“This is a motel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Garden San Jose Airport

You added Wyndham Garden San Jose Airport to your Saves list
Wyndham Garden San Jose Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1355 North 4th Street, San Jose, CA 95112 (Formerly Silicon Valley Hotel San Jose Airport)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #46 of 73 Hotels in San Jose
Toronto, Canada
“This is a motel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

First off, I was only staying for an evening. If you need a bed to sleep on for a few hours, it's just fine. Shuttle back and forth to airport every 30 minutes. Cramped room, but no real complaints. Wireless is available in the room (unlike what another reviewer suggested), but the complimentary breakfast is no more (as of June of this year, according to the sign on the front desk). Also, as another reviewer noted, this is a motel, not a hotel. That is to say, the rooms are facing outwards with no interior hallway. In other words, easily accessible to public. This wasn't a big deal for me, but I could see it being an issue for others.

One other oddity is that the light switches were all motion sensitive. In other words, if you left the bathroom light on, after a few minutes, it would automatically switch off. Nice for environmentalists. However, the switch that controlled the power on the desk uses the same mechanism. Which means that, if you're using a laptop that is plugged in, you need to wave your hand ever few minutes to keep the juice flowing. And if you need to charge your phone/laptop overnight, make sure you select an outlet that is *not* controlled with a sensor.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Is it no longer a Clarion? When did this happen?
Well I stayed here for a event they hosted the participants for. It was a musical event so the hotel really went out of their way to be accommodating, pianos in all the meeting rooms and such.
The hotel is in motel format, 2 floors with rooms on the outside. However what the hotel had to offer was way more then motel fare.
The breakfast was plentiful, a nice hot tub, and even a putting green. There was something that looked like a cocktail bar in the courtyard, yet I was not sure what it was, or if it was working.
The pool was large enough for a water volleyball game, and the courtyard actually was quite tropical. There was a gate to get in, and the crowd seemed under control, though one late night I fund a lounge chair dead set under water in the center of the pool.
The front desk and lobby was a bit of a zoo but they did their best helping people check out and shuttle them to the airport, it seemed every guest was there for the event in downtown San Jose.
The room was a bit small, but in a cozy way. Well kept, no sign of age and clean. Only problem I had was with housekeeping, who did not speak a word of english (really, not a word, not hello or goodbye) and all situations involving them was like a that housekeeper on that show the family guy.
Hotel is very close to the Gish Street station, which is about a 10 min light rail ride to downtown.
Recommended!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

It's says that they offer free breakfast and wireless Internet, but they don't! The wireless is only in the lobby and you have to pay $10 for a breakfast voucher. It says in their welcome book they offer complimentary hot breakfast buffet! They lie! I never leave bad reviews, but this is ridiculous. I visited for business and couldn't get any work done in room. Won't ever stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012
Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We checked in after a long flight from Hawaii. It was just for the night but I wanted something comfortable. We were totally dissatisfied. It was a cramped, dirty and outdated room. It was a motel room. We spilled a liquid on the carpet and used a towel to clean it up. The towel was black when we finished cleaning up the spilled milk. That is how dirty the carpet is.

Room Tip: Don't stay there
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
San Jose, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

The poolside area is what sold us (High School Reunion) on staying at the Clarion. The rooms were nice, but one thing we learned if you are planning ahead and sales people tell you, "Oh yes, we can do that for you" well you better get it all in writing because they do not. Especially when they are changing hands from one hotel name to the next. We were also told we could have all our rooms together (that did not happen) we were told we would have complimentary breakfast vouchers for those staying in hotel (that did not happen either). So a few tips if you are organizing a group stay.
On the bright side of things we did have a great time at the poolside area and the hotel was very accommodating allowing us to decorate and bring a few things for our outside party.
Restaurant: I had dinner there on one of the nights and it was good. Some of the ladies the following morning ate breakfast at restaurant and said the eggs were dry and not the best tasting for the price.
The bar may have been training a new person on our party night because it took this lady forever to make 5 drinks and there was no one else in the room. We had to remind her several times what we wanted. Earlier that evening, however, there was a different person bar tending and he did a great job and was fast.
Overall Rating: The beds were comfortable, had coffee maker (didn't use though), fridge in TV cabinet froze the food, my sister didn't like the fact that the windows do not open (only A/C), the place was clean, and the exterior was in very nice shape and clean and the personnel were friendly and helpful. So give them about 3 or 4 rating. Just have to make sure information given to you is in writing otherwise it may not happen.

Room Tip: Windows do not open, only a/c. Inside rooms have nicer view than parking lot side
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
cambridge
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

This hotel is closer enough to the airport with shuttle service from the airport to hotel. Generally speaking room is fine, the swimming pool is fine but can be better. didn't try spa, but looked fine. breakfast is ok. didn't try lunch or dinner, but I think it's probably ok to good. The price is just a little bit higher. The holiday inn is just right across the street (4th st). so, check it out as well. If you are thinking to have a family trip in SJC, probably you might want to look into some other hotels as well.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Let me start by saying that I've traveled extensively throughout the US, parts of Asia and Latin America and never once have I dreaded my stay at a hotel as much as I did while at the Clarion San Jose! At first, I was actually quite impressed by the cleanliness of our room, but to my surprise as my friends and I were talking, a HUGE COCKROACH climbed up the wall from the door! My friend grabbed a shoe and was able to kill it pretty quickly. I was certainly hoping I wouldn't see another one, but as the night went on, I saw another crawling along the bed skirt of my friends' bed!! We weren't able to catch it in time, so I had to try to fall asleep hoping it wouldn't crawl onto the bed. I called the front desk and they advised me that they would talk to management, but unapologetically said they couldn't offer us another room because they were fully booked. I'm sorry Clarion, but you have lost my patronage for good. Definitely NOT RECOMMENDED!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Wyndham Garden San Jose Airport? Share your experiences!