“New Year's Eve Gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Sainte Claire

Save Saved
You added The Sainte Claire to your Saves list
The Sainte Claire
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   302 South Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113 (Formerly Hyatt Sainte Claire)   |
Ranked #21 of 72 hotels in San Jose
San Jose, California
“New Year's Eve Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

My family and I booked two rooms for New Year's Eve even though we live locally. We have eaten many times at their restaurant, Il Fornaio, which we love so we decided to stay overnight for New Year's Eve because we love the quiet elegance and the old world flavor. Last year we stayed at another hotel that is much newer down the street and it was a complete zoo - people reserving one room (and inviting 10 friends to spend the night). People standing in the check in line with huge rolling coolers. And the noise level was incredible. Back to the Saint Claire - friendly, extremely helpful staff especially the front desk manager. He couldn't do enough for us. He provided a list of free DVDs (great selection and lots of current releases) to check out. He helped us get some sodas and snacks without having to call room service, and when we checked out, he even gave us a package of nuts as a parting gift which was so sweet of him. We felt so special. The rooms are comfortable with a flat screen tv, DVD player, wifi, comfortable beds and a window that you could open and enjoy fresh air. The bathroom had a painted sky with stars painted on the ceiling. We enjoyed the elegant lobby and sitting room with the big comfy chairs and sofas. And most of all, in spite of a wedding taking place in the ballroom, we enjoyed the quiet. It was so relaxing. Christmas in the Park is situated right across the street and we had fun walking around the various displays. The movie theaters are very close and we enjoyed the walk. The room has a small refrigerator where we stored our champagne until midnight. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit. Great pricing and a great elegant and classy hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the street to get a good view of the city and the lights at night. The str...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

258 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Eureka, cA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I chose the Ste. Claire for its location to our business at hand, the reviews on T.A. and the amenities listed such as free internet and 24 hour room service. Also, between The Hilton, Sheraton, and a few others I looked into, I got the best rate here. We have a winner!
What was meant to be a quick trip turned into a 5 day stay. Upon arrival the valet and door man were professional and welcoming as were the front desk staff. My husband and I were not disappointed at the beauty of the lobby (a mirrored wall gives the impression of a major hall being ten tiimes larger than it is - a great illusion) or the proximity to the entrance to Il Fornaio Restaurant, which I now believe, should be included in many more hotels!!!
I did my homework beforehand and requested an inward facing room (they gave me an option) so as to avoid any street noise. There was no view - well there was but it was of walls and a roof, but the quiet was welcome. I must say though, that this is a sleepier section of downtown San Jose, not a bustling megatropolis so I can't imagine the street sounds being exactly mind bending as inferred in some reviews. I am sensitive to noise and did not find it to be an issue here.
The overall feel of the place is that of a boutique hotel. It is a grand old building and you have to look at it as such and get over any "renovate to current fad" trends seen by most chains and appreciate the character of the interiors for what they are. The room was lovely and large enough for us which says a lot since we tend to "move in" where ever we go The bathroom with its vintage tile and worn wood sink counters and beautiful mural painted ceiling highlighted the attention to detail they aspire to. I found it to be well cleaned yet there's history there. I'm a clean freak in hotels and I was quite comfortable. The bed was heavenly with plenty of pillows, yes!
We needed a place to work and meet and there is a large "living room" area with sofas and comfortable tables/chairs along with an adjacent business center. This was an ideal setting to congregate and work privately.
I even managed to get a workout in in the fitness room - nice treadmill with my other requirement - a t.v. right smack in front of me. Heaven. Cold bottled water, yay.
Back to Il Fornaio. Room service was heaven I tell you! But the best surprise was when we went to the bar early one evening to find that their pizzas/appetizers and cocktails were all $5. And I'm talking about premium cocktails, you know, the $10 variety that you normally scratch your head over afterward when you do the math. I realize this is called Happy Hour but every one I'd ever encountered consisted of cheap well drinks and buffalo wings and frozen baby quiches, blech. And if and when you want to venture out there is an outdoor mall containing a variety of restaurant choices just steps away.
Because of how this trip unfolded we ended up spending a lot of time at the hotel proper. I began to feel a bit like Eloise at the Plaza though in a scaled down, middle aged woman in San Jose kind of way. But the warmness and welcoming feeling of every person on the staff combined with the consistently great food at Il Fornaio (and one very animated waiter from Tuscany) this business trip, which was filled with pressure and angst became a lovely experience.

Room Tip: Rooms facing inward are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

The Sainte Claire looks and feels like an older style hotel and the decor reminds you of older cosy hotels rather than modern ones. The room I got was smaller than modern hotel rooms but comfortable enough. The bathroom had a beautiful painted ceiling. The room faced the street however and there was constant noise from both people and trains passing below. Also, the TV was positioned to the side of the room and it was not comfortable to watch it from the bed.

Wifi Internet connection was provided free which was a refreshing change but it was very unstable and constantly disconnected. When asked about it the front desk staff where friendly enough but could not help.

Overall this is a nice cosy hotel if you are looking for a good downtown location, but it can get a bit noisy.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Kuna, Idaho, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

I never got a chance to stay here, due to some last minute complications, so I can't much. That brings me to me point: the staff here were very helpful. The aforementioned complications really were last minute, with me having to cancel less that 24 hours before I was to check in. Their site says "cancel by 3 pm the day before arrival" but my email said 6pm. I called to cancel, expecting to pay a fee. But instead, they thanked for bringing the inconsistency to their attention, and never charged me. So even, though i never stayed there, the customer service (at least over the phone) was great.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

Stayed at the Saint Claire for a week during a sales meeting. The hotel is really nice, the bedrooms are furnished very well and the place has a great old charm to it. Reminds me of a boutique New York hotel. My room had nice furniture a pretty large flat screen TV and a great bathroom. The tilework in the bathroom has to be old because it would be too expensive to do now. Make sure you check out the bathroom ceiling fresco. Some of my co-workes said the walls were thin, I could hear the guy in the next room coughing, but nothing that kept me from sleeping though.

I would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011 via mobile

Needs severe refurbishment. I have no idea how this hotel got good ratings. I live in hotels for work, and this one by far was the most uncomfortable creepy hotel. Everything was wet in my room. The towels were damp before I even turned on the shower. It clearly has a problem controlling the humidity so all the rooms had a very musty URINE smell. The only positive thing was the window could open to air it out.

• Stayed November 2011
Playa del Rey, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

If you like older, charming venues, then this classic hotel is right for you. The staff was friendly and extremely helpful. It began with the reservations desk. My reservation had been mistakenly cancelled. Just prior to arriving, I called and there was no record of my reservation. They went out of their way to help make accommodations for me and found me a room. The hotel rooms are very small, but elegant. I enjoyed the nice mix of ultramodern features like bathroom light and fan automatic sensors. Everything was clean and well appointed.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Sainte Claire? Share your experiences!