“Good Hotel: Lacks Warmth” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and save 20%
Ranked #15 of 71 Hotels in San Jose
“Good Hotel: Lacks Warmth”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

The San Jose Hilton is a reasonably attractive hotel for those going to the San Jose Convention Center. While the facilities are fine and everything is very clean, the place sort of left me cold. Perhaps it is meant to be a high-tech vibe, but the room and the overall hotel itself lacks any degree of warmth -- there is nothing wrong with it: service was fine, staff was friendly, everything was clean, the restaurant served a good lunch at a reasonable price -- it's just that after a long flight, I expected a more welcoming atmosphere. The hotel feels like a conference room.

So if you're just passing through for a conference, it's a good choice. But it doesn't feel to any degree "homey". My own bias; but that's my opinion.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Catherine H, Director of Sales at Hilton San Jose, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that time you took to share your thoughts. The task of delivering the best product and service to each guest that chooses to stay with us is one which our entire team takes very seriously.

We hope that we can host your stay again when you are in San Jose in the future. Our hospitable team members are here to make you feel at home. We welcome any suggestions on how we can make your stay more memorable.

Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Sandy, UT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Connected to the SJO convention center makes this a great place to stay for events at that facility. Rooms were decent sized and very clean. Beds were ok. The showers had plenty of water pressure. The pool is tiny and the hot tub hardly fits more than a couple people. Not a great family destination but perfect for conventions in the area. Did not have any issues with the WiFi in the rooms and the TVs had good quality HD channels. Had really good towels - better than a lot of hotels I've been in lately. Nothing really fancy about the property but was very satisfied.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Catherine H, Director of Sales at Hilton San Jose, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Hilton San Jose. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to hosting your stay again in the future.

Hilton San Jose Team
Bloomington, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I like the Fairmont San Jose a lot but my client had a special rate at the Hilton which was about half of what it'd cost to stay at the Fairmont so I decided to give the Hilton a shot, especially since I generally stay at Hiltons in other cities. I booked the cheapest King room (as usual) and was upgraded to an Executive room, which is always nice. The hotel is pretty much a bog standard business hotel: unremarkable lobby, executive lounge and unoffensive room decor. It's pretty much what you'd imagine from a Hilton attached to a convention centre, which isn't great but it's certainly more than I could say about some other Hiltons out there.

For some reason, when I was there the hotel was shockingly empty most of the time. Perhaps it was because there was nothing going on in the convention centre or elsewhere in the city that day. I hung out in the executive lounge for about an hour and it was largely empty as well, which suited me fine. The main reason I rated this hotel 3/5 was mainly because it was so forgettable. Only negative thing during my stay was that I asked for matches at the front desk (most hotels stock matches, right?) and they said they ran out and weren't particularly helpful on directing me to a convenience store or other place where I could buy some. Another minor qualm I had is that it's not easy to find your way into the parking garage from the hotel, but that's largely because the size of the empty convention centre can be a bit disorienting.

Of course, this is a business hotel first. I still do prefer the Fairmont, but if a client requested/offered or if I was short on Hilton stays on the year, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again next time I'm in San Jose.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hello,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about our hotel, Hilton San Jose. The feedback we receive from our guests is truly invaluable and assists us in ensuring constant improvement of the product and service we deliver. Our goal is to make certain each guest experience is unparalleled. We will ensure that we address the concerns with our team members.

We hope that we have another opportunity to host your stay when you're in San Jose.

Thank you.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Nice room, sleek design, love the type writer close up art. Easy access via sky bridge to all convention center areas and to Marriott also connected. Unfortunately, a volley ball tournament blocked off all public access walk ways on 2nd floor, making us with luggage have to go down one floor then across then up....
WiFi was too expensive, $10/day, so I did with out internet.
When I asked for new remote batteries and extra blankets, the front desk person just brushed it all aside and basically said no.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Cawyn,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our team. The feedback we receive from our guests is truly invaluable and assists us in ensuring constant improvement of the product and service we deliver. Our goal is to make certain each guest experience is unparalleled.

We hope that you give us another opportunity to host your stay when you are in San Jose.

Catherine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

If you want a clean hotel in the convention center area, stay away from the Hilton. Our first room we had to check out of because there was poop smeared on the wall. The manager moved us to another room where there was blood all over. Needless to say, we checked out and went to the St. Claire.....their rooms and staff were amazing!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
SanJoseHiltonTEAM, Manager at Hilton San Jose, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to notify our hotel about your experience. The task of delivering the best product and service to each guest that chooses to stay with us is one which our entire team takes very seriously. Clearly we failed in this instance and we hope you will consider allowing us the opportunity to right this wrong. If you would like to discuss further, please email me at leigh.holloway@sanjosehilton.com.

Again, thank you for your time. I hope to have the chance to speak with you further.

Leigh Holloway
Director of Revenue
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed here for the sole purpose of watching the "How to Train a Dragon" live. It is a short walking distance. The hotel is clean but I didn't expect that the Executive room looks so standard. I guess the only perk of getting this upgraded room is the free Internet and breakfast. It was not noted when I booked that their Executive Lounge is under construction. They simply gave me a voucher that I can use in their restaurant (free breakfast and drinks, and 1 appetizer). You might want to call them first if their Executive Lounge is ready prior to upgrading. It was an average stay. In all, if I were to go back, I probably will choose the standard guest rooms and eat at nearby restaurant for variation. Again, I think the only difference between the Executive suites and the standard room is the Executive Lounge access. If I knew that, I would have chosen the regular room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
SanJoseHiltonTEAM, Manager at Hilton San Jose, responded to this review, January 2, 2013

We apologize for the inconvenience of our Executive Lounge having been under construction during your stay. The Lounge is no longer under construction and was closed in order to complete several upgrades for the enjoyment of future guests. We hope you will choose our hotel each time travel brings you to San Jose.

Thank you again for taking time to let us know your thoughts.

The Hilton San Jose Team
408.287.2100
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Stayed here for a cheer competition with my wife and daughter. Location is great, walking distance to downtown restaurants (McCormick & Schmick's, Joe's Italian, The Grill, etc). If you're driving, you can daytrip to SF or nearby Palo Alto (Stanford University, silicon valley companies like Facebook are near there). Also convenient to train station if you need to hop a train to S.F. or anywhere else. Rooms were nice enough, flat screen, window cracks open for fresh air which is nice, wasn't noisy at night despite all the cheerleaders. The room could've been cleaned a little better (a couple of stray hairs here and there) but the ladies work hard. I wouldn't recommend the lobby bar/restaurant except for a cocktail maybe. It's expensive for mediocre to bad food (chips were stale, pasta just ok). If you walk through the convention center it's also connected to the Marriott where there's also a bar/lounge that has great food (mini club sandwich with fries is phenomenal). Marriott also has a small convenience store, which Hilton does not, and they serve Starbucks coffee. If it's a weeked be sure to get reservations ahead of time at any of the aforementioned restaurants downtown, as it gets quite crowded. This time of year there's a Christmas in the Park a block away but it was crowded with somewhat seedy people and someone was stabbed there in a "gang incident" so be wary. Hard to drive anywhere on weekend nights also due to traffic issues. Overall a pleasant stay, staff was nice, and it's a convenient location for a reasonable price.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
SanJoseHiltonTEAM, Manager at Hilton San Jose, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Guest of the Hilton San Jose,

We truly value your feedback and very much appreciate your taking the time to tell us about your experience at our hotel. Comments like yours help us ensure we provide each guest with unparalleled service and a memorable experience.

We hope you will choose the Hilton San Jose each time travel brings you to the city.

Leigh Holloway
San Jose Hilton Team

leigh.holloway@sanjosehilton.com

Been to Hilton San Jose? Share your experiences!