“Hidden Gem in Silicon Valley” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Sainte Claire

Save Saved
You added The Sainte Claire to your Saves list
The Sainte Claire
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   302 South Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113 (Formerly Hyatt Sainte Claire)   |
Ranked #25 of 72 hotels in San Jose
los angeles, california
“Hidden Gem in Silicon Valley”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I have to travel to the South Bay for work quite often and even though this hotel is a longer commute from my office, I always stay here because of the charm, the amazing beds and the helpful staff. And unlike most places in the South Bay, you can walk to several cute bars and restaurants and not have to deal with driving. It's an old beautifully restored hotel that is even on the registry of National Historic Places. I recommend getting a room on the 6th floor where the large windows are just lovely.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

271 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

My wife and I stayed in the hotel for three days. We were quoted a more expensive rate than my friends, who we were traveling with, and on a promotional fare (3rd night free). I was then given a city view room on the third floor overlooking a red light and the Marriott---where I will be staying the next time I am in San Jose. Nice lobby…smaller rooms with paper thin walls---I was talking on my cell phone one morning to the pounding on the wall by my neighbor. The Italian restaurant had decent food but terrible service. This is a case of the hotel looking very nice but just being adequate.

Room Tip: Avoid the
milpitas, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

We held our fundraising event at the Sainte Claire as well as staying Friday night. The staff was wonderful, awesome! From reservations, to catering, to front desk and everywhere inbetween. We staying in the same room as our wedding night so many years ago and the specialness was still there.
Thank you Elizabeth, Hilary, Raul and the band of merrymen/women that not only made our event great but our stay as well.

Tempe, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

My wife and I purchased a standard king bed room through a Living Social special offer for a one-night stay on our honeymoon at the Sainte Claire. Upon arrival, we were upgraded to the Montgomery Suite which apparently rents for $620/night for free. The hotel was exceptionally accommodating, breakfast was good, the location was great and the staff were very helpful with the location and things in the area.

Suisun City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

The room was clean, the service was great. Ordered my deal through Livingsocial.com. However, I plan to use the hotel in the future.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Gold River, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

My co-worker and I stayed at the St. Claire for a hairshow this weekend. I have never stayed in San Jose before and wanted to make sure we were close to the event because, being 2 women in a town you've never been in can be a little scary! This hotel was right across the street from the McCreery Convention Center and downstairs in the hotel is one of our FAVORITE restaurants Il Fornaio! Althought there isn't a regular parking entryway when you pull up, the valet was right there to direct us where to go (and parking was ONLY $21 a night!!!). The hotel itself is like walking back in time, it is BEAUTIFUL! It is VERY clean and the rooms were so elegant. The bathroom had a handpainted "skylight" effect which also was very cool. There is a place downstairs to sit and listen to piano, watch tv, sit and have a drink, there is an exercise room and plenty of space to have a big event, oh and we could actually SLEEP, usually i hear kids running around or the walls are thin and you can hear the people next door, the hotel was basically booked and I didn't hear a peep! Staff was so nice and polite, I wish we could have stayed longer! Thanks again St. Claire!

Room Tip: i called the hotel direct and got $30 off
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Mostly CA, some FL & UT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

The property is elegant, beautifully restored, the staff were friendly and efficient, the room was not particularly large, but spacious and well-appointed. There is free internet (big on my list), coffee, and even a big bowl of Bit-o-Honey at registration. Not much bad I can say – except …

I was offered, and opted for, a city-view room, which I was forewarned was a bit noisy due, in particular, to the trolley system that runs through town. Little did I know, that would be the least of it.

After a nice dinner with a colleague at the hotel restaurant, the Italian one (quite good for a chain), I removed the 7000 pillows from the bed and tucked in. the noise was, indeed, sleep-disrupting, but it had nothing to do with the sounds o’ the city. The guy (I assume it was a guy, though I really can’t be sure) in the room next to me was snoring so audibly as to be heard through the walls, and, ultimately, through the pillows (thankfully there were plenty of them) that I piled on my head. To no avail … I could not get the din sufficiently muffled to induce slumber (and I am not a particularly light sleeper) - this was some kind of all-penetrating sound that the military might want to explore.

I was surprised at first that walls of such an old well-constructed property would be so thin. But then as I reflected more (I had a lot of time for reflection, not sleeping and all …) I figured that this could not be the hotel’s fault. This guy was a world-champion snorer. He had the full gamut of sounds, gasps, wheezes, gulps, chainsaw, tuba, freight train … you get the idea. A breathe right nasal strip was not going to cut it for this guy … he was a serious candidate for laser-assisted uvulopalatoplasty (no, not a doctor, I googled that), which, I think, is like the rotor-rooter of the nasal passages. When he actually did stop for a minute or two, I became fearful that he had expired from obstructive sleep apnea. My fears were soon allayed as the orchestra began a-new. The passing trolleys provided enough of a respite for me to ultimately catch a wink or two.

So, well, this is not an indictment on the hotel … it is fine. But I know from nearly 25 years on-the-road that every once in a while there is an experience so ‘interesting’ it negates the comfort of even the most luxurious hotel. My employer is undoubtedly happy – I got a lot of work done in eight hours of not-sleeping.

Room Tip: Get the city view ... ;-)
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Sainte Claire? Share your experiences!