“Great Property!” 5 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points!
Redlands, California
“Great Property!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We stayed here for a soccer tournament weekend and really enjoyed the property. Front desk staff was friendly. There was a shuttle that provided transportation within a 5 mile radius. Nice location, close to San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Doheny Beach.

Pool area was a little small but there was a firepit, putting green, basketball court, a jacuzzi - everything you would expect at a Residence inn. Yes, the $12 parking fee was very annoying,

Comfy bed.

Breakfast was standard RI fare.

We faced the street, had a view of the car dealer across the street, but didn't hear any noise.

Would definitely stay here again if we return to the area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Really enjoyed our stay here. Very good breakfast and they even serve dinner three nights a week to their guests. How often do you see a staff member serve birthday cake for one of the extended stay guest with a big smile on her face ?? We only stayed two night at this location however I wish we could have stayed there the other 3 nights because it was far above the other hotel.

If we ever get another chance to stay here --- we will !

Room Tip: I think the higher rooms offered a much better view. (You can see the ocean from certain areas )
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Brea, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

We wanted our kids to do a grunion run at Doheny State Beach so we booked a room at this hotel using points. It was a wonderful stay. The hotel is new so it is sparkling and very clean. I loved the decor. The location was near enough to the beach, but not walking distance. There aren't many choices for food nearby that we could find. We were craving Japanese, but couldn't find one near enough to the hotel. We ended up having Chinese food, which was just okay. There is a Costco right next door. I'm sure it is walkable, but I decided to drive there. We bought a lunch of hot dogs and pizza from there and brought it back to the pool.

The pool area is small, but nice and clean. Again, since everything is brand new, the whole area looked nice. My husband asked for a few golf balls and a putter as they have a cute putting green there. Since it is a Residence Inn, the hotel and outdoor area have a very homey feeling. It's like being in your friend's backyard - really nice backyard. They also had a firepit with chairs around it. Nice, but we didn't use it. The ocean view is really far off, but oddly the beach is not that far of a drive. Just a few minutes - like a mile and a half or so. The area around the hotel isn't so great, but when you're in the hotel, it feels relaxing and comfortable.

The free breakfast was standard Residence Inn, always a treat (but not as nice as Embassy Suites' omelet station - but then again, ES doesn't provide weekly dinners like RI either).

I don't know if it is because the hotel just opened, but the girl at the front desk didn't seem to know much. She had a thick Eastern European accent, which was difficult for me to understand at times, and she did not smile once. I asked her a couple of questions, which she did not know the answers to, which I felt should have been standard such as, "How far is the beach?" Later, a lady who I think is the manager came out and she was very friendly and seemed to know much more.

Because we used points, we were given a "studio," but it was still quite large. I had bought some pizza rolls for my kids to munch on, but couldn't find the oven. I called the front desk to ask where the oven was. The girls said it was in the kitchen. I asked if it was disguised or hidden somewhere. She said no. I could not find the oven. The girl said every room has an oven so it's there somewhere. I asked them to send someone to the room to show me. A minute later, a male called the room and said that studios do not have ovens. Oh - okay. No big deal, but I thought I was going crazy not being able to find the oven in such a small kitchen.

Overall, I will stay at this hotel again because it's comfy and clean. BTW, we didn't see any grunion that night. :(

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Pro's - new property, nice housekeeping staff
Con's - upon check-in, met by "Laura" - gee, bad atitude for someone in the "hospitality" business.. Short, curt, not at all friendly. Was given a room facing Stonehill, a busy/ noisy street. Upon entering the room, went to freshen up and discovered the toilet was clogged. Called to the front desk to ask for it to be repaired, "Laura" said that if they couldn't fix it, that there were few options as they were full. I explained to her that I was not asking to be moved...snotty attitude.
Spent the first night in the room, figured out the following day that one of the reasons it was so noisy is that the windows did not fuly close/ seal. Faulty installation. Asked to be moved and got a first floor room facing the freeway. Suprisingly much quieter.
Kudos to the housekeeping staff. During the move, forgot a cell pone charger. They brought it to us. Asked for additional soap. tissues, no problem.
$12.00 for parking - really guys?
Overall - nice property, but probably won't stay here again. Overpriced and don't need the attitude.
Too Bad

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the pool
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Overland Park, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Just know that, despite what your map may show, this hotel is truly not that close to almost anything. On the flip side, It's not terribly far either from some wonderful communities. The morning breakfast buffet is about what you'd expect "par" for most properties around this price.
$12.00/day is not par for self-service parking, however, and I don't think it's a fair deal given the already substantial price tag of the rooms.
The room was very quiet, and the bathroom had a great, decent size shower. It's a good property, but it's better if you know everything you'll be paying for. Costco is right next door if you need some decent gas prices, but if you're going up toward Disney, the gas was a fair amount cheaper in Orange County.

Room Tip: One side gets you the freeway, one side gets you a train that blows it's horn every hour or sost...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

This is a very new property - I believe it opened in early 2012 - so everything is new and clean. There is small pool and recreation area with ocean view and an outside lounge area including a firepit. The staff was friendly and efficient.

Knowing that this property was right on the 5 Freeway I requested a room that faced away from the freeway and the busy local road on the other side but it was hard to avoid noise. It wasn't too bad but I can't imagine there is a truly 'quiet' room given the location.

Surprisingly, there is a $12 charge for parking!! This property is not on the beach or even within walking distance. It is in an industrial/commercial area but not a metro area where parking is at a premium. So, this is basically a way of charging a guest $12 more without that price showing up on the internet search engines. There is really no reason for charging for parking at a property like this.

I was also surprised at the very poor quality of the bedding. $200/night for cotton/poly blend sheets? Most hotel chains' lower end properties are now offering good quality linens these days and this isn't a lower end property or brand. If I was going to do an extended stay here I'd bring my own sheets - seriously.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Indiana, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

This is a brand-new hotel and it is a real nice, bright, very clean location and I would return with only minor hesitation! Having stayed in a number of Residence Inns, I found this to be among my best stays within the brand. But it can get better. The wireless Internet connectivity is spotty, the breakfast constantly runs out of necessities like tea bags, plates, etc., and there are some similar small issues. The staff is also new and could use some seasonsing in terms of becoming familiar with the area. I wasn't crazy about a $12/day parking fee - this is out on its own and not in a city setting where parking is at a premium. In fact, it is the first parking charge like this I have received in a small-town setting.

Finally, this hotel is out by itself just off the interstate. You must drive for everything.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn San Juan Capistrano? Share your experiences!