“Great service, excellent rooms” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
San Francisco, California
“Great service, excellent rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I had read other reviews of the this hotel before staying. We were concerned about the front
desk customer service and timely room cleaning. We decided to stay anyway as most reviews
were positive. Laura at the front desk was superb. She was attentive to our needs and
made sure we had a great stay. Also Amy (a manager) was very accommodating. Rooms
were cleaned timely and well. The beds were very comfortable. We stayed on the freeway
side of the property and freeway noise was very muted and did not affect our sleep.

Only suggestion would be a poolside bar!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Amy F, Manager at Residence Inn San Juan Capistrano, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Hello! Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to post your comments about your recent stay. To hear from our guests how impressed they are with the staff is always encouraging. Laura has been with us from the beginning and has truly been a wonderful associate to have on the team. Your comments have been shared with Laura and the entire staff. We look forward to having you stay with us in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My first impression of this hotel was - you have to be kidding me. I (like another reviewer) chose this hotel because of my Marriott status. I get there at 2:00 in the afternoon and ask for a room with 2 beds - no they don't have one. Okay - how about a suite as I am Platinum - no, don't have that either. Out of frustration, I say - so my Platinum status is meaningless. The woman (who was NOT warm or friendly) then goes to the back and comes back. She continues to look at her computer and finally tells me they have a 2 bed suite but its not ready yet. I ask how long until it is? I was just looking for an estimate. That estimate took a good 20 minutes of my standing there and hanging out to get. I finally volunteered to go check the room myself at which point the woman did. She comes back and says 20 minutes. What an ordeal! But at least I had a room # - 343.

So I leave to go off and do other things and come back and check in - unfriendly front desk woman is gone and a gentleman checks me in. He was okay but did not offer me the choice of points or my platinum arrival gift. Which tells me that this hotel really isn't trained about how to check in Platinum members who stay here.

I go to my room and it is beautiful. The reason why my review got 4 stars. It really is a nice and convenient place to stay.

I then read the review on tripadvisor who identified a front desk person (Jennifer) as a robotic individual. Guess what - same person checked me in! Surprise surprise. When I go to check out, she is the one to check me out. She asks me how my stay was - I said fine but not in a glowing way. No follow up or anything from her. She gives the air that she couldn't care less and that she is too good to be there.

I go to breakfast and am telling my girlfriend about my experience and the gentleman (Anthony) working the breakfast area asks me if there is anything he can get me. I snidely say - a new front desk person. Seems he has "radar ears" and actually sensed something was wrong which is why he came up to me. He was great! Another reason the hotel got 4 stars from me instead of 3. He was proactive and actually cared about my stay - unlike the robot. I much appreciated and respected his concern.

So I would recommend this hotel - if you come in contact with the robot, its worth just sucking it up for the couple of minutes (or in my case 20+) for the beautiful rooms and the convenient hotel location.

Room Tip: The two room suites are very nicely laid out - I had #343 and while it faced the highway really enjo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Amy F, Manager at Residence Inn San Juan Capistrano, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your trip to San Juan Capistrano. I was sorry to hear you did not get the level of service befitting of your Platinum Elite Status. The Front Desk Clerk should have responded quickly to your request and taken care of the situation in a more timely fashion. I will be sharing your comments with my staff as well as reviewing the importance of focusing on positive and friendly service. It's through feedback such as yours that allows us the opportunity to improve on the service we provide. Thank you for your praises of Anthony. He is a wonderful associate and we are thankful to have him on our team. We hope to see you next time you are in San Juan Capistrano.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

I'm an avid Marriott supporter, but this is the best Residence Inn I have stayed at. It feels fairly new, with large suites, tastefully decorated, huge working desk with four plugs for gadgets. Yes!
The welcome was typically Marriott friendly, quick and easy. Don't like to be charged for parking, a minor annoyance, but the suite was paid by Marriott points so net cost was minimal.
Decor was appealing, restful to the eye, peaceful ....... EXCEPT .... Recommend you ask for a suite away from the train tracks, very noisy whistle blowing trains! Also, our suite was on the ground floor, with a path outside, so, after a noisy pass by some teenagers, we lowered the blinds. Shame to shut out the very limited view of the ocean.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Horrible customer service. Nowadays people have so many choices of where to stay when on vacation and most people want to be appreciated for being loyal to a brand. As a Marriott Rewards member, I had requested a quiet room and early check in. I called to let them know I would be arriving within the hour around 1pm. When I got there at 3pm, they said my room was not ready. The manager Jim said that he treats all his guests the same and Marriott members do not receive any special treatment. That was unexpected because I chose a Marriott hotel because of loyalty. The front desk girl, Jennifer, did not make any effort when I called in to have our room cleaned. Her robotic and unconcerned attitude was unacceptable.This really shocked me as not only did I not get to check in that much earlier (1 hour), they put me right next to the freeway although I had requested a quiet room. I could hear the train and cars all night. The manager acted annoyed that I had asked for an early check in and he said that all guests check in at 4 pm. This is my second time here and I will not be returning. Really need some guest service training at this Marriott.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Amy F, Manager at Residence Inn San Juan Capistrano, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for your candid remarks. While our goal is to provide an outstanding stay to every guest, we obviously missed the mark with you - and for that I am very sorry. Your comments are appreciated as we are always open to constructive feedback and I have already shared your comments with the hotel associates, to focus on positive and friendly service. Our staff at the hotel does their best to honor the many early check in and late check-out requests from all of our guests. Unfortunately we do face times when we are unable to honor all requests. We focus on preparing the rooms for arrivals so that it is ready for a new occupant and to meet specific desire of the room location. Please feel free to call me directly at the hotel should you have any additional comments or questions.
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I stayed here for 7 days in july. I was really happy. Great staff super clean and really nice. Its not Hawaii but its a great hotel. This hotel I think is brand new. I cant believe how clean this place is. I use to stay at the other hotels in san juan but will not do that anymore. I love clean places and those other places cant compare. Stay here trust me you will be happy. Great pricing, great staff and a really clean room. There are not many options in the area but this places is by far the best. The hotel staff was also really friendly

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Cornville, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

This hotel feels relatively new and modernly decorated, we had the standard 'Studio Suite' which is a pretty typical layout at most Residence Inn's. To me the title of 'Studio' infers something small and less that a typical suite, but our suite was spacious with a large fully functional kitchen and full size refrigerator. I guess it is a studio as it is open between the sitting area and the bedroom. My only complaint with the room is that the TV swivels back and forth between the bedroom and the sitting area, and really doesn't give a great view for either. There was also a very nice and well laid out work area. The breakfast is superior for an included buffet style, much better than most other hotels that offer this. The fitness room is also above standard and well equipped. Our only real complaint was the noise from the nearby train which is behind the hotel, but having stayed in hotels throughout this area, most have this problem. At least they don't run much after the late evening. On a plus for noise, even though close to busy I-5, the way the property is positioned seems to be out of range of most of this. We did not like the $12 parking fee, and for a hotel with a standard parking lot this does seem excessive and not the norm for this type of hotel. You are already paying a premium, but relatively standard high room rate in this area. You do get allot for that rate at this hotel, and we have already booked another stay. It is a great location and within walking distance of the beach or harbor.

Room Tip: Away from the pool area if you are on the first or second floor, and towards the middle gives the be...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, NV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I would of gave it a 5, however we had some problems. The first day after we got up, housekeeping knocked on door at 0730 ish, I related my kids were alseep, she said she'd come back. We went to beach, came back in the evening and nobody cleaned our room, someone entered it, but didn't clean it. All i wanted was towels, I assume she entered room, it looked spotless so she left without checking bathroom that had towels on the floor. Around 11PM night 2, my wife wakes up inquiring why it was pitch dark as we brought nite lights and fans to block out noise. I checked and Hotel lost power, it was pitch dark I couldn't see anything. Room got hot and stuffy, I opened the window the 4 inches I was able to. I called front desk who related whole block lost power. Around 130 AM my 2 year old son woke up screaming( we assume becuase it was pitch dark) jumped out of bed and took off running yelling "Mommy". He got about 10 feet and we heard a big boom followed by crying. he ran right into the corner of the table and hit right above his eye. Finally at around 4ish power came back and we all got about 3-4 hours of sleep. We went to beach again, came back and we noticed our room STILL HAD NOT been cleaned. Once again, I only cared about towels so I went to front desk who related they had issiues with some plubming or something so not everyone's room got serviced. I told them my room number, and they said it would get cleaned. After dinner we came back and finally room was cleaned.

We really like that a costco was to the right and an Albertson's food store was about a half a mile to the left. About 2 miles(maybe less to the beach. I partook in italian night and the meatballs were tasty, breakfast was a little above average hotel fare. We all used pool which is nice. I felt Doheany beach looked kind of seedy so we stayed away and went to Laguana Beach, Alsio beach or something like that which was nice.

Overall we really like the hotel but like I stated we had some issiues however I would def stay in the hotel again if I ever return to the area as it was clean and the employess were all friendly.

Room Tip: Bring a fan as there is a train that runs all day. We didn;t hear it, but then again we ALWAYS brin...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn San Juan Capistrano? Share your experiences!