“Amazing staff!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown

You added Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown to your Saves list
Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   282 Almaden Boulevard, San Jose, CA 95113 (Formerly Convention Plaza Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
Join Hyatt Gold Passport®
Ranked #19 of 74 Hotels in San Jose
“Amazing staff!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I just recently stayed at this hotel with a few hundred of my business partners.. It was great! The staff where very accommodating with our request, Especially Jeffery!! who was very helpful to my partners and I, thanks Jeffery! .. Just ask for Jeffery!

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Tasha S, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Charles,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about the Hyatt Place San Jose. We are proud of our team and the excellent customer service we provide. We are also very proud to have Jeffrey as part of our team.

We look forward to having you with us again in the future.

Catherine H.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Review for stay in early October 2012 Room 911 and in early November 2012 floor 8 Room # unknown.

I would have rated this hotel a 4 had I only stayed here once but it got knocked down to 3 based on my two stays in October and November. This hotel was recently renovated earlier this year when it changed names to Hyatt Place so the look and lout of the rooms is fairly new and clean looking. The rooms have a sitting areas with a medium sized couch which is "divided" but a small decorative panel from the bed area. The room contains a large screen flat panel TV and a desk areas to work from with free WiFi which required an access code provided when you check in. Both rooms I stayed in looked pretty clean but upon closer inspection I found that the floors hadn't been vacuumed very well as I found toe nail clippings in both rooms. The first room had clippings by the wall floor mounding next to the TV which wasn't really noticeable unless you looked closely. More disturbingly the second floor had a lot of nail clippings on the couch and sitting area and I didn't notice them until i went to sit down and felt them. Since both rooms in different floors had essentially the same problem I can only guess that house keeping is rushed and doesn't do a good job at vacuuming or the same house keeper "cleaned" both rooms and just did a poor job at it.

In general once you look passed the toe nail clippings the rooms were fairly nice and very roomy with a large sitting area and very comfortable beds. Room 911 faced the parking lot structure and Park Ave and was very quiet at night since you don't get all the noise from the light rail and people walking around. This room also had a quiet working AC unit which was controlled by a digital panel on the wall. The room on the 8th floor faced W San Carlos St and was noisy due from the street noise and also a loud AC unit which had a broken digital panel so it had to be controlled directly from the knobs on the unit. If you plan to stay here I highly suggest you stay in room facing Park Ave as this will be the quietest section of the hotel (I read this before staying here and didn't' really thing it mattered if I stayed on the higher floors but please believe me that if you stay on a room facing W San Carlos St you will not get much sleep if you're a light sleeper).

Both rooms were essentially identically with the same bathroom layout and large walk in showers. They both had a large desk, coffee maker, and small refrigerator under the TV to store drinks, etc. I especially liked the fact that they provide you with a small tube of tooth paste so you don't have to run out to get some if you forget yours. Room 911 had a sliding door to the bathroom with a really hard lock mechanism which took a few minutes to engage, the room on floor 8 had a regular door with a standard lock.

The hotel lobby is nicely renovated and inviting with a small bar area and eating area behind the check-in desk. If you are looking for a drink you can try the bar but don't expect much other then a small selection of bottled beer and Wine. I would recommend you walk around as you'll find plenty of nice bars and restaurants within walking distance which should have far better selections. This hotel offers breakfast with your stay so if you get up early enough you can go downstairs and enjoy a nice small breakfast as they offer a pretty nice selection of breakfast sandwiches, pancakes, fruit, cereal, coffee & tea, juices, yogurt, and oatmeal. The breakfast selection was actually pretty good for a free breakfast and not the typical continental breakfast other hotels server.

Overall this hotel was pretty good specially with the added breakfast in the morning but they really need to ensure house keeping does a better job at cleaning the rooms.

Room Tip: For quieter night request room facing towards Park Ave and NOT W San Carlos St.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello,

We appreciate your time writing this review. We pride ourselves in providing excellent customer service and providing clean and safe rooms. Our team will utilize your review as a training tool and ensure that each and every one of our rooms are clean and are up to standards.

We hope that you come visit us again.

Ann Arbor, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This is my third time in three years staying at the same "property", but my experience has been a bit different each time. My most recent experience has been at a completed and newly redesigned hotel.

The hotel staff tries extraordinarily hard to make guests welcome and familiar with their new hotel. They seem proud of the hotel and happy to be there.

Comments, observations:

1) The wi-fi was typically very good although it was excruciatingly slow (to the point of being unusable) on my first night. As it was late and I was too tired to follow-up, I put my computer away until the next morning, when the wi-fi performance was worlds faster. In talking to a front desk person later in the week, they apparently resolved the performance problem that night, which appeared to have been another guest consuming all the hotel's Internet bandwidth.

2) The breakfast was a very nice touch. Good selection of options. I do wish their "Starbucks" corner sold Chai Lattes, though.

3) Exercise room was pretty nice in general. The LifeCircuit ellipticals and treadmills were equipped with integrated cable TV viewing capabilities. I do wish they had a whirlpool.

4) The food selection was reasonable for a hotel without a dedicated restaurant per se. There are some nice restaurants nearby, which filled in some of the gaps in their menu.

I do wish the hotel was a bit less expensive. In my last three visits, the price has increased perhaps 15% per visit. This said, it is perhaps one of the more reasonably priced hotels in downtown San Jose. If one has car, better values can certainly be found outside downtown San Jose.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The staff at the Hyatt Regency Hotel was amazing. They were so accomidating of my less common needs, including shipping a few items to a co-worker, serving a slightly late breakfast, providing directions and even getting me and a co-worker a board and marker for a meeting we were having in the lobby. Jeffrey especially was very helpful! I will stay here again next time I come into San Jose!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Tasha S, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Jessica,

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are glad that you had an enjoyable stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Palm Springs CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I love this hotel!
The room rates are good, the free breakfast is excellent.
The rooms are good sized, with comfortable beds and very clean.
And, the staff is very attentive and friendly.
Great location in downtown San Jose.
Close to the light rail and other places that are within walking distance of the hotel.
Will definitely be back again.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Great hotel and the staff was excellent! I travel a lot for work and stayed at many Hyatt brand hotels, but this hotel specifically really impressed me. Everyone was really attentive and friendly. And a special thanks to Erin who always greeted me with a smile from the second I walked in to check in, during breakfast, when she came up with a new key so I wouldn't have to go downstairs or whenever she saw me. Erin was very helpful with setting up my transportation, recommending where to eat and anything else I needed helped. She even remembered that I need a Mountain Dew every morning! And the customer service she provided for me, she did for everyone I saw her encounter with which shows that she's not only great at her job, but she loves it.

The free breakfast and wifi are bonuses. Traveling as much as I do, the little things count and feeling warm and welcome is always nice. I will definitely come back when I am in San Jose again and will recommend to my colleagues.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Tasha S, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown, responded to this review, October 24, 2012

Tasha Silva
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed at the Hyatt for an event our company was running. The food was excellent and very well priced. Staff at the desk were very friendly and happy to help. Great atmosphere around the place.

Rooms were well presented and well kept. The facilities are clean and modern. I would recommend staying here on business or for pleasure.

Special mention to both Jose and Norberto. Great guys and extremely helpful members of staff. Always on hand to help out and assisted me with anything I needed. Efficient and always friendly - they made my life much easier! I'll definitely be encouraging my office to return next year.

Tasha Silva

Been to Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown? Share your experiences!