing! The room was lovely, the service was kind and courteous, and the mineral hot tub on the balcony ~ completely private and beautiful under the sycamore trees! ~ was beyond relaxing and romantic. My only wish is that the hotel would provide a shuttle or some such thing into Avila beach. The parking down there is almost non-existent. Other than that our experience was perfect!

We didn't use the spa services or eat at the restaurant, so I cannot comment on those. We did order room service for breakfast and it was excellent!

Room Tip: Book a suite! I would avoid rooms in the adventure building. I stayed there 10 years ago and they we...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Port Huron, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

We had a wonderful time on our trip to Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort. The resort is beautiful and clean. The staff is helpful and pleasant. We stayed in a King's Meadow Suite and it was well worth the extra cost. It is tucked away in the woods across the street but is easily accessible with golf carts and is quiet and private. Our hot tub was so relaxing and secluded. We never heard another person near us. We climbed the 3/4 mile trail up the mountain on their property and it ended at some of most beautiful views of the surrounding area. We felt like we were sitting in the clouds. The grounds are gorgeous and well-maintained and worth the few minutes to browse around. For breakfast, I had one of the best morning sandwiches I have ever had in my life! It was an egg sandwich with avocado grown locally and it was delicious. I would highly recommend this resort to everyone. It is worth every penny!

Room Tip: King's Meadow Suites were luxurious with seclusion, fireplace, and outdoor jacuzzi tub. I felt...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Eight of us stayed at SMS Resort for a bachelorette party weekend. From beginning to end it was awesome! We had terrific service from Marina in setting up our stay, Audrey at the spa was amazing in scheduling our treatments, and the restaurant staff was stellar. :-)

Unfortunately the 3-bedroom was booked for our weekend, but we were able to arrange for both a 2-bedroom and 1-bedroom suite so we had more than sufficient space for everyone. This is probably the quietest place I've ever stayed; there was none of the early morning bustle that typically surrounds a standard hotel, and we never felt rushed to get anywhere in a hurry.

Our group had people attend both the Saturday pilates and Sunday morning yoga classes, and all thoroughly enjoyed the relaxing yet invigorating workouts.

Amazing spa treatment area; there was plenty of space, and time to relax between services. No issues at all with us bringing food/beverages into the waiting areas.

All I can say about the Oasis tub is: HOLY MOLY!!! It's your very own private grotto to lounge around and have a blast with your friends - or significant other. ;-) Wow, and wow, and wow - we were all depressed the day we left at not having our tub time anymore!

The eight of us voted a resounding yes for SMS Resort as a must do again!

Room Tip: Recommend the 2-bedroom "Heavenly" suite!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed one night during our three week road trip of California. It was a relaxing break from our hectic schedule. The Promising suite was clean and comfortable. Fireplace was a nice addition. The bed was beyond comfortable! We didn't get to enjoy the additional amenities, but I would stay there again for a few days. Really wanted to take a yoga class or hike the mountain! The hot tub was great also! Very relaxing with a cup of coffee in the morning. The only negative was that there were small children staying in the suite next to us. They woke up early and started slamming the front door often. They were also running around screaming. This is more the parents' issue than the hotel's, but wanted to mention it.

Room Tip: Each room has a name. "Promising" suite was great!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bakersfield, California, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We just got home from another trip to Sycamore Mineral Springs. This time we stayed for my wife's birthday, her 40th. I should have known it wasn't going to be as special as I was hoping from the moment I made my reservations. I initially tried to make my reservations through the internet but, that would not work as the number of days exceeded the 4-day special. So I called and spoke to a guest service rep. And as any bargain shopper should, I asked for the current deals and specials and was told of a few. I arranged for my trip and was told of the price and a confirmation email was sent the next day. When I reviewed the email confirmation, I was not given the deal I was told over the phone. I also asked about their Triple A rate and was told to ask at the time of check in.

On the day we arrived, I was told that they did not have a Triple A discount and that they did not know why I was told to ask when we checked in. Since it was my wife's 40th birthday, quite the milestone, I had arranged for the "Romance" package to be delivered on her birthday, while we were out. The day of her birthday, it was incumbent on me to remind the staff to set up the room. Later that night, after dinner, we came back to the room to find a trail of rose petals from the front door to the bedroom and rose petals in the shape of a heart on the bed. I thought that was very nice. Champagne in the refrigerator (which froze everything but alcohol). However, the next day when we came back to the room, after it was 'cleaned', there were dried up rose petals all over the floor.

When we checked in for our 5 night stay, I asked to have a late check-out scheduled and was told that I needed to call the night before. So, when it came time to call for the late check out, I called the night before and asked. Only to be told that they could not set up a late check-out and would have to call the morning I was to check out as it was first come, first served. What's the point in asking for a late check-out when you just have to get up early to ask for one anyways?

We have stayed at this resort 7 times in the past 7 years and each time we have stayed in the West Meadows suites. The rooms are nice but, each time we come, the guest service keeps declining. It seems that they are happy to take your money and don't care what happens while you are there. Additionally, during this trip, there seemed to be a lot more families with children, which over the years has not been the case as the resort advertises a more peaceful, relaxing environment. During this trip, we had three families in the West Meadows where there seemed to be several dozen kids ranging in age from 6 to 16 running around, yelling and being 'kids'. So much for the rest and relaxation advertised.

My wife and I like to walk from the parking lot to the West Meadows but the service staff that drives the carts seem to think the bridge is the Autobahn in Germany. Several times we had to 'hug' the railings to avoid being run over.

No matter how many times you complain or ask for any type of compensation, you will only receive a fake apology (never in person), if you're even lucky enough to get that. Again, the only thing the staff at Sycamore Mineral Springs cares about is taking your money and being able to tell you "NO" to anything and everything you ask for.

My wife and I will NEVER stay there again. Too many chances, not enough improvement.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We spent one night at Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort in August, 2012 and had a wonderful time. I wish we could have stayed longer. We ate at their restaurant, climbed their mountain, walked their grounds, enjoyed their relaxation environment and wanted more! The property is beautiful. The hike to the top of the summit trail is hard but worth every sweat bead. The rooms were exceptionally clean and the hot tubs thoroughly enjoyable. We stayed in the King's Meadow Suites and they were unbelievable. Quiet and secluded-which was what we were looking for on our anniversary.
Our only complaint was the very small portions in their in-house restaurant for dinner even though they were very high priced. However, the breakfast was exceptional. I ordered the breakfast egg sandwich with locally grown avocado and other fare and it was the best breakfast sandwich I have ever had!
Overall, I would rate this experience as exceptional and recommend it to everyone, including family and friends!

Room Tip: I would recommend the King's Meadows Suites...secluded and beautiful.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

When we arrived at the hotel we were amazed by how nice it was!
After checking in we went to our spa suite called 'Journey' it was amazing! The main bed was amazing and the sofa bed was comfy also.
The hot tub worked fine although it did drain the water so we had to keep re-filling it! The only downsides were probably the little mouse running around next to our hot tub (nothing major) and the fact that the shower is basically pointed at the shower door so whenever you open the shower door, water goes everywhere!

We also ate in the on-site restaurant. This was OK, the burger and chips wasn't very nice but the chicken dish and also the pasta with cheese sauce was alright.
Wish we were there for more than 1 night!

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!