“Pleasantly surprised...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 73 Hotels in San Jose
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Pleasantly surprised...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

After reading the reviews - I will admit that I was very reluctant about staying here. However, since it was the close to the airport and very affordable we decided to go ahead and stay here. Everyone was very nice including the reservationist, the check-in and check-out clerks and other staff that we encountered. Our room was bigger than what we expected roomy and clean. They provided quick transportation from the car rental place that night and took us back to the airport the next morning. Although I had access to free dependable internet service - they also have a business center where I was able to print out my boarding pass.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
nakspraks, Manager at San Jose Airport Garden Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2009
Dear Guest.

We thank you for your comments. we look forward to seeing you soon

Management - Holiday Inn San Jose

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Dallas, Tx
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

Apathetic staff, problems with the room, misleading restaurant promotions... I could make this a long story, but I'll keep it short: We were EXTREMELY unhappy with our stay there.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Massachusetts, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

I stayed here for 3 nights for the 2009 RNR 1/2 Marathon. Although we had a car, the trolley stops right out front, so the hotel is convenient to downtown and the surrounding area--a few minutes to the airport. The room was clean and quiet, although a little worn-but everything worked. There is a constant drone from the busy interstate running outside but that becomes more of a white noise. Hotel staff were friendly and responsive as needed. The place seemed secure. Hot tub was nice and clean. The pool is unheated--there are some ponds and fountains and statues on the property--rather peaceful and pleasant. We did not try the restaurant as I had seen some bad reviews and we were so close to downtown. We had a great rate, but would look at this hotel in the future as a great place to stay for the race.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
sf
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

The motel is not a 3 star. It is old, runned down, no AC in hallways, no elevators, pool is unkempt, dirty and concrete and tiles are cracked. Anyone can walk into the common areas and use the pool, no safety. Traveling as a woman it feels very unsafe, area is bad. Manager is unfriendly and spoke to me as if I was bothering him, keep in mind I was a priceline booking-therefore treated poorly in my opinion. Was barked at about provding a credit card and check out times. There is laundry carts/bins throughout the parking lot, the place is like a maze with about 8 different buildings. There is debris and lots of stuff such as : ladders, equipment, trash cans thoughout the parking lots.
I would never go back, in fact I am done using priceline as a result of such a motel being labeled a 3 star.

Stayed August 2009
Lakewood, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

We paid $55 for this hotel on priceline and we kept reminding ourselves of this throughout the weekend. This hotel was shabby and smelly. Our room (especially the bathroom) had a strong sewage smell. The grout in the bathroom looked suspicously black and the room windows were dirty. The outdoor look was worn down and the landscaping needed major work. The staff was not accomadating nor apologetic when we asked for a microwave and fridge (their website says available upon request). Breakfast was tasty, but very expensive as they do not offer a breakfast buffet. This hotel turned out to be the same price as Hiltons (I always get bed and breakfast there) once you add on the breakfast fee.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Rancho Cucamonga, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

I reserved for 2 queen size beds online and when I arrive there, the representative tells me that she can't accomodate me. She says this casually without even checking whether I paid in full which I did so she's telling me that I paid in full for nothing. So unapologetically, she offers me a room with 2 full size beds instead. This hotel should be demolished. I hate it and I'm never going to another Holiday Inn again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

I probably should not complain, as I got this hotel for something around $50 on priceline, and the staff was extraordinarily polite. But I will complain anyway.

When I checked in, the whole lobby smelled strongly like sewage. I think this is because there is an odd cage full of birds (??) just to the right of the desk - they are crapping everywhere and it really smells.

There are separate buildings here - you (and bad people) don't walk through the lobby to get to the rooms, you just open the door to any given building (key access but flimsy doors and no hotel staff within five minutes) to access the rooms.

We walked to a building way in the back, our room was on the first floor and it seemed horribly unsafe, what with the thin glass balcony doors (no balcony, just glass doors from the room to the outside) and seven foot high untrimmed bushes providing great cover.

Walked back to the lobby, requested a second floor room (they were very polite), and on the walk back some random guy sitting at the pool was staring at us. I stared back. He did not look away - for the whole five minutes it took us to walk by and get to our building. We walked around back and stopped at the car for a minute, and lo and behold Mr. Weirdo comes around the corner, following us. He was surprised that we were standing there so he just kept walking, but there was nowhere to go, so he stood in a corner, smoking a cigarette, watching us. He continued to watch us carry our stuff all the way around to see which building we went into.

Further sketched out, we got into our room and it STUNK. Terribly. I called the front desk, again they were very polite, and they sent a guy over with keys to another room. He was very nice and stunk like BO.

What is with the smells in this place??

Between the smells, the overall unsafe feeling, and the strange guy watching our every move (we would be there for five days, with me at work and my fiancee in the room every day), we checked out without ever seeing the new new room. Yes, I lost over $250 because I prepaid on priceline, it really sucks to do that, but that sucks less than sleeping in a dirty, smelly, weirdly configured room with a gross bathroom, staying on edge every night to kill whoever breaks into our room, and worrying at work every day if my fiancee wants to go out and use the fitness center or pool and Mr. Weirdo finds her.

Did I mention they were very polite?

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to San Jose Airport Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!