“Worst Service I've had in years!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Sainte Claire

Save Saved
You added The Sainte Claire to your Saves list
The Sainte Claire
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   302 South Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113 (Formerly Hyatt Sainte Claire)   |
Ranked #25 of 72 hotels in San Jose
Houston, Texas
“Worst Service I've had in years!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

At first I walked in expecting the usual historic styled hotels with amazing service we usually see such as the Brown Palace in Denver or the Arlington Hotel in Arkansas where the infamous Al Capon would spend the weekends. But unfortunately the Saint Clair failed miserably, this hotel is honestly the worst service I've had in years. I should of booked a room across the street at the marriott or at the Fairmont which is two blocks away. The front desk was EXTREMELY rude and completely unhelpful. They tried to play a game with the deposit and were trying to charge us the rooms upfront for all three nights. They event went as far as trying to charge my card for over $600 on the Third night for the last night when we had already paid over $456 for two nights! Keep in mind the rooms were $178 a night, so where does $1056 come in is my greatest guess!?!? I ended up giving the kid at the front desk cash for the last night so they would stop playing with my card and he then had the nerve to charge my card without my authorization. Lastly we needed to get the bathroom serviced, and because I confronted the front desk they wouldn't asnwer our calls so we had to go in person and once more go through another hasle. In all honesty the worse experience I've had and I've been traveling for over 17 years. (and I've had nightmare experiences such as bathrooms flooding at a Hyaat Resort, but at least they knew how to treat a valued customer)

Also the bathtub had a cracked in the material, the coffee pot had old water in it, there was a broken outlet, outdated CD radio, the TV randomly turns off, lime stains on the tubrailing.

The only good thing was the bed comforter and the pillows.

Room Tip: Go to any another Hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

271 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Kinston, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The hotel is an older hotel, yet nicely renovated. The staff was very courteous. There was a new employee covering the front desk alone in the morning, but he was very nice. I dined in the hotel restaurant where the food and atmosphere were good, yet service was slow, but as long as you aren't in a hurry, the experience is enjoyable. There are several other good dining options within walking distance of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Placerville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed here one night, as we had tickets for the Andrea Bocelli concert that evening. The hotel is very warm and inviting, staff are very friendly. The hotel was only a mile from the HP Pavilion, so we were able to walk both ways without any problem. The hotel has an "Il Fornaio" Restaurant in it, that also serves breakfast. The staff are great, breakfast was delicious. Surrounding the area are numerous places to eat, a park for children and young families.

The furnishings were comfortable, the HVAC system worked well. No views from the inside courtyard rooms, but no street noise either.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard room, they are quieter
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

Stayed over 2 nights for a business trip to visit a client in downtown San Jose so it is just a 10-minute walk for my meetings due to its central location.

Rooms look old and in need of refurbishment, this is still ok but the bed sheets do not smell like they were newly washed.. Kind of 'recycled' feel.. And that is bad.

Kudos to the front desk staff who were friendly and helpful in getting town car bookings for me.

Overall it would have been a much pleasant stay if the sheets were fresh.

• Stayed August 2012
Pontevedra, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is my second night in the hotel.
I've been in several hotels in USA, this is just great, the lobby is amazing, I didn't try the restaurant but the prices are fine for a restaurant hotel. Internet connection in the rooms is really fast.
I would recommend this place.

Room Tip: I heard that a room of the 6th floor is charming... but I doubt that.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Scotts Valley, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

After reading about the purchase by Westin I decided to give it a try while attending a function with some friends downtown. Big mistake.
The lobby area is grand and elegant in an old hotel kind of way but the rooms are a disappointment.
We stayed in a "mini suite" , it was smaller than a regular room at a cheap hotel. No table and chairs, no microwave, no place to plug in your iPod etc. Rooms are old and outdated, bathrooms are small, cramped and dark. If you want a bathrobe in your room you must request it in advance. The beds are nothing special and I could hear clearly the conversations being held by the people in the adjoining rooms.
If you want a newspaper in the morning you have to get dressed and go down to the lobby in the am to get it and you'd better go VERY early, when I got down there they told me, "Oh, we have a lot of guests so there aren't any left"
I spoke with an employee who advised me they won't be redoing the hotel to Westin Standards till after June of 2013. Maybe we'll give them another try, but with the Marriot across the street and the Fairmont a few blocks away I don't think so.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My wife and I stayed for two nights at the Sainte Claire Hotel in San Jose on our way to Hawaii. The hotel is very nice and the lobby areas are elegant. The room we had was large and comfortable, at a price that was commensurate with others in the downtown area. The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. The Italian restaurant within the hotel has a terrific menu with reasonable prices (for a quality, well appointed restaurant) and the food was delicious. The downtown location is wonderful - within walking distance of attractions like the Tech Museum, St. Joseph's basilica, etc. It is certainly worthwhile to check out this hotel if you are traveling to San Jose.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Sainte Claire? Share your experiences!