“Glad I tried it!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 219 Restaurants in San Leandro
San Leandro, California
“Glad I tried it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

This restaurant has been open for a couple of years now, and I never tried it because of the name and logo (too trendy....they couldn't be serious about their sushi!)...Also, I am (ahem) older and saw lots of young people flock in and out of there, so assumed it was more of a fun hangout than a serious sushi restaurant.

But a police action down the road a bit blocked me from my intended destination for dinner last night, and as I doubled back, I decided to pull in and try it. I am so glad I did!

The restaurant is smaller than it looks from the outside, there is a bar for about 10 and table seating for about 30.... The décor is modern, yet subdued.

I was greeted quickly and my drink order was brought promptly. For such a small restaurant, I thought it took a little too long for the waiter to take my order, but he was decent after that.

I ordered the dragon roll and sake nigiri....both were delicious, the salmon tasted fresh...and what really won me over was the sushi rice. I dislike stuffing a whole piece of sushi in my mouth at once, so sticky rice and good wrapping skills are key to me. I was able to 2-bite each piece of the dragon roll.

I hate to write a review based on one meal, but I think this deserves to be on the map. I will go back and try it again soon...and will update this review if I think it needs updating. I want to go back to try the fried banana dessert...I was too full to try it last night.

Other than the slow start on the service, I loved it. Oh, and I also peeked at the other dishes being served, and they all looked like they were lovingly made. I think they ARE serious about their sushi!

• Visited July 2014