“Nothing wrong with it” 3 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2460 Fontaine Road, San Jose, CA 95121   |
Ranked #27 of 73 Hotels in San Jose
“Nothing wrong with it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

This was a blind booking without any research. We needed somewhere to stay between Napa Valley and the coast. We also wanted to be able to say "we knew the way to San Jose"!

We wish we hadn't.

The room was clean and comfortable. The site is right next to a busy freeway and therefore most of the rooms were let to truckers. We felt uncomfortable but that was only down to our personal opinion. We had no trouble and there was no noise after 10pm.

We needed a place to sleep that wasn't expensive. That's what we got.

If you're a tourist I'd say keep looking.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

I reserved 2 rooms because this hotel advertised itself as pet-friendly on TripAdvisor. During check-in, after driving a moving van 800 miles I was told by the Fontaine receptionist they do not allow pets. I pointed out the TripAdvisor listing, and was told that new management hadn't gotten around to changing it yet. I offered to pay an extra fee, and offered to keep our pet inside its carrier in the room, but they would not admit their error, and they would not let us in. They wouldn't even let my daughter use their restroom - I had to walk with her through their poorly lit parking lot, across the street, past a liquor store with a broken sign, to a Denny's, so she could use a restroom there. The Fontaine hotel staff and manager did not try to help find another place for us, and they expressed no sympathy at all. By contrast, after we made a reservation at another hotel we found on our own, only to be told on arrival they thought we were arriving at 3pm not at 3am, the night manager at this other hotel apologized for the error, expressed sympathy for our very long day, and called around and found us a room for the night at another hotel (which is pet-friendly). He didn't need to help us, but it was much appreciated. His kindness also highlights how horrible the treatment was at the Fontaine.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Mit P, General Manager at Fontaine Inn Downtown / Fairgrounds, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Guest,
I am extremely sorry to hear that your experience at our hotel was not pleasant. I see that the hotel amenities, listed on TripAdvisor, displayed that we are a pet friendly hotel. Unfortunately, this is not the case, and was an oversight on our part. I have made the change to our hotel profile on Trip Advisor, so that the information is correct, and future guest will not be misled. I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention.

As the general manager of the hotel, I would like to personally apologize for this situation, and for any inconvenience that this has caused you. I would also like to apologize on behalf of the Front Desk agent who was assisting you. It was unjustifiable that the Front Desk Agent did not allow your daughter to use our restroom. In addition, we should have provided assistance to you with finding alternate accommodations’. This is clearly a training issue, and I will speak with the agent, and provide more training, so that that my staff is better prepared to assist our guests in the future.

I take great pride in our hospitality at this hotel, and would like to thank you again for bringing this to my attention. Please feel free to call me if you need to discuss this with me further. Hoping that my sincere apologies will be kindly accepted.

Yours sincerely,
Mit P.
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

During my stay at Fontaine Inn, i found the location very easily accessible and close to major roads and higgways. The staff was very helpful and friendly. I would definitely recommend Fontaine Inn to family and friends.

• Stayed March 2014
Palo Alto, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

It was a good stay except for a couple of things. (1) little kid throw rocks at cars. (2) loud talking on cell phone around 3am outside the hallway. Other than all that Management was very nice. Comfortable bed and good HOT shower.

Room Tip: a lot of traffic to this place. This is near Asian Shoppes
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

very good clean rooms always can get a room we use this hotel we enjoy our stays alot of parking good service very good prices good breakfast need better coffee but over all you only need a place to sleep never had any problems here they do have a security gaurd

• Stayed March 2014
San Jose, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

I used to come here often but since ownership changed, I will not be back.

I showed up before check in time and the staff member reluctantly put me in the room early. I could tell they did not want to even though the room was available, but at least this staff member was pleasant.

The room:

The complementary shampoo and lotion were USED! There was not more than a dollop of lotion in the bottle but it was meticulously put back on display by the maid staff.

The plastic cups (all but one) were unwrapped from the protective plastic and restacked, which leads me to believe they were used, rinsed and I was expected to re-use them. Even if they were not used, they were covered in dust, and most likely fecal matter from every time the toilet was flushed. Also no lining in the dust covered ice bucket.

So, all I could think was, are my towels clean or were they just refolded from the last use, what about my linens? Are they clean or am I reusing those too.

Shower curtain covered in goey mold, It got on me, gross.

Finally, check out. I get a call minutes after 11am to rush me out of the room by a rude female staff member. When I get down stairs, I sit and listen to her argue with another guest over the phone about him coming down to pay for an additional day. Then she repremands me for being late on my check out. Her parting words "IF you stay with us again checkout is at 11". Emphasis on the word if, AS IF I WANT to stay at a low end hotel with staff that makes there guest feel like a burden, where they count money in minutes, and expect you to REUSE product because they are too cheap. No thanks, this will not be my go-to hotel anymore, there are several others in the area, I'll try them first.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
WINCHESTER,CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Close to 101 freeway. Easy on and off ramps. Restaurants close by - Denny's, Jack in the box, Chuck-E-Cheese pizza. Nice rooms. Has refrigerater in room. Good Truck Parking. Breakfast very convenient. Dishnetwork on Television in rooms.

• Stayed January 2014

Been to Fontaine Inn Downtown / Fairgrounds? Share your experiences!