“So-so in San Jo” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 72 hotels in San Jose
Seattle, WA. USA
“So-so in San Jo”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2005

Nice, charming historic building, but not without the problems of an old structure: flickering lights, unreliable plumbing/ water pressure, etc.... sometimes when I was in the shower, the water would just stop for several seconds at a time!
The fitness fitness center and its facilities are poor, at best.
As for the service, they try- but they seem to have their share of problems. If you use the valet parking, be sure to call for your car at least 1/2 hour ahead (even though they claim it will only take 10 minutes).
All in all, a nice hotel if you're just spending a night or two for leisure travel... definitely would not recommend it for the business traveller.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business

165 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2005

I stayed at this hotel after college club reunion down the street at the Tied house. This hotel is wonderful! I'm glad I didn't read all the negative reviews on this site before I booked my room because I would have missed out on a very pleasant stay. My room looked just like the room on their website and it was very clean. There was a large closet with a ironing board and iron and two bathrobes. The bathroom was a good size with Aveda toiletries! The bed was comfortable.

The lobby is beautiful and I didn't have a chance to check out the restaurant or the really nice bar area. I did raid the pantry at 1:30 am and was able to make a salami sandwich with cheese on bakery type bread. It didn't look picked over to me but maybe I was there on a less busy Saturday night.

Overall I would stay here again. The front desk was helpful and my visit was very comfortable. All the employees were nice and greeted me in passing.

• Stayed June 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2005

my husband and i stayed here -paid for their romance package and had a great time! we got a corner room which was much larger than the regular rooms. i am very picky about the bedsheet quality, pillows and how the bed is made/presented and with the hotel de anza, i had no complaints. it was surprisingly luxurious and the staff was very helpful and accomodating. we stayed during prom time (so there were a lot of teenagers spending the night at the hotel), plus the hotel was hosting a wedding, but we did not hear any of the guests 'partying' in the hallways. it was as if we were in our own world and we would definitely stay here again. my only complaint is the $30 parking fee, otherwise, i would have given it an 'excellent' rating.

Benicia, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2004

We stayed at this hotel and took advantage of the Special Events Package...it was great. There are plenty of nearby restaurants to choose from and it was a very easy and pleasant walk to the HP Pavilion. There was quite a crowd of people walking back to their hotels/parking after the event and so we felt "safe" even at 11 p.m. The hotel staff were great and the decor of the lobby and rooms was lovely. The real gem is the dining room which is decorated in a Spanish Mission stlyle with lovely bright colors. The breakfast was delicious with a great selection of sweet and savory items.
The late night "pantry" was a joke...we had to check it out, not because we were hungry but because we had read about how awful it was! Give it a miss and avoid the disappointment...bring your own midnight snacks. We slept very well as the bed was very comfortable and the noisy room heater was only minimally noticable (perhaps it blocked out the airport noise because that was not a problem.) The bathroom was gorgeous...great place for a long soak in the tub. We will certainly stay here again when in San Jose.

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2004

Stayed here on business in August, it was highly recommended by a friend in San Jose, and I'm glad I didn't read any of these other reviews beforehand! I was very impressed with the well-appointed and luxurious room, the service, the Italian restaurant downstairs... and the "Raid Our Pantry" was the icing on the cake. This is a very unique hotel and I will definitely stay here again when I come back to this area, which is something I don't say for most hotels I have visited.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2004

My experience at the Hotel de Anza was the worst I have experienced as a business traveler. Since I flew across country to San Jose, I arrived at the hotel at 1:30pm and they didn't want to check me in early although it was not crowded at all. My hotel room didn't have a coffeemaker or anything for tea in the morning. The advertised pantry food was mostly gone whenever I visited the pantry. The business center was management's offices which are closed on the weekend and after 5pm. It was too weird to used someone's desk and computer with their personal effects everywhere. The gym was a tiny room with no windows - too uncomfortable to use. The rooms are very noisy from outside traffic and early morning garbage pickups. I suggest skipping this hotel.

Sonoma County, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2004

I to did my research for Downtown San Jose hotels and read the reviews for the De Anza and it sounded fantastic.

We were in town for a concert taking at the nearby HP Pavillion. After perusing the hotel's website we chose the "Downtown Event Package" which included "the convenience of staying close to the excitement and complimentary valet parking. After the show you’ll be able to walk back to the hotel and have a drink in the Hedley Club or “Raid our Pantry” before relaxing in your luxurious guestroom. Includes overnight valet parking and a lavish breakfast buffet for two.

Here's why: Our room, while clean, was well worn. Baggage scuff marked the walls and elevators and displayed a general lack of detail awareness.

The hotel is directly beneath the landing zone for San Jose International Airport. This makes for even noisier hotel stay.

The after concert "Raid Our Pantry" feature was a complete scam. There are no late night restaurants open in downtown San Jose and the Hedley Club stops serving at 10 pm (according to an bored, indifferent cocktail server), therefore the pantry was our only option. We found it to be what it said, "raided." There were only scraps of food, discarded waste, a few cookie crumbs and a few slices of ham, white bread and lettuce. In essence, it was barren. We contacted the front desk who (also indifferently) advised us to "wait 10 minutes" so it could be restocked. A hotel representive did appear a short time later only to direct us to wait outside for 10 more minutes while he replenished the food. Needless to say we passed on his suggestion...

The "lavish breakfast buffet" the next morning was somewhat better.

Upon checkout we passed our comments on to the pleasant front desk clerk, who informed us that the pantry "does get like that on concert nights." Which puzzled us since the hotel was aware of the condition of the pantry, but did nothing to compensate for the lack of food and the mess.

Bottom line, our package (almost $200) at Hotel DeAnza was a disappointment. The overall experience was OK at best. I would not recommend or stay there again.

Been to Hotel De Anza? Share your experiences!