“Very nice hotel in a slightly seedy area” 3 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #21 of 74 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersBronze level
Columbus, Ohio
“Very nice hotel in a slightly seedy area”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

It has recently been renovated and I thought it was very nice. The staff was very nice and accommodating. My problem was there are no adjacent restaurants. The closest restaurant is a Denny's about 1 1/2 blocks away. In that short walk in the late afternoon, I saw drugs being sold and heard very loud arguments from an apartment complex. My flight left early the next morning before their breakfast opened at 6:30 AM. I wanted something substantial because of a long day flying. I did not feel safe walking this route in the dark. Fortunately the room had a microwave and refrigerator with a tiny freezer. I bought frozen breakfast items at a 7-11 and combined with the in-room coffee for a filling breakfast. The shuttle driver called off sick so the hotel paid for a cab, much to my appreciation. If I have a similar need in the future, I'll probably go for the Holiday Inn (provided they offer a shuttle) as it's next door to the Denny's.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Charles H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Jose International Arpt, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you very much for staying with us here at the Holiday Inn Express San Jose International Airport. We are glad that everything went well with your stay and that we were able to provide good service. Next time you do stay with us and have an early flight, when you schedule the shuttle ride, also let the front desk know that you would like a breakfast bag and they will prepare one for you to go.

We do hope that the next time you are in the San Jose area, you do come can stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We had a great stay in a King Suite with a king size bed and sleeper sofa. It was nice & clean. It had a kitchenette and a large bathroom, as well. Nice breakfast in the AM, pretty typical of Holiday Inn Express It is close to downtown San Jose, the airport, and California's Great America. We had a change to the reservation with four of us in the room instead of one and the hotel staff was quite accommodating. My family joined my friend that had already booked the room and stays at Holiday Inn Express locations quite often. We didn't think we would be able to make the drive to meet up with him, but I ended up leaving work earlier than expected. The hotel seemed a little larger than most and had a sprawling lay out to it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Charles H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Jose International Arpt, responded to this review, July 15, 2014

Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

The industrial garages nearby put me off a bit at first, but once I got used to the neighborhood, I was fine. The place is small but adequate, the staff pleasant and accommodating. The pool is small and clean with a nice but way too tepid hot tub spa. Turn it up a few degrees, please. 3 blocks west is the light rail line on 1st St. For fun I rode the streetcar, I mean light rail line, downtown for lunch at a street cafe, and back. I enjoyed my stay here. Would have stayed another day but rates magically mysteriously changed so I moved on.

Stayed July 2014

san diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Arrived a day early for a family gathering and just needed a place to stay for the night. I found this property on tripadvisor and figured it was perfect for what I needed. Close to Japantown and downtown, yet far away from any tourist area. Since I am an IHG member, I was given an upgrade, which I appreciated.

Really great room with a small ktichenette. Large bathroom and nice desk set-up. The bed was comfortable and it was a welcomed place to sleep when I returned for the night. The breakfast room was large and had some ample offerings. I just grabbed what I needed and brought it all up to the room. The only thing negative thing I can say was when a housekeeper tried to enter my room. Luckily I had the secure lock on or she would've walked in on me changing. She meant to go to the room next door, but it was no biggie, just startled me.

I don't make it up this way as often as before, but I would definitely stay here again. Especially since all the downtown hotels charge so much for the rooms and the parking.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Charles H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Jose International Arpt, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you very much for staying with us here at the Holiday Inn Express San Jose International Airport. We are glad that everything went well with your stay and that we were able to provide good service. We will work with our housekeeping staff on the issue that you mentioned.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

This hotel really impressed me. The staff and the rooms are very nice. The rooms are very well appointed. Would definitely stay here on my next visit to San Jose. The value for the price was superb. By mistake I stopped at the Holiday Inn (not Express) around the corner and although the other facility was much bigger, the staff was not as nice and friendly.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Charles H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Jose International Arpt, responded to this review, June 16, 2014

Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

I recently booked six rooms for myself and my employees who were coming into the states from outside the country. A few days later I received a phone call from Tony Hill, the hotel manager. He was checking to see if we needed anything further than the reservation. I asked him a few questions and he was very helpful. He told us we could ask for him if we had any further questions. He really went above and beyond what you would expect from a manager.

The property was perfect for our business travel. The breakfast was hot, the pool was sparkling clean, the beds were comfortable and the WiFi was fast. The staff was friendly with our out of the country guests. Everything went smoothly. Our company will be staying here every time we visit the area. I would highly suggest this hotel when visiting Silicon Valley.

Thank you for making the stay happily memorable. See you next year.

Room Tip: Each room was equally quiet.
Green Features: IHG hotels are ahead of the competition in their green practices.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Charles H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Jose International Arpt, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express San Jose Airport. Your business and satisfaction is very important to us. We do hope that the next time you are in San Jose that you do stay with us again.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Pros: very comfortable, soft beds, free breakfast including items I like such as soy milk (1 of the 3 days) bagels, peanut butter, cereals, several vegan options. Close to the light rail train to downtown. Adequate gym including 2 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, a bike and a weight machine. Pool and sauna, lots of free parking. Good water pressure in shower.
Cons: rooms are not too attractive. My favorite cable TV station was available, but no signal for most of the time I was watching. Building is a confusing labyrinth, but there are signs to direct you to lobby, etc. not too much in the immediate area.
I can't comment on the value as my organization booked it, I don't know what the rate was.

Green Features: I'd like to see less plastic and paper at breakfast. Maybe real dishes and silverware.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Charles H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Jose International Arpt, responded to this review, March 10, 2014

Been to Holiday Inn Express San Jose International Arpt? Share your experiences!