“Pretty good for a overnight stay” 4 of 5 stars

Free of Fees
Ranked #25 of 74 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersGold level
newport, nc
“Pretty good for a overnight stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

After having a issue with my flight I had to stay over in San Jose for the evening. For a overnight stay it was very convenient. The staff has been friendly and accommodating. The place was very clean. Bed was so comfortable. When I travel DoubleTrees hotels are always my first choice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Maplewood, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We had drinks on 11/10 & the Martina's were not only bad, but the wait staff didn't seem to care. I asked for the manager whose name was Orlando. He asked if I was staying for dinner which I wasn't. I told him I was returning from vacationing in Santa Teresa the next Saturday and he asked if I would look him up. I didn't expect much, but when I returned tonight, Saturday, Orlando not only recognized me, but ordered complimentary drinks for my entire party. This is how restaurants SHOULD be run; to inspire customer loyalty. Kudos to the Double Tree in San Jose, Costa Rico and especially, Orlando!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed at DoubleTree hotels in other locations and been very pleased.

This hotel just isn't up to the normal standard I expect from DoubleTree.

When I ordered dinner from room service, I was kinda put off by the fact that my soda was brought to me in a can without a glass of ice. Just a can of diet coke! So I guess I am supposed to leave my hot meal and go get ice down the hall. I think for $42 for a single meal, they could include a glass of ice. I mean really! Im not ordering from a hotdog vendor on the street. It's room service.

The room is large with a huge closet and bathroom with two sinks and a separate vanity which is nice. But there's a lot of cobwebs on the ceiling and the decor is outdated.

• Stayed November 2012
Delft, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed several days in this hotel for a conference being held there. The hotel rooms are expensive, big and clean, but old and worn off. Despite this, the bed was very comfortable. The hotel has only slow free wifi in the lobby, which was not working on my phone or laptop half of the time. For the one day that I bought the expensive wired internet in my room to finish some urgent work the internet was unbearable slow. Location of the hotel is terrible: it is located in the middle of a business park with nothing around save some restaurants (most of which are closed during the weekend). Luckily there are alternative restaurants around, as the hotel restaurants are very expensive. The only upside location wise is that it is in walking distance from the airport.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Santa Claus, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Arrived on late flight and greated with very pleasant desk personnel. They must feel they have to make up for what the guest is about to experience. After that, it was downhill. Parking is very expensive, and parked less than ten hrs. Felt as though we were put in the dungeon section of hotel. Beds were horrible, shower had mold and did not drain, room had a musty smell like it had not been used in a long time, cobwebs in several corners, and carpet was old. Stayed during the month of October, so maybe rooms were being prepared for Halloweeen. The bar was packed and full of loud professionals which didn't bother us since we were going to our room. Breakfast was good and our waitress was pleasant. She seemed to know most of the patrons eating. The hotel is very convenient to airport and you do not hear the air traffic. As a HH member we were entitled to wifi and snacks on the "business traveler" floor. Those rooms must be clean because the business travelers looked well rested at breakfast. The only positives.....convenience,desk clerk and breakfast. Parking is so expensive $18, and hotel is overpriced.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

The hotel is very close to the airport and is thus convenient. However, the rooms are well insulated as I never heard any airport traffic. My room was a decent size.

The downsides are -

- expensive
- pay to park
- restaurants are so-so
- front desk personnel were pleasant, but rest of staff around the hotel was less so
- mold in my shower
- carpeting in my room was thinning
- air filter in ceiling bordered on disgusting
- free wi-fi only in the lobby

You just don't get the feeling that the hotel is hungry for business. It's a conference facility so maybe the hotel feels that it has a captive audience. It's in a bit of a corporate park so now much else around this I had to eat here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MLIves, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton San Jose, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear Tomjr,

Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. We appreciate your candid review of our property. New perspectives about our hotel and our guestroom appearance help us make improvements to our guest experience on an ongoing basis. Please share any additional comments or suggestions with us any time.

Matthew Ives
Director of Front Office
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Went on business. I had checked TA website, and sort of knew what I was in for....

As a Hilton Honors member, I was not given anything, but after I asked, I was told I was entitled to free wi-fi. Great, since I would be working for most ot the time, and didn't bring my computer.

Our first room on the fourth floor had a dirty bathroom. Like a broom did not pick up left overs from the shower. Curly little buggers. My hubby traveling with me, (who never complains) called and asked for a new. 'cleaner' room. We requested the upper business traveler floor. We were accommodated.

The entire hotel was overrun with older (Japanese, I say this only because it might explain behavior) women on a Buddah conference. Loud, rude and rather unfriendly. Constant noise in the halls, doors slamming (worse than kids!).

On the top floor, we had refreshments, that were raided as soon as put out. On our two night stay, we had to call three separate times to have them restock it. Cokes, diet, Sprite, and water. Granola bars, Rice Kripsies treats, and peanuts. Apples, bananas, fruit, coffee and hot water for tea. So, you, see nothing out of ordinary that might be kept downstairs in lobby. ( But people were rude, and selfish loading up there bags.) Not the hotel problem, but more attention to the area would be warrented.

The rooms were outdated, with wear and tear showing on furniture. Outdated bathrooms.

NOT worth the money they are charging!!! But comfortable for mid-priced.

The valet managetr was very helpful with directions, I think his name was Derek. He went above nad beyond in today's current customer service. The younger kids, shrugged their shoulders, but he stepped in.

Would stay somewhere else for the money

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton San Jose? Share your experiences!