“"New" hotel with nice updates” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown

You added Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown to your Saves list
Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   282 Almaden Boulevard, San Jose, CA 95113 (Formerly Convention Plaza Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #21 of 74 Hotels in San Jose
Ann Arbor, MI
“"New" hotel with nice updates”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This is my third time in three years staying at the same "property", but my experience has been a bit different each time. My most recent experience has been at a completed and newly redesigned hotel.

The hotel staff tries extraordinarily hard to make guests welcome and familiar with their new hotel. They seem proud of the hotel and happy to be there.

Comments, observations:

1) The wi-fi was typically very good although it was excruciatingly slow (to the point of being unusable) on my first night. As it was late and I was too tired to follow-up, I put my computer away until the next morning, when the wi-fi performance was worlds faster. In talking to a front desk person later in the week, they apparently resolved the performance problem that night, which appeared to have been another guest consuming all the hotel's Internet bandwidth.

2) The breakfast was a very nice touch. Good selection of options. I do wish their "Starbucks" corner sold Chai Lattes, though.

3) Exercise room was pretty nice in general. The LifeCircuit ellipticals and treadmills were equipped with integrated cable TV viewing capabilities. I do wish they had a whirlpool.

4) The food selection was reasonable for a hotel without a dedicated restaurant per se. There are some nice restaurants nearby, which filled in some of the gaps in their menu.

I do wish the hotel was a bit less expensive. In my last three visits, the price has increased perhaps 15% per visit. This said, it is perhaps one of the more reasonably priced hotels in downtown San Jose. If one has car, better values can certainly be found outside downtown San Jose.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The staff at the Hyatt Regency Hotel was amazing. They were so accomidating of my less common needs, including shipping a few items to a co-worker, serving a slightly late breakfast, providing directions and even getting me and a co-worker a board and marker for a meeting we were having in the lobby. Jeffrey especially was very helpful! I will stay here again next time I come into San Jose!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Tasha S, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Jessica,

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are glad that you had an enjoyable stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Catherine
Palm Springs CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I love this hotel!
The room rates are good, the free breakfast is excellent.
The rooms are good sized, with comfortable beds and very clean.
And, the staff is very attentive and friendly.
Great location in downtown San Jose.
Close to the light rail and other places that are within walking distance of the hotel.
Will definitely be back again.

Hello,

Catherine
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Great hotel and the staff was excellent! I travel a lot for work and stayed at many Hyatt brand hotels, but this hotel specifically really impressed me. Everyone was really attentive and friendly. And a special thanks to Erin who always greeted me with a smile from the second I walked in to check in, during breakfast, when she came up with a new key so I wouldn't have to go downstairs or whenever she saw me. Erin was very helpful with setting up my transportation, recommending where to eat and anything else I needed helped. She even remembered that I need a Mountain Dew every morning! And the customer service she provided for me, she did for everyone I saw her encounter with which shows that she's not only great at her job, but she loves it.

The free breakfast and wifi are bonuses. Traveling as much as I do, the little things count and feeling warm and welcome is always nice. I will definitely come back when I am in San Jose again and will recommend to my colleagues.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Tasha S, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown, responded to this review, October 24, 2012

Tasha Silva
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed at the Hyatt for an event our company was running. The food was excellent and very well priced. Staff at the desk were very friendly and happy to help. Great atmosphere around the place.

Rooms were well presented and well kept. The facilities are clean and modern. I would recommend staying here on business or for pleasure.

Special mention to both Jose and Norberto. Great guys and extremely helpful members of staff. Always on hand to help out and assisted me with anything I needed. Efficient and always friendly - they made my life much easier! I'll definitely be encouraging my office to return next year.

Tasha Silva

Sheets: crisp
Towels: ok
Bed: firm
Breakfast: free, lotsa variety

We stayed here one night so that I could attend the Madonna concert. Here are some things you should know:

This hotel is in the direct flight path of landing jets. It will be noisy. While you are close to restaurants, museums, and the convention center- the parking is ridiculously expensive.
Our room was located on the 7th floor and on the convention center side. Keep your drapes closed, the building gets blasted by morning heat and will warm up the room and flood it with light. We liked the spaciousness of the room but the furniture was worn and scratched up. The bathroom is small but clean.

• Stayed October 2012
Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

The Hyatt is a nice hotel located within walking distance of HP Arena. We stayed there to attend a concert. We were pleased there were many restaurants within a 5 minute walk. The hotel was clean, safe with a nice free breakfast. The only thing lacking, which is minor, they didn’t have a hotel store and no stores nearby like Wal-Green, 7-11 nearby. Overall, a good experience. I would stay there again without hesistation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown? Share your experiences!