“Fancy motel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 71 Hotels in San Jose
Dallas, Texas
“Fancy motel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I would characterize this as a fancy motel instead of a hotel because it is necessary to walk outside in order to go from any of the rooms to the lobby or restaurant.

This property is older, but fairly well kept. That being said, there was a musty smell in the hallway and in my room. The smell might bother some people. During the day, the hallway was very hot.

After the first night I was there, I found a large spider near the tub. I subsequently kept the bathtub drain hole covered and did not see any more insects during the reminder of my stay.

The beds were too mushy for me and aggravated my back.

On the positive side, I much enjoyed walking through the classical, Mediterranean style courtyard. The best part about this motel is its close proximity to the airport.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Texas Gulf Coast, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed at this hotel on June 8th, 2014 and the room offered to us was smelling very bad. We called the room service and they came and sprayed some room freshner but the smell was still very bad. We then called front desk and got our room changed. Looks like a very old hotel which needs a lot of revamping.

Room Tip: The ground level rooms are better
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Nevada, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We chose the San Jose Airport Garden Hotel when we had a 24-hour layover between flights to Kauai. I will never stay at this hotel again. First of all, we had to call three times for a shuttle. The first time, no one picked up the phone at all. The second time, I still couldn't reach the shuttle office but the hotel operator said they would send a driver. About 30 minutes later I called again and was told that the shuttle driver had not been able to pick us up because there was no room in the van after he boarded guests at a different terminal. He would have to come back for us. Finally someone came and it took all of five minutes to get to the hotel. So much ado about nothing! At the hotel there is so much deferred maintenance that I didn't want to touch anything. The walls were dirty and the awning outside was torn and filthy. In our bathroom, it was apparent that attempts had been made to repair and paint the door frames, but the paint was globbed on thickly and it had seeped onto the tile floor. The hair dryer didn't work. The vending machines cost $2.25 for soda but wouldn't take a $5 bill. The breakfast buffet was cold. I could go on. Suffice to say that the only positive things about this place were the friendly staff and nicely groomed gardens.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
sjcagardenhotel, Manager at San Jose Airport Garden Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay. While I am pleased that you found our staff and garden grounds to be positive, I apologize for the less than satisfactory shuttle experience. Our drivers do need to confirm the hotel as there has been much confusion with the San Jose Airport Hotel, property located one street behind us. However, once confirmed by the guest that should be sufficient. I apologize for the wait and we will certainly re-check this room to insure that everything is in proper working order. We value your business and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Philadelphia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I was here for a work related event. The room was clean and comfortable but a bit small. The bathroom in particular was very small. It also did not have proper ventilation in the bathroom so it got very steamy and hot. The pool was nice as was the bar area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
sjcagardenhotel, Manager at San Jose Airport Garden Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thank you for your review. Your feedback is quite helpful to our continuous improvement process. We will certainly take your comments into consideration in our efforts to make it more enjoyable for future guests. Thank you for your business and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Eureka, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

My ten year old daughter and I stayed here for two nights on a recent visit to San Jose. While it is an older hotel, the buildings, pool, health club and lovely gardens are well maintained. Our room overlooked the gardens and had a nice little patio. The room was very clean, with two comfortable queen beds with white sheets and duvet covers. The bathroom was very clean, nicely appointed and stocked with fluffy white towels. What impressed us the most, however, was the genuine warmth and hospitality of the hotel staff. Every employee greeted us with a smile and a desire to assist us. I had booked the room on Priceline, and after reading some of the negative reviews, I emailed Stephanie James, manager at the hotel. I told her my daughter had asthma and that I was worried about staying there. Stephanie immediately responded to my email and promised me we she would personally insure we would have a great room. After we arrived, Stephanie and other staff checked in with us to make sure we were enjoying our stay. Stephanie delivered on her promise, and I encourage other travelers to try this hotel. We greatly enjoyed our stay here, and we will return!

Room Tip: If you have a concern, let the staff know in advance of your stay.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for recent review on Trip Advisor and for giving us the opportunity. I really appreciate your kind words-The staff can really make a big difference in a hotel stay and I was pleased to hear that you found our team friendly and helpful. I'm glad that you found your room to be comfortable and clean, and that we were able to meet your expectations.

Thank you for your business and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back!

Wailuku, Hawaii
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Nice staff but very tired property. Needs a full make over. While the surface of the room was clean, look behind the furniture and you see piles of dust bunnies, the lamp shades were filthy and the AC filter was so clogged up there was hardly any air blowing. I pulled it out and washed it. Good news is the bed linens were clean so we decided to tough it out. Had it not been so late, we would have checked out and found other accommodations. We were only in the room 10 hours and had early flight the next morning. Would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Read Trip advisor reviews before you book. I failed to do that for this hotel. Will not make that...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate hearing back from our guests about their stay with us. I am sorry you had some cleanliness issues with your room and we thank you for bringing that to our attention. Thank you for your business and we hope to welcome you back.

Elgin, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

The Hotel is showing its age but overall in not bad condition.

Here are some concerns to be aware of that may help you decide to stay or not.

The Fitness Room was the biggest problem. For such a large hotel to only have 2 treadmills and 1 elliptical is simply not enough. No weights at all! Also need at least 1 more treadmill and elliptical. I could not work out one day because of the wait. On the day I did stay to wait to get a machine I watched many walk in and out as there were no machines for them. The room containing these machines is certainly large enough to add equipment. This would be a small change/investment to greatly improve the hotel.

Another big problem is the wait for breakfast. First day I waited 5 minutes to be seated. The second day I waited about 15minutes. It is not that the staff are lazy, they just do not have enough help. This really needs to be fixed. Luckily I was not in a rush or this would have been a disaster.

The positive is the garden and pool area of the hotel is still in good condition - beautiful. The pool was nice. The location of the hotel is very close to Airport and there is shuttle service.

The room was adequate though for longer stays you will not find much place to store you stuff. I just lived out of the suitcase on the floor for 3 days. Okay with me. The hallways were very stuffy - fans in the hallways would help with that as a simple solution. For a larger investment it would be good to equip the room with a larger reading chair or sofa. Currently just a nice desk and desk chair for use along with the bed.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
sjcagardenhotel, Manager at San Jose Airport Garden Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thanks for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We greatly appreciate your very detailed review of your stay and feel certain this information will be helpful to others traveling to our area. Thank you again for choosing the San Jose Airport Garden Hotel and we hope to welcome you back.

Rooms Division Manager

Been to San Jose Airport Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!