“We will NEVER stay here again” 2 of 5 stars

San Jose Airport Garden Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1740 North First Street, San Jose, CA 95112   |
Ranked #42 of 74 Hotels in San Jose
Atascadero, California
“We will NEVER stay here again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

Tile in bathroom was disgustingly dirty. Under the bathroom counter had not been cleaned in I don't know how long. Television is old and mounted inside wall, so you can't see TV from bed. Front desk personnel is rude. Find another hotel.

Stayed November 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I had chosen this hotel as it was within in a reasonable proximity to my client meetings that I would be attending. After choosing it and then looking at the reviews, I was a little concerned but in the end it was actually a fine place to stay. Is it very modern? No but the rooms and everything in them was clean, and the staff was more than hospitable. Especially Mario and Anthony!! They helped to store my groceries that I purchased and brought to the hotel and then would microwave my meals each evening. The grounds were also beautiful and well kept. I would definitely come back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Jersey City, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Let me start with the fact that I did not want to stay at this place, given the many negative reviews. However, I had to due to a conference being held at the location. In the end, though, much to my surprise, my experience at this hotel was quite positive.

I stayed in building two, in a ground floor room facing the courtyard. I was rather scared to see what awaited me behind the door. As it turned out, it was perfectly fine. The room was clean; there were no bugs; and the bed and linens were quite comfortable. I found the bathroom in good shape, and the towels were thicker than I would have expected. There's no flat screen TV, but since I rarely even turn on the TV when I travel, that didn't matter to me.

I did hear something going on in another room once, but mostly it was quieter than I would have thought. The one frustration was the WiFi, which wasn't always reliable.

I found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. The food I had - both at the conference and through room service - was decent.

The thing I really loved was the garden courtyard. It was very pleasant with the various fountains, flowering plants, and outdoor seating areas. In fact, the landscaping reminded me of some much higher end places at which I have stayed. I was not expecting that for $109 a night.

Unfortunately, I was told that there is a new owner who is planning on ripping out the garden and building a high rise next fall. So experience this place while you can!

It really is too bad, since the tranquil time I spent in the garden was one of the nicest travel experiences I have had recently...especially on a budget.

Room Tip: I had a great experience in building 2, ground level, facing the courtyard.
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I love the hotel, location & overall customer satisfaction. I love their restaurant especially "Sissie" the best waitress I have ever seen during my stay in USA for over 7 years. She takes care of customers very well & makes feel very homely. She exactly know what each customer wants & follow up evry few minutes as that help esp internationals. I give Sissie 5/5 in all departments of customer service.

• Stayed September 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

So after my girlfriend came into the hotel after a late evening (we went to a concert at the SAP arena, 5 min drive) we woke up and found that our sheets had blood stains on them. Not from us. We went to the front desk and told them about it. Upon hearing this, no apologies. They just said "well...you did book this from Priceline so they should probably refund you but I don't know for sure..." Yeah, I am not staying here ever again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Petaluma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Look, this is a pretty crappy hotel. Old, smelly, thin towels, thin walls, teeny tiny TVs high up on the wall in a hole, thin sheets, noisy. But hey, its cheap, its in a good location, its not AWFUL. There are generally rooms available if everything else is filled up. And the Wi-Fi is not great but its not awful either. You could do worse. Maybe.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms are up stairs. If you have a bunch of stuff with you and maybe a roller bag, you...
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

This place is pretty bad. I came here b/c it literally was the last place in town that had an open room in a 10 mile radius at the last minute. The initial warning signs all over the campus stating "The Location has Chemicals known to the State of CA to cause Cancer, Birth Defects or Reproductive Harm." should have been the first sign this was not the Ritz. The staff was nice, but that was pretty much the highlight. The rooms are very old, smelly and almost every aspect of every part of of the campus/buildings were dated, grimy and run down.

As I sit here and type this, I also don't expect a good night's sleep as the location right next to the 101 Highway is disturbingly loud, and the thin walls ensure that I hear everything my neighbors and upstairs tenants do.

Pay attention to these reviews. It's pretty gross.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to San Jose Airport Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!