“I want to like it...” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 73 Hotels in San Jose
Maryland
“I want to like it...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Ok this was my second stay here in as many years. I will admit it was not my first choice. Even considered driving from SFO before finally selecting the hotel as no hotels were available the week I traveled. First the good. The location is great. Easy to get to. Write off the highway. Staff was friendly and efficient.

Get a room facing the internal courtyard/pool. They seem to have balconies that face the grounds. My room was in building 8. Faced the parking lot. I just closed the curtains. It was clean and had a really big walk in shower. The hotel offers free wireless internet that was decent. Especially considering the rate of the room. Breakfast was good and fast. The are a few options across the road if you need a change of pace.

The questionable. The hotel was very full and the parking fills up fast. Always found a spot in the back. The door readers for the building were iffy. The plus, the building is secure. Mainly because no one can get in. Tip, slide the card in/out very slowly. This seems to improve your odds of getting in the building. I had to assist at least 3 people besides myself with the tip of the day.

Smells. The room did not smell but there was a smell in the lobby of the building. I think mainly it is the mileage the building has seen over the years. She just needs a tune up. Implosion not need yet.

Hair. Unfolded the shower mat towel thing. I think that is what is. Well it is what I have used it for all these years. It had someone else's hair on it. I would like to think it was the maid or laundry person. Really I would.

The worst. Noise. I the rooms transfer noise very easily. I could tell every movement the person above me made. One day they did cardio. Yes cardio. I think...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
South Pole
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stayed at the hotel on business for 4 nights. The hotel could be quite nice, but it looks/smells as though nothing been updated in 30 years. Still, I would have given it 3 stars for the price, except the walls are way too thin. I could very easily hear people in the next room and in the hall way, even though they were talking at normal volumes. This resulted in me being woken up several times each night. Not good for business. Some other comments:
- When I entered my room for the first time, the pillows were randomly placed on the bed, and some towels were laying around the bathroom. Not the best first impression.
- Pool; it is for hanging out around, not sized for swimming.
- Hot tub; seem to be popular with guys in bachelor parties.
- Fitness center; 3 cardio machines, mediocre universal.
- Restaurant; pretty good, better than expected for both breakfast and dinner, especially for price, and considering the rest of the hotel.
- Staff, not too friendly/helpful. Had a problem with a running toilet, which never got fixed.
- Rooms; ok size, walls too thin as above; hangers too low to hang pants (ended up hanging them on the drapes!).
- Location; good, next to light rail, very close to airport.
- Cost; lower than typical, but next trip I will spend a bit more to get a better place.
- Grounds; nice, pleasant to walk to breakfast in the morning.

Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed there for 5 nights in June on a business trip. It was OKay for what I paid ($85/night+tax), considering hotels in the San Jose region tend to be quite expensive. I am a frequent traveler.

The good:
- Easy access to the Light Rail. The stops for the Light Rail are just outside the hotel compound. I took it everyday to go to the Convention Center. Trains came relatively frequently because there are two lines going from the airport to downtown.

-Very charming garden. Definitely get a room facing the garden. (Half of the rooms face the garden). You can't get this kind of serene view in most hotels, even high-end ones.

- The room I stayed in was apparently recently renovated, with granite counter top, and fairly clean tiles on the walls and floor. The closet door is also a full floor-to-ceiling mirror.

- Even though it is an airport hotel, I never heard any airplane during the night. (I didn't stay in the hotel during the day).

- Free wireless Internet, but no wired Internet.

The not-so-good:

- The restaurant food is below average. Not that the food itself is not good, but the cooking is pretty bad. The buffet breakfast, which is very reasonable in price, has quite limited selections (no sausages, during the 5 days I was there), and the bacons were hard like cardboard. The scrambled eggs sometimes turned out like mush...

- No room service after 9:30pm. Restaurant also closes after 9:30pm.

- No elevator to the second floor. (The hotel only has two floors, but no elevator, so if you have heavy luggage, it's not convenient).

- Closet is very small. Only enough room for one-person's things.

- The AC unit (one for each room) is quite noisy.

The bad:

- The iron was old and dirty -- I had to use a towel to clean the iron before I used it. It left dark yellow gunk on the towel...This is definitely unacceptable for a hotel.

- The smell! My sense of smell is not that good, and usually others would complained about the smell before I do. But even I was bothered by the smell in the bathroom. Some other reviewers complained about the sewage smell. That's exactly it. It is very unpleasant. I did some checking to see where the smell is coming from, since the bathroom seems to be newly renovated and the fixtures are quite new. The only conclusion I can draw is that the bathroom fixtures are probably not properly installed. (If a p-trap is not installed properly on a drain, one gets the sewage smell!) I can tell the workmanship of the installation is poor, since the hot/cold water was installed wrong (hot on the right side and cold on the left side). Another source of the smell comes from the particle board used to construct a set of drawers near the closet area. They used really cheap particle boards with very smelly glue.

So all-in-all, I feel that even though the hotel is trying to put on a good appearance, they cut corners on renovation and on labour/material. Not a hotel for you if you want to enjoy a nice relaxing holiday or a pleasant business trip, but if you want to save money, it could be it.

Room Tip: choose the garden view rooms.
Forest Falls, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I have stayed at better and I have stayed at worse places. Overall it was just ok. We didn't spend much time in the room just to sleep and clean up. I never saw anyone else coming or going in the building we stayed in ( building 3) so it was quiet. The grounds are very nice and the lobby and pool area looked clean and fresh. Our room was very basic. The bed was comfortable but watching tv was a trick. The hallway to the room was very warm(felt like a sauna) and our bathroom kind of had a poopy smell the entire stay. Parking was good and easy access to the main freeways. I might stay there again...I did get a good price.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms have a small balcony to leave sliding glass door open for air. Lower rooms lead right...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Davison, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

It's an old and dated hotel, smelled a bit like sewage, in the lobby, the halls and the room. The room wasn't very clean, minimal TV selections and a TV from the Stone Age that was barley viewable due to age, forget the fact that is was mounted in the wall to the side of the bed about six feet up.

Parking is an issue since its a park-n-fly hotel, so your always hunting for a spot. No guest laundry. Staff is friendly, unfortunately that didn't make my stay any more pleasant. I got a "good deal" from Priceline, but wasn't good enough for me to stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Portland, OR
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Arrived late at the Staybridge, only to be told they were overbooked. They put me at the Garden Hotel and comped the room. The Garden Hotel reminded me of my cinderblock dorm room of the 1970's - dated carpet, old furnishings, barely functioning A/C unit, etc. It was a good thing I was tired and just went to sleep!

Room Tip: Road noise is high, so find a room that faces inward
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Modesto, California, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This hotel was easily booked through a 3rd party site. The price was right and knew what to expect as we have stayed previously. The facility is a dated and older facility, but if a guests knows what to expect, it is not a disappointment. The price is reasonable and the room is spacious with a work desk and high back desk chair. The wifi was sufficient as that is what was necessary for our intense work retreat. It even worked from the gazebo area which offered clean, shady and picturesque rose gardens and working fountains. The tabletops under the gazebo and on the ground floor patios could use an occasional cleaning. It was a relatively warm weekend and was pleasantly surprised that the small, independent wall unit kept the room almost chilly. This is the 2nd time staying in building 3, ground level. The beds, linens and pillows are amazing and luxuriously comfortable. (I was going to check the brand/model of the beds because I was so impressed.) The TV in both of the rooms I've reserved are older TV's and they are very dark and not real pleasant to watch. It is a fairly quiet facility. Be aware, room furniture is minimal in a king room. Just the desk chair and a single, padded wooden chair. The shower/tub is roomy with an upgraded shower head and supplied with pleasant Bath & Body Works products. With regard to the security door, my first stay it was locked while the 2nd stay it was not. I am not certain of their policy, but if this is a concern, by all means ask. It didn't appear to be an area which would lead me to feel unsafe even traveling solo. I would and will likely stay here again for future work retreats and/or if I were to fly in/out of the SJ Airport. There is a variety of food offerings across the street/walking distance which includes pizza, Chipotle, and Wong Kok, among others.

Room Tip: A ground floor room might be a great option with kids and adults who enjoy using pool and jacuzzi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to San Jose Airport Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!