“One of the Best Hot Springs Anywhere” 5 of 5 stars

Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa
1215 Avila Beach Drive, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405   |
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Ventura, CA
“One of the Best Hot Springs Anywhere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

My wife and I have been here many times. The resort is perfect with hot tubs outside of each room. The restaurant is fantastic and the Spa onsite is fantastic. And the spa has a bunch of private hot tubs up on a hill above the resort. This place has been around since William Randolph Hearst guests used t stop here to soak before heading up to the "ranch". I would recommend this for a romantic getaway, honeymoon or week long stay.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
SycamoreGuestService, Guest Relations Manager at Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Dear Robert,
Thank you for your wonderful review of our resort and the offerings you and your wife enjoy while you are here for your romantic getaway. We really appreciate your loyalty to Sycamore for so many years. We love welcoming you and your wife to resort and look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

5 year ago I was driving away seeking some much needed recreation time - and hot spring water. I've been back at least once a year since. Sycamore springs has changed not at all in that time - the rooms at least. If you enjoy relative quiet (walls are kind of thin - couple with kids next door) a hot tub filled with hot piped mineral water - the real stuff - stinky in an elemental earth way then come here. The restaurants and spa services are overpriced but the place is surrounded by beautiful oaks and there is the Bob Jones bike trail down to Avila beach. I enjoyed paddleboarding, some surfing, bicycling the day up and down the coast. Its California at its simple best. Good restaurants aren't far away and at the end of the day there is the wonderful stinky tub.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Dear Loyal Guest,
Thank you for sharing your review. We are so happy you discovered our resort over 5 years ago and take full advantage of our mineral spring waters and local area surroundings while you are visiting. We have two different hot springs water available depending on your room preference both full of therapeutic minerals, some with more sulfur smell than others. Our spa and restaurant are quite competitive with our neighbors but as you mentioned, Sycamore is surrounded by over a hundred years of nature that is unique to our resort and offerings. Thank you for sharing your experience, we look forward to seeing you again.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

Just spent four days at the hot springs...Sycamore Springs...personal hot tube outside the room, yoga twice a day and a wonderful 4 mile easy walk to the ocean front. Yes!!! I love this place.

Room Tip: This is hard cause there are wonderful cottages with fire place and rooms throughout the canyon.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Dear Rejuvenated Guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience and choosing Sycamore to get some much deserved rest and relaxation. We appreciated the opportunity to host your 4 day getaway and we are pleased to hear that you took advantage of our offerings. We hope to see you next time you need some more rest and relaxation!
Beaumont, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

We checked in at Sycamore Springs for our first anniversary at the Springs.

We discovered that the resort mineral springs were not part of the pkg. That was a surprise, as when we called to make the reservation we were told the mineral springs were still accessible to us despite booking a room with a hot tub. What we didn't expect was that the springs that were accessible to us were driving distance away, and the ones at the resort were only available at a charge (and by the hour)! We put on our game faces and went to the nearby springs that were "included". The springs --located at a campground-- were a dive. We had to wade into the springs and sit on the ground of the springs, and there were people sprawled all over the ramp as we walked into the springs. Not the least bit classy. If we had stayed at the campground, we wouldn't have been disappointed...But, we were paying $400 bucks to stay at the resort! At this point it was too late to find another place, what a let down. The lady at the desk offered us another dessert (we'd all ready received a free dessert b/c it was our anniversary). We turned it down.

The room and location were nice, as well as our dinner, but we could've booked a nice room, location and meal elsewhere---we'd booked at Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort for the mineral springs.

A genuine disappointment.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
SycamoreGuestService, Guest Relations Manager at Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
Dear Nell,
We appreciate your review, it allows me to clarify that all of our rooms have private balcony hot tubs. We also have hillside mineral spring hot tubs that are accessible by guests and open to the public. They are rented by the hour. We give our resort guests a discounted rate of 50% to these hot tubs Monday-Thursday prior to 3pm.We also offer all of our resort guests complimentary access to the Avila Hot Springs down the road. This is a public facility and also have mineral springs available. I am truly sorry for the confusion and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay despite the misunderstanding.
Santa Barbara, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

We reserved an expensive room with a specific type of tub. We did not get what we reserved, and management refused any compensation. The manager also did not call me back after he promised to do so. Sycamore Hot Springs has a problems with honesty, credibility, and is not a value for the money.

Room Tip: Doesn't matter; reservations are not guaranteed.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Dave,

Thank you for your review, I appreciate the opportunity to clarify a few points you have made. First I would like to apology for the confusion. You requested a certain seating style in your hot tub. We accommodated your hot tub preference which was mineral water but the hot tub style in the standard rooms are of a bench style and we are not able to change out the hot tub for a lounge style hot tub as requested. We do have those hot tubs in our larger suites which have larger hot tubs that allow for the lounge style seating. The manager on duty did go over those details with you I am sorry if you were expecting further clarification from another manager at that point as well. We hope this clarifies it a bit further and again we apologize for any inconvenience but we are happy to hear that you enjoyed the location and your room.
Gardena, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO THIS PLACE.
I don't even want to give them a star!
I've been to this place at least once every year for this past 6years.
And I had a great time with my friends and families.
But NOT THIS TIME!!
This trip was absolutely AWFULLLLL!!!

First of all, the family above us was loud enough to keep us awake til midnight, and then waking up us with kids pounding on bed, but hey I understand taking kid to a vacation is a hard work for parents and I didn't want to ruin there memories so I kept it to myself.
But the WORST was the father of this family was FILMING of us with a camcorder while we where in the jaccuzzi naked!!!!

!!!!!!OH MY GOD!!!!!!!
I called up the customer service right after I got out. And few minutes after, two manager looking guys where standing in front of my door saying that they went upstairs and talked to the family.
They were saying that
"this is a very rare case of a guy taking a photo(or filming) with a kids with him. It's kind of hard to believe this happened"
OK so I figured out this WASN'T actually the first time that someone WAS tooked and are your tilling me that I am actually lying!?
This father saw us looking up and went back in the room, then came back out again still having the camcorder in his hand so we splashed the water to him, and finally stayed in the room. Soooo obvious!?

And the managers were also saying that "If the problem was told earlier I could of either moved you to a different room or have them moved to a different place"
NO! That's not the point that I'm talking about right!?!? People upstairs are able to look down in other customers room!? I was claiming that this was a criminal and my privacy was ABSOLUTELY NOT SECURED!!!!

And still they charged me with a full price including the resort fee(which includes the SECURITY charge hahaha)
WOW. Just spent $150+ for having someone taking you naked.
This is the WORST HOTEL I every went to!!
I would absolutely NOT go back again.

Room Tip: Absolutely UPSTAIRS for girls
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,
We appreciate your loyalty in the past and regret that your recent experience did not compare. As you know, we contacted the guest regarding your allegation as soon as you informed us of your concern. He was in the room with his family and we were very clear about the importance of maintaining our guests privacy. We confirmed with you and you were satisfied.We offered to change your room but you declined. You were in a building that had a top and bottom floor. The guests window faces the hillside and not the bottom floor hot tub. The top floor have hot tubs on the opposite side than the bottom floor, which ensures privacy. . To correct your resort fee statement, it does not include a security fee. We take our guests privacy very seriously and apologize for any misunderstanding or inconvenience.
California, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

In the past, our family has stayed in one of the Mythical Suites at this resort. This time we stayed in the Adventure Building because the place was really full. As always, the staff was lovely, the mineral water awesome and the views beautiful. However, this time, the room was dark, dingy and old and the climate control basically nonexistent. They don't advertise the Suites on the website - you have to know to ask for them. They have a living room, fireplace, a lovely bathroom and a mineral spa on the deck. -all with beautiful furniture. More expensive, but really worth it. I won't stay in the older rooms again.

Room Tip: Ask for the Mythical Suites and stay away from the older rooms.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!