“Obviously has been a good hotel” 3 of 5 stars

You added San Jose Airport Garden Hotel to your Saves list
San Jose Airport Garden Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1740 North First Street, San Jose, CA 95112   |
Ranked #42 of 73 Hotels in San Jose
“Obviously has been a good hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Room is fine. Bed is very hard, top sheet not long enough to cover feet—and I'm only 5'5". Very nice bathroom. As I have an allergy to feathers, I asked to have the feather pillows changed. They brought ONE foam pillow, as though I wouldn't be impacted by the remaining 5 feather pillows. I gave the foam pillow to my husband, and put a bath towel into the pillow protector and pillowcase with which I always always travel. Dinner at the Bar and Grill was okay. Our meals were served on paper inside plastic baskets, but the burger I had was very good. Husband's fish and chips were okay. The room has all hard surfaces, so the 20 or so guests sounded like a hundred people screaming in a tiny room. There were only two waitresses serving, and I think cooking, the meals so the service was almost nonexistent. In fact, as I woke before my husband had to get up to start his organized bicycle ride, I drove home rather than staying to eat breakfast. Online there is mention of an Amalfi Bar and Grill, but the name Amalfi name only occurred on the little map we were given when my husband checked in. Reviews had suggested a finer establishment than I experienced.if I ever stay here again, I will bring my own pillow, and possibly my own blanket, as I'm not fond of heavy comforters in the summer. Wish I'd read more reviews, as it didn't know that all buildings with rooms are separate from the lobby or restaurant. The grounds are beautiful.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
sjcagardenhotel, Manager at San Jose Airport Garden Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
You have certainly provided an detailed description for your stay. Your feedback is quite helpful to our continuous improvement process. We will certainly take your suggestions into consideration in our efforts to make it more enjoyable for future guests. Thank you for your business and we hope to welcome the group back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I would like to commend some specific staff members of the hotel. Anthony at the reception desk was outstanding in listening to an issue and finding a satisfactory resolution. Francesco, a door man, (that sounds disrespectful but I don't know any other way to identify him), was super friendly, cheerful and welcoming. Lupe, house cleaning, made it a point to welcome me to the hotel, introduced herself and offered her assistance if any house keeping issue arose. All three of these people deserve commendation and they have earned my respect . These are the inter-personal relationships that help define a hotel and their impression was excellent.

Stayed July 2014
The staff can really make a big difference in a hotel stay and I was pleased to hear that you found our team friendly and helpful. Thank you for your business and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Room Division Manager
tahoe
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

With the great price for the Park and Fly package I knew I was getting a good deal and that I was not in a luxury hotel but it was just a creepy place...dark, underlit parking lots, outside areas, hallways. Our room looked out on a junk pile in back. Windows were open with no screens when we walked in. Noisy rooms where you could hear all your neighbors and running and screaming in the hallways in the middle of the night! When we arrived back from trip and needed to get our car, I had trouble getting anyone on the phone to request a pick up. One van arrived and could not fit all the passengers waiting!

• Stayed June 2014
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I would characterize this as a fancy motel instead of a hotel because it is necessary to walk outside in order to go from any of the rooms to the lobby or restaurant.

This property is older, but fairly well kept. That being said, there was a musty smell in the hallway and in my room. The smell might bother some people. During the day, the hallway was very hot.

After the first night I was there, I found a large spider near the tub. I subsequently kept the bathtub drain hole covered and did not see any more insects during the reminder of my stay.

The beds were too mushy for me and aggravated my back.

On the positive side, I much enjoyed walking through the classical, Mediterranean style courtyard. The best part about this motel is its close proximity to the airport.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Texas Gulf Coast, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed at this hotel on June 8th, 2014 and the room offered to us was smelling very bad. We called the room service and they came and sprayed some room freshner but the smell was still very bad. We then called front desk and got our room changed. Looks like a very old hotel which needs a lot of revamping.

Room Tip: The ground level rooms are better
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Nevada, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We chose the San Jose Airport Garden Hotel when we had a 24-hour layover between flights to Kauai. I will never stay at this hotel again. First of all, we had to call three times for a shuttle. The first time, no one picked up the phone at all. The second time, I still couldn't reach the shuttle office but the hotel operator said they would send a driver. About 30 minutes later I called again and was told that the shuttle driver had not been able to pick us up because there was no room in the van after he boarded guests at a different terminal. He would have to come back for us. Finally someone came and it took all of five minutes to get to the hotel. So much ado about nothing! At the hotel there is so much deferred maintenance that I didn't want to touch anything. The walls were dirty and the awning outside was torn and filthy. In our bathroom, it was apparent that attempts had been made to repair and paint the door frames, but the paint was globbed on thickly and it had seeped onto the tile floor. The hair dryer didn't work. The vending machines cost $2.25 for soda but wouldn't take a $5 bill. The breakfast buffet was cold. I could go on. Suffice to say that the only positive things about this place were the friendly staff and nicely groomed gardens.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
sjcagardenhotel, Manager at San Jose Airport Garden Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay. While I am pleased that you found our staff and garden grounds to be positive, I apologize for the less than satisfactory shuttle experience. Our drivers do need to confirm the hotel as there has been much confusion with the San Jose Airport Hotel, property located one street behind us. However, once confirmed by the guest that should be sufficient. I apologize for the wait and we will certainly re-check this room to insure that everything is in proper working order. We value your business and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Rooms Division Manager
Philadelphia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I was here for a work related event. The room was clean and comfortable but a bit small. The bathroom in particular was very small. It also did not have proper ventilation in the bathroom so it got very steamy and hot. The pool was nice as was the bar area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
sjcagardenhotel, Manager at San Jose Airport Garden Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thank you for your review. Your feedback is quite helpful to our continuous improvement process. We will certainly take your comments into consideration in our efforts to make it more enjoyable for future guests. Thank you for your business and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Rooms Division Manager

Been to San Jose Airport Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!