“Back to the Doubletree” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn San Jose-Airport

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn San Jose-Airport to your Saves list
Holiday Inn San Jose-Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1350 North First Street, San Jose, CA 95112 (Formerly Wyndham Hotel San Jose)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #28 of 71 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
Livermore, California
“Back to the Doubletree”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Normally stay at the Doubletree, but they were booked. We like the Park and Fly packages. Holiday Inn offered one, so we thought we'd try it. There was a conference going on and I think the staff was distracted. Checking in I was told only double beds were available. This was not acceptable since I had booked my king room 2 months in advance. Desk clerk checked with manager and my request was honored.
A/C in room only worked in the daytime hours. I had to keep getting up during the night and crank it up to get it to come on.
Bed was comfortable and room was clean.
Restaurant was good. Service at the bar was OK.
Upon returning from our trip when I called the hotel for a shuttle I was told it was not available and to take a cab. They did reimburse me for the cab fare.
I think more attention to customer service is needed at this establishment. We will probably not return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GHageman, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose-Airport, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I appreciate you taking the time to advise us of your stay at the Holiday Inn San Jose Airport. While it appears that there were some positive aspects of your stay, it also appears that more attention is needed on customer service and staffing levels during a busy occupancy period. I apologize for the distractions and rest assured we are capable of providing a much higher level of service. As our shuttle service does end at certain time at night, we do utilize cabs for any remaining arriving guests. However, as you mentioned we do pay the fare. I do understand that there are other nice hotels in the area and that you have choices when you travel. I do hope that you might reconsider using the Holiday Inn in the future and you are welcome to reach out to me for any assistance with your stay. Thank you for your business.
Gary Hageman / General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Laguna Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This was basically the only decent hotel left during my recent business trip to San Jose, and the only room available was a 'suite'.

--The neighborhood surrounding the hotel is not great. Not too bad, but next to the freeway and not great.
--Check-in was fine, the hotel looked to be recently renovated, but the room was pretty basic. Since it was a 'suite', it was large but it was basically a huge room with a bedroom off to the side. It looked like they tried to update it, but didn't really follow through.
--The furniture in the living space was sparse, and placed haphazardly for the size of the room. It looked like someone tried to decorate, but the space was just too big so they gave up.
--I tried to use the coffee maker, but old discolored water started dripping out of it so I skipped it.
--The bedroom was fine except the bed was not very comfortable.
--The bathroom was not cleaned very well, as there were a few random hairs in the shower/tub combination, which pretty much ruins a hotel stay. The shower was inside the oval shaped jetted tub, so it was awkward getting into it.. Also, the jets looked dirty (what hotel renovates and doesn’t replace an 80s-style jetted tub?). The plumbing by the shower head and the spigot was coming out of the wall (see photo). There's no excuse for this kind of disrepair at any hotel, let alone a higher cost 'suite' at a Holiday Inn (a brand that markets itself as mid-range hotel option).

This hotel is fine to crash for one night, and maybe some of the other renovated rooms have a better layout and a nicer bathroom, but I won't stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. Your feedback is very important to us and we appreciate your constructive comments. I was disappointed that you did not find the suite to your liking. This suite recently received a complete renovation and is in keeping with the decor style of our other renovated guestrooms. Response to date has been quite favorable. I apologize for the housekeeping and maintenance issues you mentioned and rest assured these received our immediate attention. While I completely understand that you have many other choices when it comes to hotel selection in our area, I hope that you might reconsider using the Holiday Inn San Jose Airport again. Thank you for your business.
Plumas Lake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

First of all, I travel frequently and when going to San Jose I always book at the Holiday Inn San Jose- Airport. I am always greeted by pleasant staff who efficiently finds me a room that fits my needs. I am always happy with the room in size and especially cleanliness which is VERY important to me. Many times I have eaten breakfast buffet and I awlays like the idea of having the option to order from the menu as well. Either way I was always happy with the food. All in all I enjoy staying at your Holiday Inn and will continue to do so as well as tell my friends.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We truly appreciate you taking the time to advise us about your stay. Hotel staff can make a big difference between a good stay and a great stay. I was pleased to hear that you always find our staff members to be pleasant and friendly. We are very fortunate to have an exceptional housekeeping team that keeps our guestrooms neat and clean. Thank you for your comments, as well, regarding San Fresco Restaurant and our breakfast offerings. We look forward to welcoming you back and thank you for your business.
Milpitas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My family rented a suite on the top floor for one night and we absolutely loved it! There were three of us, my husband, daughter and I. We felt as if we were in a luxury apartment because it was so spacious, nicely decorated, modern and spotless. The livingroom had the pullout queen size bed and it was very big section area. My daughter loved running around this area. We enjoyed the suite so much that we stayed in for the entire stay. The room looked very clean and new and also had a refrigerator too. We especially loved the 2 separate bathrooms and the 2 separate sinks, this was a highlighted of the whole suite. The staff was very professional and attentive, they catered to all our needs with a friendly smile. The pool we thought it was a little bit small but it was in the Winter so did not use it afterall. We stayed here before when it was Wyndham but now it is called Holiday Inn San Jose Airport. They recently did more renovation to the place. They did an awesome job upgrading the place, it definitely transpired the hotel to the next level. We will definttely come back and recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
GHageman, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose-Airport, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. Customer feedback is very important to our continuous improvement process and I appreciate your detailed comments regarding your stay with us. You described our 8th floor suite perfectly and I would agree it offers unique design, spaciousness, and all the amenities for an enjoyable stay. Having recently converted to Holiday Inn following the completion of our $8M renovation, I was pleased that you recognized the many positive changes that have occured since our Wyndham days. There are more good things to come. Thank you for your business and we look forward to welcoming you back.
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Charlotte, May, and Hever thank you so much for your hospitality! These three folks at the front desk went out of their way to make sure my group had a great experience while staying for a training. From making sure everyone was more than happy with their rooms to making dinner reservations these three went above and beyond. I am a spoiled traveler and was a little worried about staying at this hotel. Being here...the rooms are extremely clean, the bed so comfy, the bath product "bath and body", the food looks great and tastes great too. I couldn't be happier with the experience. Most of the group stayed in the renovated rooms on the 6-9 floor.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room. Great experience!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. Group business is a big part of our overall occupancy and it was pleasure to welcome your group to San Jose. We are so pleased that you had a great stay and had the chance to experience top notch hospitality from those staff members that you mentioned. The response from our customers has been outstanding since the completion of our $8M renovation. The guests love our rooms and they love our staff. We certainly hope that we get a chance to welcome you back in the future. Thank you for your kind remarks and for your business.
Longboat Key Fl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The room was described as a corner room, cost $193 including tax, and was extremely small. In the old days they would have called it a maid's room or a chauffeur's room. It was not really a double room and was crowded for two people. There was a good shower but no bathtub - no room for one!
The public areas in the hotel were fine but the bedroom was way too small, the smallest I have ever seen in a chain hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator, and make sure it is big enough.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We do appreciate you taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn San Jose Airport. While our corner rooms are "comfy" and feature the same amenities of our standard guestrooms, the floor space is smaller. Some customers prefer these end rooms with showers (vs. tubs) while others prefer the additional square footage. We would happy to insure that you receive a larger room during a future visit to our area. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed the other improvements that we have made since the completion of our $8M renovation. We hope that you will give us a second chance and we look forward to welcoming you back.
East Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I love how this hotel is always clean inside and out. The renovations were needed and they did a great job with them. The lightrail is across the street which makes it easier to move around and visit downtown.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I was very pleased to hear that you had a chance to experience our hotel since the completion of our $8M renovation. We have received very favorable response from our guests regarding all of the improvements to the hotel. The Holiday Inn San Jose Airport is a great location...just 1 mile from the airport, easy freeway access to I-880 and Highway 101 and Light Rail access to downtown. We do appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back.
Gary Hageman / General Manager

Been to Holiday Inn San Jose-Airport? Share your experiences!