“Just fine for a night before trip home...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Vagabond Inn San Jose (SJC Airport)

You added Vagabond Inn San Jose (SJC Airport) to your Saves list
Vagabond Inn San Jose (SJC Airport)
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1488 North First Street, San Jose, CA 95112   |
Special Deal
Enjoy Breakfast On Us!
Ranked #44 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Wylie, Texas
“Just fine for a night before trip home...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

was a good size room ( with an eating table ) that was clean WITH a microwave & fridge ! the Beds were comfortable, a bit firm but slept fine . did not get to try the continental breakfast from 7-9:30 AM though.

Room Tip: we had a room on the end which was very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bradley
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I wish I had read reviews about this place before we stayed there. This isn't a place that we would stay in normally but we needed somewhere close to the concert we were going to be seeing that night. We won't go back. The room didn't give me a "clean" feeling at all. The bottom sheet (normally a fitted sheet) wouldn't stay on the bed because it's just a top sheet with no way to attach itself to the bed to keep from slipping off. I don't know where the extremely loud and annoying music was coming from but it went on late at night and started again early in the morning. It's not in the best of neighborhoods, so I did not report it. I'm glad I had extra pillows because the pillows they provide are flat. Like I said, I wish I had read the reviews before we got there.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Bellbrook, OH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Booked this hotel to be close to San Jose airport for our departure. We saw the overall rating for this hotel and thought that for the price, we would be fine to stay here. Once I got here, I wished I would never have booked it. We saw what appeared to be a working girl in the parking lot soliciting someone in their car. Upon telling the lady at the desk my name, she informed me she didn't have my reservation but upon further checking she found it. The carpet in the room looks dingy, the chairs have holes in the material, the bedspreads look old and tired. Nothing like the pictures. Unless you really need to save money, spend 30-40 more bucks and get a decent hotel..this one isn't worth the savings. I think many of the recent reviews will encourage you to look elsewhere. I would not recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Harrington, Delaware
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Worst place on earth. Strangers knocking on my door looking the working girls next door. Street girls all over the place. I had to get a room change, hear cars pulling up all hours of the night. a men saying they are just curious. Omg i get out of the shower and have to wash my feet again before i put on my socks and shoes. Never ever go to this place again!!!

• Stayed March 2014
San Jose, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

This Vagabond Inn is own by an East Indian family and the owner's name is Danny. I recently moved to San Jose. My Maltese and I stayed at Vegabond for a month as I transition to my new apartment. It was my fault for not knowing much about Vegabond. My first night, I was greeted by a chubby white male at the front desk. He appears to be friendly and checked me in. I arrived about 8 p.m., it was dark and Vegabond and my room appear to be okay looking. The light in my room was dimmed and not much lighting. That night, I moved most of my personal belongings into the room. The next morning as I headed out to work, I notice Vegabond was a dirty dumpster. Can you imagine what the daylight can bring out the truth about Vegabond. This place is dirty inside out from my room to the lawn, basically everywhere. I saw large dog turds out in the lawn and there were creepy guys (look like homeless people and sex offenders) stayed next door to me. That following weekend, my girlfriends came to visit me from out of town and they were uncomfortable with Vegabond and the creepy guys would stare at us as we entered my friend’s car. I felt so uncomfortable and embarrassed. I complained to Danny and I was allowed to move my room to next door. The next room was another piece of dump, too. My Maltese was playing around and she came from under the bed. She carried a DIRTY TAMPON in her mouth!!!! The tampon was a used dried blooded tampon!!! I completely flipped out and went into crisis mode. I called to talk with my boyfriend on the phone to help deescalate me. I was so disturbed and upset that my boyfriend and I both three way to talk with the owner of Vegabond. Danny refused to move me out of this room. I told Danny to please come and check out the craps under the bed. I told him, I completely felt uncomfortable and I cannot wait to leave this dumpster. Danny told me, I should leave because he doesn’t want to deal with my complaints. The next day, the housekeeper came and lifted the bed to vacuum. I saw empty beer bottles, hard liquor bottles, water bottles, empty condom wrapper, and who knows what else is underneath there. I stayed there for a few more days and I left this dump in a rush.
Note: I was working two jobs at that time and I was always scared for my dog’s well-beings when I was not in my room, because I always felt like I cannot trust the staffs and the owner at Vegabond. The lady that stayed next door to me was permanently residing at Vegabond for over a year (at least that was I heard from Danny). I noticed a stray orange cat walking and crying around the lawn day and night. Eventually, I found out this cat’s name was “Tiger,” because the lady was shouting out the cat’s name early in the morning. It turns out this dirty stray cat was also living at Vegabond. I woke up one morning and saw cat food all over the floor by the vending machine. This cat would meow out my door and my dog would go crazy barking at the cat. At one point, I thought the cat could attacked my little Maltese barking excessively at it.

Note: Both of the rooms I stayed in smells like strong chemical. The showers were dirty and the water leave white residue. The water even smells dirty. The refrigerator look like it was from 1980 and it makes funny noise throughout the day and night. Both rooms was unstylish as all the curtains and bedding liens did not match. Brown stains on bedding sheets. Believe it or not, I saw a bug crawling around my dog’s back. I was so terrify, it could be anything (bed bugs, ticks, etc…) so I threw my dog into the bathtub. I immediately called the groomer to consult with about bugs on my dog. Yes, my dog was taken by the groomer. I always felt like I needed to take a shower and cleaned the room, because it was nasty in there.
This was one of the most creepiest and horrifying experience staying at Vegabond. Please do NOT stay at this cheap dumpster. If you don't believe me, go ahead and stay there maybe do it as an activity for Halloween or April’s Fool Day with your friends.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Background: We stayed for one night while visiting family during the Thanksgiving holiday. We selected the property for its close proximity to SJC airport.
Reservations/Check-in/Staff: We made reservations through the Vagabond website. However, I needed to call Vagabond to confirm receipt of our reservation. It took over a day to receive a confirmation email. Check-in went fine, except the evening clerk made us leave our partially completed frequent stay card with him. On check out, the day clerk told us the card was misfiled and our card was given to another guest. Initially, we were blamed for not putting our name on the card and told that we were out of luck; the card is gone and you lost all your stays/credit - there's nothing that can be done. Fortunately, by going over to the nearby Denny's, she was able to retrieve our card.
Room: We stayed in a building way in the back of the property. It appears that only this building was in use. The room was average in size and we noted some mold near the bathtub.
Other amenities: The breakfast area is tiny with no tables, only two lounge chairs. Coffee and cinnamon rolls were available. The pool area was closed.
Overall: Average to poor. Not bad for the price in Silicon Valley. However, cleanliness, breakfast, and reservations/staff performance were issues.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Clean and convient. Staff was friendly. Room needed some a bit of maintenance but nothing that caused a problem. The "breakfast" left much to be desired. No television or internet available for this multi day stay but that was a Comcast problem and not the hotels fault. In the center of the silicon valley and Comcast cannot get the signal to work! That's sick.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com