“Good hotel for a night's sleep” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Winchester
“Good hotel for a night's sleep”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Stayed here in November 2012 for a night after getting off a flight from London Heathrow. The room was what I expected, and had good wifi. Would recommend this hotel for a base and the breakfast was ok.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
San Diego, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stayed at this hotel recently and was pleasantly surprised. The room was clean, the shower worked well and the staff was professional and friendly. The gift shop had a nice supply of snacks and drinks, plus there is a Denny's in the parking lot. All in all, I was quite impressed, with one exception...

The internet wifi service was horribly slow. It performed about as well as a dial-up connection. As someone who relies on having good access wherever I stay for work reasons, I was disappointed.

So, while I give this hotel high marks in just about every category, the lack of good wifi may cause me to look elsewhere in the future. If that isn't a concern for you, however, this is a nice place to stay, and very conveniently located to downtown San Juan Capistrano.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

This is our fourth stay at this hotel. We stay here when visiting family in San Juan Capistrano, it's a perfect place for coming and going. Its a very convenient location, about 10 minutes by car from Dana Point and the beach. There are nearby horse stables and horseback riding, a golf course, and a trail for running.

This is a very basic hotel, clean, spacious rooms, and a comfortable bed. There is also a refrigerator. Rooms on the second level have good size balconies.

This past stay we asked for a roll away bed, paid for it, and it was never delivered. We called the front desk and they were all out of roll aways. It was very disappointing, since we reserved it in advance. However, this was our first complaint after four stays.

Bring your own soap, the soap they provide crumbles when showering. A little shampoo is provided. The hotel is within walking distance to the mission. No frills, inexpensive stay. There is a nice sized pool located in the parking lot.

I recommend asking for a room in the back away from the Ortega Hwy. Room 421.

Room Tip: I recommend asking for a room in the back away from the Ortega Hwy. Room 421.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Robert G, Manager at BEST WESTERN Capistrano Inn, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
The Best Western Capistrano Inn values and appreciates your comments on your recent stay. We will always encourage and seek guest feedback. Overall Improvement in customer service is a focus for us and we continue to expect more from ourselves in order to exceed our guest expectations. Thank you for taking time out of your day to comment on your experience. Your business is appreciated and it would be our honor to serve you again in the future.

Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

This hotel was selected by the bride and groom for their wedding guests. They were going for location and managing expense to their guests; they negotiated a rate.
Never received e-mail confirmation of the reservations and rate; requested twice after initial reservation. Verbally they confirmed the correct rates each time I called.
When arrived, they could not figure what rooms to put us in (we needed 3 rooms, traveling with young children, they knew this when reservation was made), had no map of the facility, the front desk did not know what type of beds were in each room –then our rates were wrong, higher – they said I requested AAA, which I do not have. They did not know the wedding rates and had to check other wedding guest rooms – the front desk said they would fix it.
I got LOCKED IN MY ROOM, when I tried to leave for breakfast one of the two dead bolts would not open. I was told to maintenance was not there yet, to wait, he would be arriving soon. Rooms had various locking systems.
Breakfast was toaster waffles, instant oatmeal with hot water container that was not hot – then cold cereal, packaged pastries, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, bananas and apples - sufficient but less than expected, so this is what you should expect.
The outlet in the bathroom did not hold the plugs.
Very slow internet.
When we checked in the rooms smelled until you ran the fan.
When we checked out, the rates were still wrong. No one there could help; the manager did not take calls when he was off duty. The staff is clueless.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Robert G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Capistrano Inn, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for your feedback to the Best Western Capistrano Inn. All staff and management will discuss customer reviews on a weekly basic. We are disappointed we could not provide the service we strive for and for not meeting your expectations. We will continue to strive for improvement and a better understanding of guest expectations. Feedback will be used to better serve our next guest and it is always encouraged and appreciated. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to comment on your experience. Our sincere apologizes for your inconvenience.

Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

This property was right off the 5. I pull in late one evening, the price was right, the room was clean and quite. The fella at the front desk was awake and friendly at 1 AM. What I like about Best Westerns is you know what your going to get. Great place for a short stay while traveling in Southern California. I would most likely stay again if passing through.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Robert G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Capistrano Inn, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for the time you spend reviewing your experience at the Best Western Capistrano Inn. We appreciate all guest feedback and proactively use it to better serve our next guest. We value your business and are pleased to hear about your stay. It would be out honor to accommodate you and your needs in the future. We hope to see you again soon.

949-493-5661 Ext.450
Carson, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I always consider Best Western when planning vacations, as I have good experience with their other hotels, but this particular one, though in great location to the places I planned to go, was not to my expectation. There were a lot of small roaches in our room, from the carpet to the beds. We check-in really late at the time when every motels/hotels are full so we had no choice but made do with the accommodation we have that moment. It was terrible. They should have someone to do quality check on their rooms and facilities. And this was our 5 year wedding anniversary vacation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Robert G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Capistrano Inn, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
The Best Western Capistrano encourages guest’s reviews and appreciates all feedback. We genuinely embrace opportunities to rectify and resolve issues if a guest encounters one at our establishment. When we do not have this opportunity we are greatly disappointed. We sincerely apologize for not providing the experience and service that we strive for. It would be my pleasure to rectify your experience if you would be kind enough to open a dialog with us directly.

Robert Grether
949-493-5661 Ext.450
Santa Cruz, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Easy to find right off the highway. Parking is pretty tight. They're tucked in behind a busy gas station and right next to a Denny's. my room was on the south facing area and as I approached my room, there was a pungent oder of sewage. The room was nice with all the niceties. Nice tv with working remote. After getting some food at Denny's I decided to try out the jacuzzi, which was very nice ( so was the pool).
I had a good nights sleep.
I was up at 6:30 am needing to get going, but wickedly disappointed to be told they had NO COFFEE till 7am. Grudgingly, I waited (gotta have my morning coffee). The guy in the office for my check out was not hiding the fact that he couldn't have cared less.

I probably wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Robert G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Capistrano Inn, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
We appreciate you saying something about your stay and experience at our hotel. I want to apologize for the lack of care you’re received during your check out. I am not pleased and I am highly disappointed about the absence of our sympathy regarding the coffee. We will continue to focus on improving guest service and we will take your comments to heart to better serve our next guest.

Robert Grether
949-493-5661

Been to BEST WESTERN Capistrano Inn? Share your experiences!