“Smart and modern” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
London, United Kingdom
“Smart and modern”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed for one night only and had a favorable impression. Arriving rather late (and that was no problem), it was good to be able to eat here despite the hour. The bed was so very comfortable and the room quiet and large. I suspect this may be a hotel used mainly by businesspeople rather than us vacationers, so perhaps it was not surprising that the hotel building did seem somewhat impersonal. Certainly it was all smart, clean and modern. The staff were most friendly, all of them, and nothing was too much trouble, whether at the front desk or at the front door or in the restaurant. The cooked breakfast was excellent. The location is good- within walking distance of the downtown area, light rail, Amtrak and so on.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for four nights. Late check in went smoothly, there was no wait, the hotel is not that big, therefore, for all the days I was there I never noticed a line at the front desk. The hotel is very conveniently located in downtown San Jose, less than a 10 minute walk to the HP Pavillion, and all very accessible to public transportation. The lobby and downstairs area are all very inviting, there seems to be some kind of Moroccan theme as decor. I never had to wait more than a minute for an elevator to my room. I stayed in a room with a king bed, the bed was very comfortable, the pillows a bit too high for my taste, but this is not a big deal, since most people prefer big, high pillows anyway. This did not prevent me from sleeping.

The room was cleaned every day, beds made, chocolates left, and the bathrooms were freshened. My one complaint is that the base of the taps at the sink looked like they needed more thorough attention, they were starting to get that pale orange grime that shows me that they were not being cleaned properly. This can be wiped away really easily with some bathroom product. Besides that, everything was clean, I personally like to travel with clorox wipes so I can wipe everything down before I use them. The bathtub was clean, I did not like the location of the place to put the soap because I clumsily managed to bump my elbow into it, ouch! Towels were replaced daily, I like to bring my own towel, so I did not have to use the hotel's. Robes were also available, but I did not use them. The mini TV in the bathroom is a nice touch.

The hotel is right by the flight path of landing planes, I heard them sometimes, but this did not bother me at all, it really is not that loud to disturb anyone. If you are from a big city, San Jose may seem a bit sleepy to you, there was very little traffic noise, previous guests have complained about that, but I did not experience any of this and when I stayed it was a very busy weekend. I did not visit the hotel's restaurant, there are plenty of restaurants just minutes away in all directions including a Starbucks, just two blocks away. The air conditioning worked great, but I barely had to use it because most nights very cool enough. The flat screen TV was in good working order, no problems there. The hotel does provide hangers, as well as an iron, so do not worry to bring those. The ice and water on every floor is very convenient. I did not use the fridge or honor bar.

I have no opinion on the parking situation as I do not have a car.
There is no place to warm up food brought from outside, it would be nice to put a microwave oven on the pantry floor that guests can use.
I believe there is a fee for wired internet, therefore I did not bring my laptop, I think this should be provided with the cost of the room. Overall, I was very happy with my stay and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Oldsmar, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I booked this hotel a day before my stay, looking for something reasonably priced and convenient for business. I was pleasantly surprised, for $189, to find an historic hotel, recently renovated, well-appointed and excellently staffed. The front-desk staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Fruit, cookies, newspapers, and other goodies were offered without charge. My car was handled efficiently and without delay whenever I needed it. Everything about the room was designed for comfort, from the darkening shades to the extensive beverage bar to the amazing selection of movies available. The restaurant is top-notch. I didn't have an opportunity to have dinner there, but breakfast was excellent.

For the price, I can't imagine a better value in this city, especially if you have business to attend to.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

We loved this hotel. We chose it to attend a SJSU graduation and, while the graduation was not on campus as we thought, it was still a great location. Nice to have in/out privileges with the valet parking.

Beautiful deco furniture, large room and bath. Very comfortable. We didn't get the opportunity to enjoy the complimentary breakfast but will try it next time when we go back to visit my niece who is still in college.

Creston, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Very happy with this property. The web site looked like it was nice, and it is. The staff is very friendly and the accomodations are really comfortable. We went with a bigger corner room, worth the extra. Walking distance to the pavillion even in my heels. And there are plenty of food choices within 3 blocks to cover what ever your hungry for. Plus they have a sandwich station for the mid-night snack which my husband thought was amazing! We will be back again.

Room Tip: They offer a package deal on the web page that has the valet parking, and breakfast for 2. You end...
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

Historic hotel with a high price tag. They only have valet parking. No internet in the room unless you brought your CAT5 wire and even then, they charge you. We had to go to the hotel lobby for free internet service. The rooms were very small, but the bed was comfortable and the hotel was quiet even though it was full.

Kitty Hawk, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

My daughter and her husband had scouted their new area and were excited about the appearance of the de Anza. Reserving two rooms many weeks in advance, we arrived with our two elderly parents...after transporting all the luggage to the rooms and getting them settled we went on to our room right next door. When we opened the door we were overwhelmed by the smell of sulfur/sewage. I immediately called the front desk. They explained that the hotel was completely full but hoped they could swap rooms with a guest who had not yet arrived. They said fumes sometimes come up from the drains in the bathroom and they could remedy the situation but would move us. They asked us to come back down to the front desk. We transported our suitcase and personal items and took the elevator to the lobby. Given new keys, we were off to the elevator, luggage in tow. When we opened the door to the 2nd room it was occupied... clothing and suitcase were on the floor but luckily the guest was not in the room. Again, luggage in tow we went back down to the front desk. They were more concerned that the other guest was not in the room and didn't know we had been in their room than the fact that we had made our third trip to the lobby in a matter of 20 minutes. They gave us another set of keys, with an apology and with luggage in tow (again) we entered the elevator for a trip to our 3rd room. This room was fine but the phone was not working. After crawling partially under the bed to check the connections I discovered that the power strip was turned off. I corrected this and the phone worked. This was important because our elderly parents had no idea where our room was or how to contact us. In my opinion, the inconvenience that we experienced was not properly acknowledged by the hotel staff. There was no offer to move our luggage for us. All three trips were unassisted. I did not plan to write a review of this type against what appears to be a fine hotel with comfortable accommodations. They may be understaffed and were not properly prepared for a "full house." However, they requested that we fill out a survey (sent to our email). We explained all of this in the survey - there was no indication it was anonymous. We got no response from the hotel and it has been a week, so I decided to post this review on Trip Advisor. Sorry Hotel de Anza...busy or not - when I am paying 4 star prices for two individual rooms I expect more than 2 star service.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family