“Great Place to Relax” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mission Inn Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Juan Capistrano
Prices are for rooms, adults
Mission Inn Bed and Breakfast
Save Saved
You added Mission Inn Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
26891 Ortega Highway, San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675   |
Rio Rancho, NM
“Great Place to Relax”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2008

My wife and I had a wonderful time in early April. Great room and enjoyed the pool and gardens. Wonderful place for "empty nesters" as there are no children around! Harold and his staff were great and we enjoyed conversing with them everyday. Soaked up the sun, swam and enjoyed reading by the pool.

• Liked — Clean and spacious
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Amsterdam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2008

beautiful flowers, wonderful orange trees are the only 2 nice things at this property.

There is no sense of warm feeling from the moment we checked in until the moment we checked out. The breakfast was alright, nothing special, some people may think they have better breakfast at home. They say they have wireless internet access, but this is only valid when you sit in the lobby.

For the money we paid, I'd rather look for something else next time when we are in San Juan Capistrano.

• Liked — orange treess in the garden
  • Disliked — rude inn keeper
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Huntington Beach CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

Well, the flowers were beautiful and we did enjoy the breakfast, especially the last morning where there were eggs, cheese, meat, etc, but the innkeeper(Harold) was a bit rude. He had absolutely no suggestion for food delivery, except pizza. I called my brother who lives in San Juan and he gave me the name of great place just across the freeway. I offered the innkeeper a menu and he wasn't at all interested and seemed annoyed that I would even offer a suggestion. He acted quite bored with us and wouldn't even split up our room charges over 2 credit cards. The pictures on the web site are certainly well done and a bit deceptive. You can't tell that it is just a converted old motel. I'm not sure I could suggest this to any one.

• Liked — garden area
  • Disliked — innkeeper
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

The flowers are beautiful, the breakfast very good, the masseuse was great. Side B - large crows frequently pecked away at the shake roof. It sounded like someone was knocking on the door of my room about every 10 minutes - starting at the crack of dawn, going throughout the day. The management was annoyed with me when I reported the noise. The 2nd day I couldn't take it any more and I left early and exhausted. They charged me a full rate anyway.

• Liked — massage
  • Disliked — noisy
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dana Point, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

This place is fairly simple. It's a nice location (close to home for us), and surprisingly quiet for it's proximity to the freeway. Inside the grounds is a few places to sit and enjoy the weather with a glass of wine or a snack, and a (heated, but not too much) swimming pool area.

What really makes this place is the management, there's a mini fridge in the rooms with a few bottles of water, juice, and a couple slices of cheesecake.... and it's all free! A welcome difference to the arm & leg charges of major hotel chains. There were also fresh roses and a couple chocolates waiting in the room.

We stayed for only a night, as a nice little getaway from real life and the friendly folks running the place had no problem letting us stay for hours after we checked out to lounge by the pool.

If you're looking for a nice, simple place with friendly people or privacy if you want it I'd certainly recommend Mission Inn. (Oh, and book straight through their website!! MissionInnSJC.com

• Liked — Friendly, down to earth management. Personal feel.
  • Disliked — Hot tub in the picture is now actually a flower bed
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2008

I stayed at Mission Inn last weekend. It's a charming conversion of a motel to a bed n' breakfast/in -- lovely gardens, each room different, nice touches (roses and chocolate in the room, cookies and sherry on check-in, simple but fresh breakfast buffet). If the management changed I'd stay there again in a heartbeat. When I checked in, the woman at the desk offered no real welcome, no info about how to get to my room, no smiling "we're glad to have you here". Ok...I checked that off to maybe someone having a bad day. Loved my room (#21) but when I noticed the inn's owner, Harold, in the garden by my room, he didn't smile or say hello or anything...just walked right by. What really frosted me was their "I could care less" attitude on Sunday when I checked out. On Saturday night I slipped in the shower and broke my leg. There was no "front desk" open or person I could call for assistance. I found a hospital on my laptop, managed to drag myself to my car (fortunately it was the left leg so I could drive), went to the emergency room, got xrays, painkillers, crutches, a brace and was released with some reluctance and the instructions to get to a hospital as soon as I flew home the next day. When I was struggling to get my luggage to my car the next morning, Harold, the owner, walked by without offering to help, asking what happened or anything. Another guest came to my assistance. When I checked out, I wanted to get a cup of coffee and a pastry to take with me and the woman at the desk (who was not busy) did not offer any help (I was struggling around on crutches). I had to practically spill coffee all over the floor trying to carry it before she sighed and reluctantly asked if I'd like her to carry that to my car (after making sure the car was about 10 feet away by the door). All in all, a most unpleasant experience. I'd not recommend Mission Inn to anyone, sad to say, given the people running the place. A big part of a "bed n' breakfast" experience is being in a friendly, welcoming environment. I've had warmer welcomes at Motel 6.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — very unfriendly, unaccommodating owners/managers
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2008

My husband and I checked in to the Mission Inn B&B in March of 08 to celebrate our anniversary.
First off, it's RIGHT on Ortega Hwy, so you have the sights, sounds, and smells of heavy traffic all day, all night. The lobby, or "parlor" as they call it, is tiny, tacky, and completely understaffed.

The room was completely misrepresented in the website. We paid over $200 a night for a small, cramped room. The bathroom was a closet and the actual closet was falling apart. The bed was old and very uncomfortable, the linens were thread-bare and the only table was an end table with two small chairs. The only thing that was nice about the room was the orange scent in the air.

The grounds were very "rough" looking and reminded me of a back-yard, far too homey for a B&B. The service was awful, the "innkeeper" was rude and very unfriendly. The "expanded European breakfast" was nothing more than a scone, yogurt, and coffee.
The coffee & tea set up was supposed to be avalible until the evening, it wasn't. I went out for a cup of tea around 4 pm, and the entire set up was gone!

There were no phones in the room, the shower curtain was faulty, the walls were thin.

The Mission Inn B&B was nothing more than a tacky motel with faux English country style furnishing and plastic lawn chairs scattered here and there.

Stay away from this "B&B", you're better off staying at the Best Western down the street!

• Liked — Checking out!
  • Disliked — The rude & extremely unfriendly "Innkeeper" Harold.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Mission Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!