“A very nice stay at the Sainte Claire” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Sainte Claire

Save Saved
You added The Sainte Claire to your Saves list
The Sainte Claire
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   302 South Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113 (Formerly Hyatt Sainte Claire)   |
Ranked #26 of 73 Hotels in San Jose
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“A very nice stay at the Sainte Claire”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My wife and I stayed for two nights at the Sainte Claire Hotel in San Jose on our way to Hawaii. The hotel is very nice and the lobby areas are elegant. The room we had was large and comfortable, at a price that was commensurate with others in the downtown area. The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. The Italian restaurant within the hotel has a terrific menu with reasonable prices (for a quality, well appointed restaurant) and the food was delicious. The downtown location is wonderful - within walking distance of attractions like the Tech Museum, St. Joseph's basilica, etc. It is certainly worthwhile to check out this hotel if you are traveling to San Jose.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I had a great stay at the Sainte Claire. The staff were friendly and helpful, my room was clean and pretty and the lobby and meeting rooms were really nice. I loved the feel of history in the hotel and the location and price were great. I just have two complaints. One is that yes, the rooms aren't super soundproof to the street, which is to be expected in an older place. I did hear the light rail from my room, but as an urban dweller myself it wasn't that distressing. But if you're sensitive to noise mention it or bring some white noise.

Second, one of the reviews here on Travelocity promised ghosts. I was out quite late and so I was rambling about the hallways well into the witching hours and there was not so much as a peep, no weird chills, no wispy visions and no strange noises. Not so much as a bad dream. So really, if you're looking for haunted houses I wouldn't count on seeing anything odd here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Santa Rosa, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The bed was bliss, window opened and everything worked and was in top notch condition! The food was fresh and fabulous, coffee was superb and the staff were. Incredibly helpful and kind. Situated blocks from everything in San Jose, this hotel is the perfect boutique hotel environment.

Room Tip: Top two floors
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My room was comfortable, but I was disappointed. The TV picture was fuzzy and hard to watch. I forgot my deodorant and when I checked with the front desk, they informed me that they were out and I had to walk 4 blocks in the rain to the nearest Walgreen's. Ugh!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Los Gatos, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I basically spent a night here for my birthday, intended to be a safe, nearby place to crash without having to drive home under the influence. I didn't get to enjoy much of the hotel's amenities to say the least.

The rooms are relatively modern, equipped with Wi-Fi, nice sheets, and wonderful L'Occitane toiletries. As many reviewers note, it is quite a noisy location for a hotel. New Yorkers would scoff at such comments, though, and keeping the fan running all night helped white noise-out a lot of the city/hotel soundtrack.

The bathroom is just darling, what with the sky painted onto the ceiling. I know for some it might feel like a colonic spa, but I enjoyed the wood appointments, the tiled floors, and nicely-pressured shower. Oh and those toiletries. Also yes.

My criticisms are hard to level, because it fits to a T that hotel at California Adventure with the elevator ride, down to the font they use on their signage. And for some reason I find it spooky, charming, and kitschy. I'd bring earplugs next time and perhaps some NyQuil. Business travelers might be better served at the Marriott across the street, or the Hilton a few blocks down. But for those looking for a bit of history (and looking to put up with a few service/facilities hiccups here and there), the Sainte Claire is a lore-filled landmark sure to tickle your nostalgia and/or ghost humor.

Room Tip: Ask about the Montgomery Suite. It's hidden between the lobby and the first floor. It runs $700...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Very lovely hotel with cozy lobby and Il Fornaio restaurant. That means that you can order excellent room service - the desert list alone is 8 items.

The hotel is right across from the Fairmont; Tech museum, etc. Great downtown location.

The windows open a little bit, but there's air conditioning. The furnishings, etc. are of a 4 star hotel. Not as fancy as the Fairmont, but very nice.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Freakishly haunted hotel. I'm sorry, it's not the service that is bad here. I think the hotel does a fine job of running the place...HOWEVER. This hotel is DEFINITELY haunted. I should preface by saying that I had never before thought spirits or ghosts were part of this world. I now have an entirely different perspective after staying 7 nights at this hotel.

The first 3 nights I stayed, I literally could NOT fall asleep. Not exactly sure why, lots of odd noises, creaking hallways, things dropping next door etc.. No big deal, but I switched rooms all three nights and never slept soundly.

I came back 2 months later for a 4 night stay, requesting the quietest room possible. They checked me into room 602, the very end of the hallway next to the freight elevator on the top floor.

Again, I had trouble falling asleep at night, and was often awaken during the night by strange disturbances...the TV chiming on and off, the bathroom light flickering on and off (motion sensored), and even one of my toiletries falling from the shelf in the middle of the night. Sure these were annoying, but I never attributed any of it to paranormal activity...until my last night.

At around 4:30a, I woke up to use the bathroom. As I came back into bed and started to drift back to sleep, I was suddenly full awakened by a fierce chill in the air, and every hair on my body standing straight up, goosebumps, chills, heart-racing. My arms sunk into the bed as if someone had slid their way on top of me, pushing against my torso into the bed. Something was pressing against my body on top of me. I didn't dare open my eyes, but could see the figure of a ghost illuminated in front of my face through my eyelids (if that makes sense). It gripped me tightly and wanted me to open my eyes and recognize her existence. When I finally broke free, she had left. Completely rattled, I figured this must have been a nightmare. I sat in bed for about 45 minutes and finally picked up my phone to get my mind off the experience and read email. What I found instead was 3 text messages from my coworker who had experienced the SAME visitor in his room within 30 minutes of my encounter.

Needless to say, I won't be back by choice to this hotel. I hope that others can stay and have an amazing experience, but for me, the ghosts, noisy rooms, uncomfortable beds, and overall lack of cleanliness will prevent me from coming back.

Room Tip: Do not get a room facing the street, it's very noisy. All rooms have paper thin walls, so hope n...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Sainte Claire? Share your experiences!