“great place/staff” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 71 Hotels in San Jose
San Luis Obispo, California
“great place/staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

i've been staying at this hotel since bay 101 across the street opened in the early 90's and also stay there while attending 3-4 49er games each season. very reasonably priced, the staff is
always helpful (especially a couple of employees: pete zaldivar and jenny zulrla). they go
the "extra mile" on any issue/assistance that one might need.

i highly recommend this hotel (ie...wouldn't be staying there otherwise)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
GMSJCJO, General Manager at Staybridge Suites San Jose, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Hello Anthony,

We are so proud to have you as a regular visitor to our hotel. As you well know it is more often the people of the hotel that make it great and we know we have a great hotel. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Charles E. Julien

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Cave Junction
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

This was a very lovely place to spend several days especially with a group of people. We were in the 2 bedroom suite which gave us plenty of space and privacy. The kitchen was a MUST for my special diet so having it was so convenient. The hotel has been newly remodeled so everything is new and fresh and tasteful. The only issue was the mattresses were very hard even though they had a thick pad on top that 1.5 inch pad is not enough to make the board hard mattress any softer. Really appreciated the convenience to the freeway in an off street area.

Room Tip: There is a sofa sleeper but if you have more than 3 people I would get the 2 bedroom suite
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
GMSJCJO, General Manager at Staybridge Suites San Jose, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Hello Mary R,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel here on Tripadvisor. Your experience here and your feedback are very important to us. As you say, we have been recently renovated in our guest rooms and are so proud of the new design. I hope we can have you back here with us soon. The comfort of a hotels beds is so important and at the same time unique to an individuals preference. For your next visit we will take special care to address your comfort choice and ensure you enjoy every aspect of your stay with us.

Once again, thank you for your review and your patronage.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

The hotel rooms are gorgeous and have some terrific amenities. There is a nightly happy hour Tues - Thurs nights. There is a cabana and the pool area is quite nice.

I've stayed one night so far, but there are 2 big issues that cause this place to fall short of perfect. First, the wifi is terrible. I don't just mean slow, because it is, but it cuts out making viewing any videos and downloading even small apps and files terrible. Advice: bring an Ethernet cable. Second, stairs everywhere. No lifts, very few ramps. Not great if you have heavy luggage. I'm not entirely sure what you would do if you needed handicap access, but there are an awful lot of stairs. Plus there are upstairs units.

I'll come back and amend this review if necessary, but the place would be a lot nicer if it were closer to anything other than the airport and were a bit easier to get around.

• Stayed October 2012
GMSJCJO, General Manager at Staybridge Suites San Jose, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Hello and thank you for your beautiful review of our hotel. Our whole staff appreciates the time you took to share your thoughts. The Staybridge Suites San Jose is located in the heart of Silicone Valley and as can be expected has a big demand for quality internet access. Our management and owners have been working very hard to ensure a good internet experience. We are investing in technology to improve this vital service and we expect to be able to improve your experience on your next visit.

The hotel is campus style hotel that consists of 7 buildings in which access to the upper floors requires the use of stairs. Our guests who require ADA accessible accommodations are provided one of our seven dedicated specially designed rooms are situated at various locations around the hotel on the ground floor. If your would feel more comfortable on the ground floor our friendly staff will arrange in advance to accommodate your request. We are also available and happy to personally assist you with any heavy items.

Once again, thank you for your review and we look forward to your next visit.

Cary, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed here for a business trip and found my room to be nicely decorated, spacious and clean. Unfortunately, the exterior of the building is in some disrepair, and I was not aware until my arrival that all rooms open to the outside. This did not make me feel secure, especially as a woman traveling alone. The kitchen in my room was well equipped and I liked having the option to stay in for the evening meal. The free breakfast was so-so. Eggs did not taste fresh...more like something poured out of a carton. I was glad that I rented a car because their shuttle service requires making a request 24 hours in advance, which was not a good option for my schedule. Front desk staff was friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites San Jose, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear JFBWDogs,

We appreciate your feedback regarding our property. I am pleased to know that you found our room clean and our front desk staff friendly. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had because of the lay-out of the rooms as well as breakfast. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Beccles, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

What a really great hotel - smart, new and comfortable. Nice staff, great breakfast and cost effective. The staff were friendly and helpful, the whole thing was efficient and clean.

I slept well and loved the Casino 200 yards away - open 24 hours a day plus the great fitness centre next door.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good and quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hello Mr. O’Donnell,

Tank you for this wonderful review. We are so proud of the new design of our rooms here. As you mention we are very close to the Bay 101 casino and to 24HR Fitness. The renovation of our public spaces will be complete soon and when we are done our existing on-site fitness room will triple in size and include new equipment.

Most importantly we are very proud to have you recognize the wonderful staff at our hotel. We work to have this kind of experience for each of our guests and we are excited when we get to share these results with everyone.

Please come and see us again soon.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Stayed in a 2BR unit here for two nights.... The room was renovated within days of our stay (I know this as the units on the ground floor of our building were being worked on during our stay, plus the fresh carpet/paint smell in the room) Incredible room size and super comfortable. No noise whatsoever. Breakfast was decent in the mornings, and the staff was extremely helpful. Close proximity to the San Jose Airport and to the 101. Would look at staying here again if I am in the area

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
GMSJCJO, General Manager at Staybridge Suites San Jose, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Hello ktown_traveller04,

We are excited you chose to stay with us while you visited San Jose. As you note the renovations were ongoing at the time of your visit. All areas are now completed and on your next visit you can experience all of the modern touches we have added. Please come visit us again soon.

Regards,

Charles.julien@ihg.com
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed at the Staybridge in SJ for 4 nights at the end of June in a 2BR suite with my 8 and 10 year old. Many if not most suites at the hotel had recently undergone a facelift with new furniture, carpet, appliances, bathroom fixtures, kitchen cabinets and trim throughout, which made it on par with any other big city hotel where form is as important as function. It was very nice! (We've stayed at Staybridge in the past, and while it was perfectly comfortable, you could tell it was dated).

We ate breakfast at the free buffet every morning. I think its great that they have hot food (eggs, belgian waffle, sausage, etc), not just cold cereal. They had flavored coffee creamer, which I consumed a lot of every morning, as this is something I would not buy for myself. The evening light dinners (ie dumplings, hot dogs/hamburgers, pizza, always with salad) were fine if you wanted to grab a free meal with out getting in the car, or if you wanted to augment your carryout leftovers from the night before. They do have a grill on site and I saw a guest grilling food on it one night. I did laundry (machines are free, but you need to provide your own detergent) while there, which was great. The pool had a hot tub and looked nice, but my son was there to have surgery, so couldn't swim, so the whole family passed on the pool. The location is very convenient to many restaurants, stores, highways, etc. The staff were exceptionally nice.

The only downside I would say is that while free wifi is included, I had trouble maintaining a connection to my work VPN through the wifi connection. I called tech support 3 times and they tried various things, but were unable to really resolve the problem.

So in summary, a great, comfortable place to stay with your family. I would definitely stay there again if the occasion called for it.

Room Tip: If you are a member of the loyalty program (Priority), you will get a nicer room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
GMSJCJO, General Manager at Staybridge Suites San Jose, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
I would like to thank you so very much for these kind words. We all hope that your son has recovered well and that you are able to enjoy swim with us on the next visit. The hotels internet has been a top focus and we hope that you will visit us again soon and let us show you how much we have improved.

Charles E. Julien

Been to Staybridge Suites San Jose? Share your experiences!