“Very nice hotel at an excellent price” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #9 of 71 Hotels in San Jose
Apache Junction, Arizona, United States
“Very nice hotel at an excellent price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This Best Western recently underwent a face lift and it was well worth it. The room was large, well appointed, and the bed was super comfortable. I love the little touches like the marble counter tops, the crown molding, and the tile floor entrance to our room. The closet was huge! The internet was plenty fast and the customer service was top notch. The only complaint I have is that the televisions were programed to only be turned up to 30 and for two adults who are not hard of hearing, it was too low. The clerk was not able to turn them up. And, it seems that the hot water is set for a certain temperature that is comfortable but won't get very hot. I realize that's a safety thing, but I would have liked a slightly warmer shower. Those two things won't stop me from staying there in the future, but I sure would like them to address those two issues.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Camden, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stayed at the BW Airport Plaza Hotel during their construction phase. The second floor appeared to be about 85% done. They still had signs that needed to be attached to the doors and the stairwell was probably going to be last on the list due to it being subject to traffic from the first floor which was very much under construction.
However, despite the questionable exterior, my room was beautiful. The room was done in warm chocolately browns and other earth tones. It offered the basic amenities--king size bed, desk, sitting ottoman, and well done bathroom--but the bed was SO comfortable and the colors were absolutely inviting.
They also offered breakfast in the morning. You get to choose from various cereals, yogurt, a couple different coffees and other beverages. They also had one of those belgian waffle flip irons--that was my breakfast. :)
The hotel is super easy to get to and is located on one of the "main drags" of San Jose--The Alameda. That street becomes Santa Clara as you get further east but it's the same road that the convention center is on. I-880 is very accessible to the hotel and Hwy 101 isn't too far of a drive. I loved driving that main road at 7 in the morning when there was very little traffic. It gave me a chance to see what was along the road without impeding traffic.
The only "con" that I encountered--you can hear road noise from the room. I was at the very end of the building and could hear even the "ding dong" of the crosswalk signal. On a side note, there is no workout room. Other than that, I recommend this hotel for short stays in San Jose.

Room Tip: Pick one away from the street.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I was surprised to see how great the hotel looks after the renovations done. the first thing i noticed was the extended lobby and breakfast area. It is alot more spacious, well decorated, and overall a major change. the staff was friendly and courteous as well which is a major plus. The second floor also went through some major renovations and did not mind paying a little extra for the deluxe renovated rooms.The entire hallway looks so much better and elegant with freshly painted walls and new carpet. The new deluxe rooms are in immaculate condition with new carpet, bathroom tile, beds and furniture as well as a flat screen tv and dvd player, well above most budget hotels and some not so cheap ones. Free wifi, parking and continental breakfast is always a plus, i dont get those hotels that charge you extra for basic hotel needs.Overall the stay was better than i expected satisfying all my needs and comfortable, clean rooms. I did not rate it a 5/5 because it is not a 5star hotel but it feels like one.

Room Tip: deluxe rooms are a major upgrade from regular rooms
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Durham, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

This was a good hotel to book for a short stay in the San Jose area. Similar to other reviewers, I would probably not book this if I were on vacation. I went at the end of November 2011 when they were undergoing renovations but I still had a good time there - the room was quiet and a good size, the bed was comfortable. It was quite chilly outside and the blankets and pillows were great. No problems with anything. The only thing I did not like and had not expected was that it is not a "closed" hotel. What I mean is that anyone can knock on your room door without having gone past front desk because the front desk is kind of separated from the rooms portion of the hotel. The hallways are also exposed to the outside (there is no door that closes off the halls leading to the rooms from the outside) so it was chilly in the halls. Also, there is not much around the hotel within a 5 minute drive. Our first night there, we drove around and only found one place open for dinner (a fried chicken place). Later on, we realized we needed to drive maybe 10 minutes to the Alameda. However, I was there with family and we got a good price for 2 rooms.

Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Exactly what you would expect from a Best Western in the rooms, basic and predictible. However the breakfast was below average, with minimal choices and I made the mistake of accepting a room facing the busy street -- windows were not well insulated for noise or comfort. Great location close to Santa Clara and the airport.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get a street side room -- deceptively quiet at 10pm, surprisingly noisy at 7...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

This is a convenient place to stay in San Jose, esp if you're there on business. If you're going on vacation, there are surely more centrally located hotels that are nicer. This place won't break your per diem, but it's very modest. Wifi is free, but a big bonus is cabled network connection in the room. Cable tv channels feature a decent selection. My gripes were the low water pressure(but I think this is part of it being in California with all it's conservation rules) and the lackluster complimentary breakfast because it featured no meat, just cereal, oatmeal, pastries, yogurt, juice and waffles. Bonus:Gas station just across the street.

Room Tip: The street noise can be annoying, so be sure to get a room on the backside of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Greenfield, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

I stayed here mid-week in order to do some business nearby. I chose this based on my past history with the Best Western chain, which has generally been good.

When I went to check in, the person at the front desk didn't seem to want to move away from her laptop and surfing the web in order to check me in. Even after checking me in (signing, initialing, giving my car information), she proceeded to hand me my key and turn back to her laptop. I had to actually ask her what my room number was!

Along with other reviewers on this site, I was somewhat amazed to find that you went outside to get to the elevator or stairs, and it dumped you into an 'interior' hallway! The 'interior' hallway was cold, and the decor was dated, but it was clean and smelled fresh.

The room (I was in 115) was interesting to say the least. It had a king size bed and a fold-out couch, but there was no room to fold out the couch! There was a coffee table, a chair, the desk chair, and the desk all shoehorned into the side of the room, and it was impossible to open the couch (not that I needed it, though).

The desk was nice sized.. there was a 2008-9 edition of the Best Western directory in it, which seemed a bit weird. The Wireless was only mediocre, and very slow. I wonder if she was using most of the bandwidth at the front desk.

The bed was very comfortable, which surprised me. There weren't enough pillows, and I was told that there weren't any more... there was no bedding for the fold-out couch either. I guess they took the '1 guest' literally and took out the rest of the bedding and towels!

The decor was very dated -- but the room was comfortable. The alarm clock being on top of the TV was a bit weird as well. But the room did include a TV (non-LCD), a DVD player, a refrigerator, a microwave, a coffee pot, and -surprise- a whirlpool tub. (I didn't have time to partake of it, but it looked well kept up.).

I don't know if I'd stay here again, as it was a bit out of the way from my work location, but it was a nice stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to BEST WESTERN Airport Plaza? Share your experiences!