“Clean, comfortable, great hotel for families and business trips” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Los Angeles
“Clean, comfortable, great hotel for families and business trips”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Rooms are spacious, work desk area is large and provides plenty of plugs for your many tech toys, bathrooms are spotless with an amazing shower and most importantly the bed and pillows are incredibly comfortable. Sure the common area is busy yet you can easily enjoy breakfast in your own room especially if you are a chef as the kitchen is well equipped for late night omelettes! If you are half way between OC and SD, this is the place to stay. Very convenient location and wonderful staff.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Finally--an extended stay hotel that is homey AND hip. Residence Inn has begun to re-envision its extended stay hotel (and this property, according to the staff, is one of the first). I got a bit of a Renaissance "boutique" vibe staying here. Furnishings are new and modern and attractive in the public spaces, in the dining area (that truly looks like "dining" instead of just early morning "dashing," as is often the case), and in the guest rooms. The finishes in the rooms (dark furniture, stainless appliances, granite) are attractive and inviting. The bedding is plush, and the mattresses were very comfortable--an important factor in an extended stay property. There was plenty of drawer space, eating space, and work space even in our studio room (although the bathroom/closet area was a bit tight). Of course, the room was clean, and we had no maintenance issues.

The pool was rather small, but the pool chairs were comfy and the ocean view was lovely. The sports court was in good condition. The covered courtyard tables provided a relaxing place to eat breakfast. The staff was casual and approachable, but competent. I liked their unobtrusive attitude because it fit the "home away from home" vibe of the property, but I can see how it would be important for them to move into a more proactive role if there were problems (such as the noise problems mentioned in another review). We heard no "party" noise from our corner room (#240) that overlooked the courtyard/pool area. (Maybe we were just lucky?) One possible noise concern--not guest related--is the nearby train track. We heard a lot of train whistles, even into the late night. (I'm more bothered by loud guests than by trains, though, so this noise didn't affect my 5-star rating.)

Note that this is a Level 5 Marriott, and room rates get a bit steep--I'm guessing because this is a pricey beach area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

After entering our room, we had to go back to the front desk because it had not been cleaned yet. The gentleman at the front desk was very nice and got us another room, however we were downgraded. We got our bigger room the next day and all was well. The staff was nice and the kids loved the pool area, it really felt like we were at a spa or something. Of course the hot breakfasts is always nice as well as the free BBQ and tacos on a couple of evenings.

The only downside is that it is pet friendly and close to the highway. As we were trying to eat breakfast some kid was letting his dog run around under our table as we ate, which was a bit of a turn off. There was also a lot of road noise from the busy street and highway right next door otherwise we would have given it a 5. Oh you also had to pay to park which I don't think was necessary.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
puget sound, wa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

The front desk staff was friendly and helpful, the hotel is in great shape and the room was clean and fresh. Breakfast was standard Residence Inn fare, although the breakfast room is rather cramped and undersized for the size of the property. The hotel is conveniently located, and offers peek ocean views to the rear of the property. Unfortunately, our stay was marred by the hotel's lack of control over its other guests in the common areas. Our room overlooked the back of the hotel where the pool and fire pit are located, and the first night, a large group of guests partied away on the back patio until well past 11:30pm. We figured that it was a Saturday night, and possibly just an isolated incident, but then another group was out back whooping it up until after midnight on Sunday, with no sign of management until we called to complain around 11:45pm. Why we needed to call at that hour is something I don't understand--it's a public space that should be supervised at least minimally on a regular basis BEFORE guests need to complain. There were also no rules posted governing small children in the spa. There were at least two non-toilet trained toddlers in the spa with their parents (not wearing swim diapers), and one child who appeared to be in the spa specifically to relieve himself. Yuck. Also, a dirty diaper was discarded in the landscaping surrounding the pool, which did not add to the atmosphere either. I politely informed staff of the diaper (as well as the lack of clean towels), but I feel as if there needs to be a bit more control exerted over the hotel's public spaces.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

The hotel must be fairly new, the property/rooms are very nice and accommodating. It was a great place to stay for a family visit, 35(+/-) minutes from Disneyland and 35(+/-) minutes from Lego-land. You can see Costco from the property so that is nice for less expensive gas and a quick cheap bite to eat. Albertsons (grocery store) right up the street. Beach was 5 minutes away. With a family you should go to "baby beach" as the nice locals had recommended to us. Pool was small, but no big deal it was not crowded and if you need more room the ocean is right down the street. The staff was great! Breakfast staff was all very friendly as well as the housekeepers and Front Desk staff.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

This was my first stay at a Residence Inn and I did not have high expectations. I was pleasantly surprised at how new and clean the RI SJC is. My room was a studio with a King bed and was quite spacious for my three day stay. The gym is small, but well equiped. I noticed a family with a dog at the firepit, and the manager told me that any size dogs are allowed. That makes like a mandatory stop for my family and our 60 lb 'puppy'.

While there is nothing in walking distance, the restaurants in San Juan Capistrano are only a 5 min drive. And the cafes and shopping areas on Avenida Del Mar in San Clemente are only 10 mins by freeway. I drove 3 min down the road to Doheny Beach for a run at sunset. Very central to everything.

If you are visiting the Meggitt offices in SJC, the RI shuttle will take you there and pick you up.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite facing the pool. Otherwise you look at the freeway or car dealership.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Alta Loma, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I have not stayed at a residence inn in many years as in the past I was not very impressed. Being that it is owned by Marriott I was willing to give it another try. I was really impressed by how nice this hotel was!! The front desk staff was very nice. When I book my room with Marriott I always ask for a feather free room. When we got to our room the pillows were not feather free even though they got us the feather free pillows I still woke up with red swollen eyes. I guess I need to just travel with my own pillow! The bed was very comfortable! The kitchen and dining room area were adorable! It was clean and comfortable! The free breakfast was perfect- lots of choices! I would stay here again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Residence Inn San Juan Capistrano? Share your experiences!