“Nice rooms, friendly staff and economical rates, what else one need...!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Elan

You added Hotel Elan to your Saves list
Hotel Elan
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1215 South First Street, San Jose, CA 95110 (Formerly Howard Johnson Express - San Jose)   |
Ranked #64 of 74 Hotels in San Jose
“Nice rooms, friendly staff and economical rates, what else one need...!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011 via mobile

As I mentioned already... It worked very well for me.

• Stayed April 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

We shouldn't complain, they allow dogs. Don't be fooled by the "renovated" part...they have a fresh paint job but old everything else. It was a convenient spot close to everything and away from the airport but we thought we would wake up to broken windows. The night was quiet so I am thankful but if people walked by the windows were old and not at all soundproof. The comforter cover was from 1970 and the side chair had 4 stains. The “hot tub” had stains and the toilet seat was crooked and would slide around when you sat on it. The bath jets were so loud they would rattle your teeth and really had no power. There was coffee but no coffee maker.
What I liked…it had plenty of parking, they have some pretty flowers, not a lot of traffic noise, fridge in the room, good proximity to city.
What I didn’t like so much…Bring your shiv!

Room Tip: ask to be in the building not facing the street
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Burlington, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

This was by far the most disgusting hotel I have EVER stayed in, including international trips to Amsterdam and Mexico. The furniture was sticky, as was the floor. Bathroom was moldy, dated, and stained. The carpet had so many stains it was hard to tell what the actual color was supposed to be. The breakfast consisted of cereal DUST in a dispenser, a broken coffee maker, and gross juice. Had to go down the street to a Denny's. The front desk "clerk" if you want to call him that, had to be WOKEN UP to check us out when we left because he was sleeping. Also had about 25 facial piercings, which is fine, but not very professional. I had to stack furniture in front of my door, then wash my hands several times cause it was sticky. There was old food in the fridge as well that certainly was NOT mine. Absolutly disgusting, probebly be better to stay in a box on the side of the road.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Corona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

What a dump dirty , old furniture and a dump dont wast your money

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
N. CA.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2007

Travelocity is more expensive than booking direct so book direct! Area is city atmosphere but no problems, just mind your own business and don't be so judgemental on the way others live. The service and room are worth the price and the closeness to downtown is great. Breakfast was great, service over and above, room is what you pay for and a little more. If you are looking for somewhere to stay but not lounge I give them an A+. I have booked again and will stay here each time I visit my son attending SJSU! Thank you!

• Liked — service and location, clean
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Luis Obispo, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2007

Hotel named 'Howard Johnson Convention Center' - but it's a mile walk through a dicey neighborhood. Very misleading.

Also advertised on orbitz as 3 star. Bunk. 1 star. Most budget hotels I've been to did not have cigarette burns on the nightstand and carpet, holes in the bedspread, inoperative lights, rough floor under the rug or loose seats on the toilet.

Towels and blankets were thin (but it was warm so the blankets were no problem), AC was noisy and badly located so you had to find something to hold the drapes or it would blow them open.

The free breakfast - in the smallish lobby - did have a toaster and cereal. Coffee was OK. I'd rate that at a '2' rating. The TV worked well too (no premium channels - basic cable).

On second thought I think this is orerall a '1' rating and not 2. I did not get bug bites though. Maybe that's what a '1' is for.

• Liked — Address was accurate, though awkward to reach.
  • Disliked — Deceptive advertising (not near convention center, hardly 3 stars)
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Phoenix, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2007

I like to describe myself as frugal, some might call me cheap - but I can't see spending a lot on a hotel. During my travels I have stayed in plenty of inexpensive places as long as the rooms were clean and the hotel was in a reasonably safe area. I booked this hotel for a conference as it is only 1 mile from the conference center. That was one long mile! I agree that this hotel, in and and of itself is acceptable, however the neighborhood is NOT acceptable. A colleague and I were traveling together, we checked into the hotel and then walked in broad daylight to the convention center. We were actually solicited on the way (I am NOT joking, we were solicited at 4pm in the afternoon, right on the sidewalk)! We immediately went into the first hotel we came to (The Marriott) and when the front desk manager found out we were staying at the HoJo she "found" a room for us (the hotel was booked for the conference) and even gave us the conference rate, telling us there's no way she could let us stay in such an unsafe neighborhood. Women, please do not stay here alone, especially without transportation.

• Disliked — unsafe neighborhood
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Elan? Share your experiences!