“Good hotel downtown SJC” 4 of 5 stars

20% Off Room/Food & Drink
Ranked #8 of 74 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
zurich
“Good hotel downtown SJC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

I've spent 5 days at the Fairmont for a conference, and was pleased with the hotel quality (especially given the group rate we had).

The rooms are large and clean, no noise to report even if there are streets in front and in the back of the hotel (at least from the executive tower). The bathroom is large and clean, the shower could have more water pressure but it's ok (just takes more time to shower).

The fitness center is quite good with the usual hardware. I haven't tried the outside pool given it was raining most of the week.

Two things to avoid: the breakfast at the hotel is really average (I only went once), the following days I went to Binjan which is really next door (executive tower entry): fresh juices, nice french pastries, etc The second thing I didn't like too much is the bar area which seems (at least during my stay) to be more for 40+ persons (music&co).

• Liked — Modern, large and clean rooms
  • Disliked — The restaurant and bar
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Hoboken, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2008

I have stayed in a number of Fairmont properties around the world and I can say that this is the worst one I have found. The hotel doesn't look like it has been updated in 25+ years. The room while spacious, has seen better days. Being a business traveller I was also annoyed with the layout of the desk, which had some ornate wood caring under the desk surface which I was constantly hitting my knees on. The bathroom is where you the hotel shows its age -- tight stall shower with very calcified shower head. I will not stay here again.

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Redmond, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2008

To let my bias be known, I am usually extremely budget-conscious in my choice of hotel. I only stayed at the Fairmont because of a business conference, so I wasn't paying. Therefore, I might have been a little overawed.

That said, everything about this hotel impressed me. A bellhop opened my taxi door and the service went uphill from there. Everyone was friendly. The lobby was immense and impressive. It all seemed very beautiful to me. Whatever I asked for was immediately provided. The bed was comfortable (four down pillows and a down comforter!); I much prefer non-down pillows and there was one waiting in the closet. The room (I was on the 5th floor in the south tower) was quite large enough for one person (one king bed, but the rest of the furniture had room to breathe), though the decor was "nice" rather than "impressive." I can only describe the bathroom as opulent; there was both a deep soaking tub and a glass shower, with all the provided toiletries you could need. Everything has a finishing touch, and the room is always refreshed when I come back, even in the evening after I was in the room during the afternoon, though I've never seen the housekeeping staff.

Room service was prompt and attractive. I spent an evening in the lobby, listening to live piano (Mon-Sat) and enjoying drinks (there isn't a martini you could wish for that isn't in their 60-page menu, and if there is, you can just ask for it), and that was comfortable and relaxing. It never go too loud. Occasionally I could hear other things going on outside my room, but it wasn't enough to keep me awake, for example, and I had a room right by the service elevator.

The one drawback to this hotel, in my opinion, would be that *everything* has a service charge. Room service is exorbitantly expensive, then they add a delivery charge and a 22% gratuity. Internet (if you're not in the President's Club, which I recommend joining, since it's free) was like $14 a day. The only refrigerator in the room is the "automated refreshment center," which is stocked full of overpriced beverages. I didn't try the TV, but the alarm clock worked fine and it was nice to have a digital tuner (I could've also used a CD, except I hadn't brought one with me). *Don't* use the phone in the room; it's $1.50 just to pick it up (except, of course, for calling within the hotel), even for a local or toll-free number. If I were spending my own money, I'd rather go to an all-inclusive resort (which San Jose wouldn't have; what would be the point?) so that I could just know up front how much it was going to cost and that would be that.

• Liked — Service, location, lounge/lobby
  • Disliked — Price
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2008

We attended a dinner next door so we decided to spend the night here. TIP-Always check the room prices on the web as your arrival date approaches. Everytime we have done this the prices have come down. Also the north tower is a little more expensive because the rooms are newer and seem a little larger thus the price difference. We stayed in the main wing and really enjoyed our views of town. The location is in the center of town. The room furniture is getting worn and needs to be updated soon. This is one of the hotels to consider but I would price shop since five other quality hotels are within a block of each other.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The condition of the room furniture,
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Fremont, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2007

We got married here and they really took care of us. The service was great and they accomodated pretty much all we asked of them.

We rented a suite with a connecting room the night before the wedding so that my wife and her bridesmaids could get ready together on the wedding day. They gave us a roll-away bed without question for one of the bridesmaids to stay in. They brought up extra champagne and we didn't even have to ask for it.

The night of the wedding they included a suite as a part of our wedding package and they gave us everything that we needed. We are very happy with the service and courtesy we received.

There are only three things that I have to gripe about. One is the lack of free broadband access. The other five-star hotels I've stayed at have always provided it and even some of the three-stars have given it free of charge. Come on Fairmont, if the Marriott can do it, you guys can do it.

The second is that the lighting in the suite was not very strong and it was a little annoying. Next renovation, you guys should include recessed lighting with a fader. That would be cool.

Lastly, parking for guests was $24 a night. I think that guests should be able to park for free. But that's just me I guess.

Overall, my wife and I really like the hotel a lot and we would definitely stay here again if we needed to sleep in SJ. Thanks Fairmont.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Surcharge for Internet Access and for Parking
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2007

I stayed at the Fairmont during the week of October 14 and was pleasantly surprised by the accommodations. Free local newspaper, New York Times and a great in-house gym. There is plenty of shopping and eateries nearby if you don't care for the hotel fair which can be pricey. Located in downtown San Jose only 3 miles from the airport and conveniently located near light rail stops, the Fairmont can't be beat

• Liked — View, location
  • Disliked — Stain on floor of room
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2007

I've stayed here a few times on business. The hotel is OK, but for a Fairmont I would expect a lot better. The lounge downstairs is icky with grimy chairs. The decor of the hotel also seems very fake and service is poor (they even sent me outside to Starbucks for a newspaper once). It's the kind of place you might go for a conference but not somewhere where you would want to stay on your own dime. The rooms are noisy and the wallpaper in the bathrooms is often dirty and peeling. Avoid it.

• Liked — Good central location. Comfy beds.
  • Disliked — Not clean
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Fairmont San Jose? Share your experiences!