“Good value” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 73 Hotels in San Jose
Tampa, Florida
“Good value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

The hotels in this area are very inexpensive. This is the least expensive of all the surrounding hotels. It is a remodeled older hotel. The rooms are clean but not attractive. The service was courteous. They have a small continental breakfast, nothing to write home about but there was fresh fruit and decent coffee. The pool looks cared for but I have not used it. It is in a very good location with many restaurants around it. It also has a small refridgerator and coffee maker in the room. I stay here whenever I need to come here for business.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Korean first
Indian Head, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012 via mobile

I guess for the price it's fine. It's really just a great location for the price. Kind of gross though.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Loma Linda, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012 via mobile

Convenient location, close to museums and airport.
I booked this hotel in a rush and just trusted some good reviews however I was so disappoited and I will not stay here again. The non smoking room smelled like someone had been smoking in the room before. Even I spayed with air freshener (that kills bacteria), but the stinky smoke smell came back after an hour. I was too tired to change the room (I might have gotten the worse one). Also there was a lound noise from a bar across the street.

• Stayed April 2012
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Rooms spacious and clean, swimming pool outside and although we didn't use it looks clean. Staff super friendly and cant do enough for you. Breakfast room newly decorated and plenty of choice for breakfast. I would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Worth booking a room with 2 double beds as they are so much bigger
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

First, the good - the staff during the day were excellent, very friendly and professional. And the hotel, while not in the best neighborhood, is very convenient to the convention center. Lastly, for this type of hotel, the breakfast was better than expected.
The rooms were ok, mostly clean but had seen better days. The showerhead was nearly useless, jammed up with sediment, and a broken outlet cover stayed broken my entire stay. The hotel internet connection was a joke, so painfully slow that I used my droid for internet most of my time in the room.

The walls were very thin, and I could hear all conversations to the rooms on either side of mine, as well as above and below. Fortunately the rest of the guests were very quite after 11pm during my stay. Also, all of the rooms opened to the outside (rather than internal hallways) and if I were traveling alone, I would not want one of the ground floor rooms, which opened directly into the (unguarded) parking lot.

I would stay here if I was a college student, or trying to save total cash, but next time that I travel on the company dime, I'll go to one of the other hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Get a 3rd floor room, no noise from above. There is an elevator.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
california
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

OK, let me start by saying the day I checked in (Friday afternoon) I was greeted by friendly female staff members at the front desk. They were quick, efficient, and I was allowed to check in an hour earlier than the standard 3pm time as stated. My room was clean, although a bit worn and in need of some minor maintenance, and everything was fine until the noise from the clubbers on first street kept me awake much of the night. The next morning, I requested to be moved from my room on the third floor (321) to a room closer to the center of the hotel. The Saturday morning desk clerk told me I would have to wait until 10AM to request this change, which I did. A different manager was on duty and I repeated my request to him to change rooms explaining that it was a problem with noise from the street, not from any noise from the hotel as to why I wished to move to a quieter room. He stated that the hotel was booked for Saturday night, and that I would not be able to move to another room. I asked if there was a clean room I could move into before the maids cleaned my room, as I was staying a second night and it would not make any difference if the hotel was booked if there was a room still available to move me into. He said "No, all the rooms are reserved for the locations requested". I told him I read on their policy that specific room choices could not be guaranteed, and that if the request was for a third floor room, then mine would be available after it was cleaned, and that I could move into one of at least three rooms I knew to be vacant at the time. He told me to wait until 3 or 4 PM and if there was a cancellation, I could move to one of those rooms.
I waited until my room had been cleaned by the housekeeper, then went into the office to tell the manager that I needed to move if the room I wanted was available. He said "No, sorry but there is nothing I can do...you will need to stay in the room you are in."
I walked back up the stairs and looked in the window to see that there were still two rooms vacant and clean close to the elevator in the middle of the hotel. I returned to the front desk and asked him why it was a problem if nobody was in either of those rooms and again, he stated that the rooms were assigned and he could not change it. As much as I wanted to say "[--], I held my tongue. I decided to check out that night rather than lose another night sleep, and went back to my room, disgusted that this day manager was either too lazy or incompetent to figure out how to re-assign a room. Later that evening, I went back to the desk and found the night manager who asked me why I was checking out. I told him it was because I did not get a good night's sleep on Friday night and that I was going to find a new hotel for Saturday night, even tho my room was paid for. He said I have another room I could put you in, but if you used the room after it was cleaned, I cant sell it because the maids had all left for the day. This is what angered me...why was it that the night manager could have moved me but the day manager could not? I give the hotel good rating for comfort, cleanliness, and proximity to the Convention Center and San Jose State University, but I give the Saturday Hispanic desk manager a zero for his unwillingness to figure out how to move me to the room that was vacant when I requested it.

Room Tip: choose a room away from the first street side if noise bothers you. Also, upper floor rooms are quie...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Barely acceptable. Front desk clerk was not dressed professionally (probably isn't paid enough). Rooms were cleaned, but not clean. Bed was adequate, but on this trip we stayed at multiple locations of La Quinta which is lower priced and they all represented a better value. The neighborhood here appeared to be "sketchy", but we were told we could walk to restaurants which we did. I would not recommend or go back to this place. It was cheap and the establishment reflected that.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to Ramada San Jose Downtown? Share your experiences!