“Lovely hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The hotel is gorgeous, a true fairmont. The room is beautiful and modern. The pool is a lovely area. The hotel is very good value. The location isn't great as there isn't much to do. I would recommend San Jose as an area for holiday. We stopped here on our way up to San Francisco but there isn't much here so we were glad to have the pool. San Jose is much warmer than San Francisco as is in land so don't be fooled just because its close. The hotel grill restaurant is very good to but a bit pricey.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

From the moment we drove up until we left we had outstanding service. While we were traveling for family fun the Fairmont lived up to our expectations.
I find quality service, a large room, and easy in & out to make family travel smooth.
I have only good things to say about this property.

• Stayed August 2013
FairmontSanJose, Director of Sales at The Fairmont San Jose, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Hello,

We are very happy to hear you had such an amazing experience staying with us, and you enjoyed your stay with your family.

We can't wait to welcome you back and we thank you for sharing your experience with everyone on TripAdvisor.

Marshall Jones
Director of Sales and Marketing
marshall.jones@fairmont.com
San Juan Bautista, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

The room was beautiful and modern, the bathroom had a great shower and bath. The whole place was elegant and nicely decorated. My Boyfriend and I stayed here for the Valentines Day special. We got a great deal on a couples massage. The massages were great and the spa are was very relaxing. We wanted to hang out in the hot tub after the massage but we had to make it to our dinner reservations after. The food at the restaurant was great except that I don't like seafood and a lot of the menu included seafood. I'm sure it was great though for anyone who likes it. I had the steak, it came with lobster sauce but I got it on the side and didn't try it but the steak was great even plain. I would recommend this hotel for couples who want a romantic night out, definitely get the Valentines special.

Room Tip: We had a normal king room and it was great.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Auburn, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

always happy with the Fairmont..........clean rooms, well maintained. great staff too It's convienent and within walking distance for great food. We always go to the classic Original Joe's for great Italian fare.

Room Tip: new section is great!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Appleton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

My room was very spacious with an excellent selection of TV channels. At least on my side too, there was a pleasant view of the mountains. The lobby bar has live music nearly every night and seemed to attract a modest crowd. If you join the Fairmont President's Club, the internet is complimentary. The concierge was incredibly helpful as we planned a car rental and places to go - she spent about 40 minutes getting maps and brochures for a good day out. I like the location of this hotel: the airport is mere minutes away, yet in its downtown location, you are very close to some nice eating places, and even a Safeway grocery store, a block away.

Room Tip: Ask for a 10th + floor with mountain view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Austin, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Not a bad hotel, but lacking in a couple of areas...

1) $26 valet, no self-parking, and it takes 35 minutes to get your car in the morning.
2) Odd annex building.

$26 a night for parking is pretty high but I wouldn't be upset if the valet actually had my car ready when they said they would. It says on the ticket and at the desk that you should call down 20 minutes before you want your car. I called down about 25 minutes in advance... and I get down to the valet area and there's 20-30 people waiting for their cars.

I hand in my ticket and the woman at the desk THEN finds my ticket and THEN puts it in the queue for the guys to run and get my car. I said, "Why isn't my car ready, I called down 20 minutes ago?", and she said, "So did all these other people" as if it was MY problem.

I waited an extra 10-15 minutes for my car after that while the hotel held my car hostage. Unforgiveable. I would have complained at the front desk but I had already checked out and I was late.

This is really a management problem. The valet guys were running fast and getting the cars as fast as they could, there simply wasn't enough of them. The management know how many people are staying each night and they know everyone will leave between 8-9AM on weekdays, so use one person's $26 to hire another valet for pete's sake!!

As for the odd annex building, to get to your room you have to walk OUT of the building, through a pedestrian plaza, and into the annex building which has no staff in the lobby and is just accessed by your room key. Didn't bother me that much but if I were a solo female and it were late at night I wouldn't be too happy about it. I found out later there is a bridge but the front desk directed me to walk the outside route.

It's good for central San Jose but if you are visiting the tech areas of Sunnyvale, Mountain View, anywhere North on the 101, etc., then traffic in that direction is pretty bad in the morning.

Rooms are above-average for a 4-star hotel, front desk are pretty efficient, the internet works well and internet is free if you join their frequent stayer club. However, you keep me waiting for 10-15 minutes for something that is supposed to be ready, then you lose a circle. Simple as that.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hello,

We thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is reviews like these that allow us to find opportunities for improvement and it seems here we have missed the mark.

I wanted to personally respond and follow up with you after I received your review. I would like to assure you that we take all comments and concerns from our guests very seriously and yours is no exception. Providing exceptional service and a welcoming environment for our guests is of utmost importance to us.

I would love to discuss your experience in further detail. Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience.

Marshall Jones
Director of Sales and Marketing
marshall.jones@fairmont.com
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Nice hotel..Very plush..Especially for Business purposes, situated right in the middle of some critical Silicon Valley offices..However, they do not provide breakfast..which is really sad :( (hence only 4 stars!)
The rooms are extremely comfortable. I somehow felt that the rooms in the main building (where the reception is) are slightly better than the rooms in the other building.

Room Tip: Try ot opt for a room in the main building where the reception is
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Fairmont San Jose? Share your experiences!