“Just ok” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Village California Bistro and Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #121 of 1,953 Restaurants in San Jose
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Winchester & Stevens Creek
New York City, New York
“Just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Had a business dinner here. Lovely outside seating. The food was just ok. Had the squash soup which had raisins in it which was weird but ok tasting. Had the filet which was tough. The potatoes served with it were bland. The dessert was panna cotta was just ok. Service was good. Would not return.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“We went three times in four days it was so good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Whether you sit indoors or outdoors on the street along Santana Row you will love the food, atmosphere, and service. Fresh, locally grown, organic foods are used to prepare each outstanding dish. We went for lunch, dinner on Friday, and brunch on Saturday and it was all excellent! Fresh Ono from Hawaii was especially good as well as the fish and chips and the pot de creme dessert. I suggest reservations.

Visited September 2012
Zurich, Switzerland
“Nice wine list”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

What I like about this place is that even though is located in Santana Row, where is always hard to find a place where you don't have to wait 40 minutes for a table, we have always been able to find a table here, from 2 people to up to a party of 10, we've never had a problem nor we have to wait long to be seated. Their food is good and they have an extensive wine list. They also serve generous wine flights. Their outdoor seating is also nice. I will go back

Visited September 2012
England
“In my opinion, the best restaurant in Santana Row”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We have had many lovely meals at The Village California Bistro on visits to San Jose over the last five years. On this latest visit in June, I ate at The Village California Bistro and Wine Bar three times - once with friends for lunch, once with my husband as a couple, and once as a family for my birthday celebration. All three meals were wonderful. The menu is innovative and changes with the seasons, and ingredients are locally sourced as much as possible. The service has always been good for us, and some of the waiting staff are exceptional, really going out of their way to make your dining experience a great one. You can sit outside or inside (reservations are only accepted for inside and for the side terrace) and the atmosphere is great either way.

I had the best Reuben sandwich ever on my lunch visit this time, and my husband and I enjoyed a wonderful asparagus starter followed by a delicious fillet of sole dish during our dinner a deux. In fact, I so enjoyed that meal that when we returned a few days later for my birthday celebration I ordered the same things! The waiter that evening had served us on previous visits and really made the evening. He brought complimentary amuse bouche (cod fritters) and after our meal he brought a piece of strawberry shortcake with ice cream topped with a candle. It was a fabulous meal and a lovely celebration.

If you love to enjoy good food in an elegant yet relaxed atmosphere, this is the place to go in Santana Row. It's great for couples, small groups and families too.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

I've dined at this restaurant many times and find the food, service and atmosphere great. Good bistro food with a menu with great choices. Try it!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere