“Pleasant Suprise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 72 hotels in San Jose
Slater, Iowa
“Pleasant Suprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

I am very satisfied with my stay.....the room was very clean (important to me) and organized, staff was very friendly and professional, and the grounds were well cared for and tidy. The room has a microwave, fridge, flat screen TV. I have priority gold status with Holiday Inn, and they had my welcome snacks, fresh cookies, and a newspaper nicely presented within my room, and I even had chilled bottles of water in my fridge, and a fresh bucket of ice waiting in the freezer! This is in addition to a compliamentary upgrade to a suite. Overall, the very best treatment I've gotten at any Holiday Inn, bar none. I will definitely consider this location during my next trip through San Jose.

Note - This location is directly below the flight path for the airport and 6 miles away from it - some may consider this a plus, as you can watch the jets as they line up for landing - others may not like the noise (not intrusive, but obvious). Myself, I do not mind it at all.

Room Tip: Room 101 (end suite) is very quiet - it's on the very end of the motel, so it gets very little t...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

81 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Brighton, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

We stayed here for one night whilst driving PCH, mainly due to the proximity of the hotel to Gilroy oultets.
This hotel is an old style motel I guess which has been taken over by HI Express. The room was very large, it was clean and everything worked ok. We only really wanted it to sleep in, we arrived late in the evening and left straight after breakfast the next day.
I would say it was perfectly adequate for a short stay. There is plenty of parking available. We were in a room on the ground floor but I'm not sure there is an elevator so carrying suitcases up to a top floor room would be a pain.
The only negative comment is that we could hear the people in the room next to us talking, but after a 10 hour flight it didn't keep us awake!
Breakfast was the usual HIE fare (except for the non-functioning pancake machine, boo!), there aren't many seats available in the breakfast area but that wasn't a problem when we were there.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Santa Barbara, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Hotel is OK but I found the pillows to be hard and small,oddly half sized,not conducive to good sleep..Also they have installed flourescent lightbulbs in the rooms.Yes they are saving some money(being green) but I really don't like that kind of light especially for a bedside lamp.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

The room was spotlessly clean, clean, clean and updated with new furnishings and linens. There were plenty of lights (incl extra lights in the ceiling above each bed) and a mini-fridge and microwave. The service was excellent - we were given a welcome amenity upon arrival (snacks, newspaper, water) and then fresh cookies were delivered to our room shortly thereafter. Everyone we met (check-in, maids, breakfast area help, etc.) was very nice and helpful.

This appears to be an older motel that's been completely modernized. The grounds were lovely, with nice landscaping and flowers everywhere. The small pool area was also lovely, with nice chairs w/ big cushions, mosaic tiles in the pool, and more flowering plants. We walked around the area after dinner, and it's in a safe neighborhood (quiet) and very convenient to the airport.

You can tell that they pay attention to details here, both in how they maintain the property and how they treat the guests. We would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Indian in london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

We stayed here one night while driving down from SF to LA this August.
We wanted to visit the great mall at Milpitas and also Gilroy mall. This is a fresh looking, motel type hotel. The rooms are comfortable and amenities are good. We had 2 Queen beds for a family of 4 and these wre sufficient.There is a small swimming pool. The parking is free. The breakfast is bear the reception. It can get crowded in the morning and the selection is basic but one can't expect more. The staff were polite and helpful.

Room Tip: If you are a non smoker, make sure you are not near the designated smoking area on the ground floor...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

Last week our friends and family had stayed at the Holiday Inn Express from 8/24-8/26 and we left the hotel on Saturday morning. By Sunday, I realized we left a brandnew men shoes in room 229, I called back and spoked to a female at the front desk; she promissed to check and will call me back in half hour later but never heard from her, until late afternoon, I called again, she said she found the shoes, she tried to call me but was wrong number, turned out she wrote my phone number wrong. She asked me to call back in the morning between 7am to 12noon to speak to a mail man. The next day (Monday) I called back and was transferred to a man (not a mail man); he said he would write down my credit card information and give to FedEx. He could not tell me the rate of shipping fee. He said " FedEx might charge you more or less than your shoes". I am truly not happy with the customer service at all. I am sure there is certain flat rate for shipping. Nobody would give out their credit card information if they don't know how much they could be charged. I think customer service needs to be improved.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Redding, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

This hotel was great! The dining area was small when we had breakfast in the morning, but there was plenty of food to go around, and the staff was really on top of it. We took advantage of the hot tub & pool at night, both of which were nice & clean. The only thing that was misleading was the roll-away bed option. We were told that it cost an extra $20, even though the site we used listed it with the rest of the free accommodations. Otherwise, the beds and bathrooms were great and all 5 of us that went were very satisfied.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn Express San Jose Central City? Share your experiences!